Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Sequencers with live, smart transpose (in key)

What apps do you know of that can do transpose, while keeping the new notes in a key? Do you appreciate this feature? For example, you play your pattern in C major, when you transpose, by playing an A on you midi keyboard, will it make it A minor, rather than A major?

This is an important feature, if you want to play around with the transpose, and not be limited to few good sounding choices, and mostly bad sounding choices- like, with the simple type transpose, you get stuck with patterns that maybe use the root, and the fifth, maybe the fourth, and it will mostly transpose nicely, but as soon as you get the third in there, it sounds weird, because it isn't switching between major and minor at the right time.

It takes the app knowing what key you want to play in, no way around that. The apps I know of that can do this kind of live, playable, in key transposition are:

Xynthesizr - under midi, it is the choice between "key change", and "scalar transpose".

Thesys - under the sequencer setting area of the main page, there is a choice between "root key", and "in scale".

Step Poly Arp - I believe in scale is the only option, but you can use a chromatic scale if you want the simple transpose.

Genome - if you've set a scale in your pattern, the remix slider lets you transpose your pattern with the little pitch slider. Not quite as playable as a keyboard transpose, but it is interesting to play with.

Arpeggist - The piano roll is kind of weird, right? It seems like it is a chromatic piano roll, even when you have chosen a scale, but it does snap the out of scale notes into your scale.

Any others? Does midisequencer do this? I would love to see this in Midisteps, it's such a good interface for big fingers.

Comments

• Something I 'm glad to have discovered recently in midiSequencer is you draw in the notes on the 16 step grid and then select a Key scale ('pick') to get the melody with notes conforming nicely to the key, and then adding (strumming) chords and transposing the sequence, where you can (de)select their notes on the fly.

• yes, midiSequencer allows you to transpose notes you either have in the 16 steps, or in realtime with midi input to midi output (using midi fx say).

• edited March 2017

@Processaurus said:
    What apps do you know of that can do transpose, while keeping the new notes in a key? Do you appreciate this feature? For example, you play your pattern in C major, when you transpose, by playing an A on you midi keyboard, will it make it A minor, rather than A major?

>

Changeling will let you record a sequence of notes which you can then play back in different keys and modes, you can also have it convert the notes into the appropriate chord and extended chords including things like left hand doubling and even arpegiate the resultant notes

• edited March 2017

Thesys does what you request.

From their manual:- Transpose Mode
    The Transpose Mode switch toggles between ROOT KEY and IN SCALE and determines if
    incoming MIDI notes transpose the pitch sequence by just moving the root key
    chromatically (set by the Root Key Control) or are forced into the closest possible note
    on the scale (determined by the Scale Control).

i've used it tons. the only reason i don't use the app regularly is i'm still waiting on the promised Ableton link
    update.

• @midiSequencer said:
    yes, midiSequencer allows you to transpose notes you either have in the 16 steps, or in realtime with midi input to midi output (using midi fx say).

Midi fx thru ab3 ...
    How's it going with your Quantum app? :)

• Actually, my Roland CSQ-600 can do this exact thing. If I put in a sequence (or four) from the Roland SH-09, I can then play the sequence into the SH-09 (or anything else it is controlling) and transpose the sequence up and down via the SH-09 keyboard CV into the CSQ-600. The important thing here is, it is very very very much fun. A lot.

• The slider on the right side of the screen in Fugue Machine does scalar transposition I think.

• @firejan82 said:
    The slider on the right side of the screen in Fugue Machine does scalar transposition I think.

Only manually, though. It'd be highly useful if this were an input from something.

• @u0421793 said:

@firejan82 said:
    The slider on the right side of the screen in Fugue Machine does scalar transposition I think.

Only manually, though. It'd be highly useful if this were an input from something.

+1. Same goes for Genome and Modstep.

• @ccs2 said:

@midiSequencer said:
    yes, midiSequencer allows you to transpose notes you either have in the 16 steps, or in realtime with midi input to midi output (using midi fx say).

Midi fx thru ab3 ...
    How's it going with your Quantum app? :)

Quantum's coming on well - my beta testers are keeping me busy though.

• Thanks! looking super good ...

• edited April 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Max23 Fmt is to access format menu where you format each Part A/B/C/D
    number of steps & whether they overlap .
    Swing is per step on its own Lane , look for "seesaw" icon between A,B , & Dice probability icons under right side of faders .

proud betatester keeping Tony @midiSequencer busy .