Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Ampkit demo.demo and thoughts.

I had not plugged in my guitar in an ios amp sim since a long time.
I've played a lot with ampkit lastly,and i must say. I'm really impressed by the sound quality of the app.
Lots,lots of dynamics,great respect of nuances,very goog speaker cab sim.
Yes,it's really amazing! Amps and speaker cabs frequencies are really well thought.sounds realistic.
I know sound is a subjective thing,but to my ears,ampkit is the best amp sim on ios.
Oh and i must add that on this demo,i never touch any pots on my guitar.all nuances in gain come from pick attack.
That's all folks.

Comments

• Thanks for the demo and the insight, Flo. In past amp sim discussions, I seem to recall AmpKit not being as favored by Audiobus forum members. Perhaps improvements have been made since then?

I'm not a guitarist, but I still like to learn what I can to help me with reamping guitar parts.

Since you did not offer an opinion with your previous demo, I'm curious to know your thoughts on Rosario.

• I dig AmpKit. I'm vested in Bias, so that's my go to.

• For me,rosario is not really convincing,but ,may find uses for little things here and there.
    Cheers!

• As a guitarist/songwriter before anything else, the amp sims were number one on the want list when I first got into iOS music production.

As alot of us no doubt did (or maybe I'm just the only sucker), the first app for guitar I got was Amplitube. The name brands & the companies reach into PC DAW made me assume it was the obvious holy grail. Not so much.

At first I blamed my disappointment caused by spitty distortion tones & worse than naked straight D.I. clean tones on the interface I had at the time, the ikMultimedia iRig HD. But after going through my Tascam interface there was no change.

Not saying Amplitube is a total turd, there are a few good tones and the layout is great. Just not for me. I have the full version & the only saving grace is I didn't buy every IAP available.

Now that leaves Yonac's ToneStack, Agile's AmpKit and Positive Grid's triumvirate of JamUp XT, BIAS Amp & BIAS FX. @flo26 isn't wrong, BIAS is incredible and investing in the IAP's and investing time into crafting your own presets yields excellent results.

I have BIAS and dig it but my favorite is ToneStack. I bought all the IAP content up to now (v. 3.0) and it is amazing. It's the closest I've gotten to micing a smaller combo amp, turned up a bit and mic'd with an SM-57. Better than a Line 6 Pod, ProTools Eleven and my old amp sim fav the Johnson J-Station.

AmpKit is also a great amp sim. The thing with all of these guitar apps, Amplitube included, is they do some things better than others. Ampkit is on par with ToneStack, but to me the layout on TS is better, easier to manuever around and edit presets, etc. I dig ToneStacks lower to mid gain bluesy tube break up capability better as well, very authentic. While AmpKit has some cool crunch & dirty tones it doesn't have that mild bluesy distortion. Both great, just some differences.

I bought all of the AmpKit IAP on a sale so having both AmpKit and ToneStack fully loaded is an embarrassment of riches. Throw in BIAS & the excellent BIAS FX you'll be in some tall cotton.

The bottom line is all of these apps, complete with every add-on, is cheaper than a distortion pedal. So to me it was all relative. If you can swing it, get all of the amp sims, even Amplitube, and pick out the presets you dig & cook some of your own. I keep a list in Pages with all of my favorite amp/cab/mic setups and lately I've been using Fiddlicator to get some better cab tones.

Hope all this helps those on the fence about the iOS amp apps. If you keep your expectations in check (not expecting a perfect fat Marshall lead tone as soon as you plug in) and put some time into shaping your tones you'll be amazed at the stuff these apps can do.

Be cool...

• Amplitube Fender sounds very good with stratocaster! Also it has a great ampsims and cabs in the Orange and Mesa bundles.

But I think that no one can beat the Amp ONE! Simple app that gives us a clear sound like the real amp.

• I agree with @JRSIV in that Tonestack wins for me, sound wise TS and Ampkit are pretty close but TS just edges it in some areas. For Bass players, Ampkit does have the Trace Elliot IAP tho :)

• Thanks for the thoughtful assessment, @JRSIV, and thanks to everyone else for their recommendations.

• ToneStack is my go to but I used to use Ampkit before that. I liked it but the sheer amount of effects that there is on TS made that my bread and butter. I mostly play clean though.