Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

ios APPS: "All in 1" or Ala Carte

But, as a whole. Statistically speaking if we were to view such figures and time spent.

What app approach do you use MOST?

ALL IN 1 TYPE (Gadget, Beat Hawk, Tabletop, 1 single DAW alone, Caustic, BeatMaker)

or

Ala Carte (Mix of many apps continually)

I know I know..........both both. "Both" therefore is a la carte by definition or using multiple apps.

APP workflow trend of use
  1. Do you favor "all in 1" or "a la carte" apps in your workflow?45 votes
    1. ALL in 1 son more fun- Gadget Beat Hawk, Caustic, Tabletop, etc.
      35.56%
    2. Singles mingle my style child - watcha like individual apps
      64.44%

Comments

• edited March 2017

All in 1 for me

After messing around with many apps i got tired of all the kinks and quirks of getting them to speak to each other and the fact that we don't have access to a proper file system makes it even more cumbersome

Gadget, Caustic, Garage band, Attack, Beathawk 2 and eventually FLSM3 highlights the strength of iOS for me

• edited March 2017

Singles are good for making loops and general tomfoolery but it's too difficult to get them to play nice together consistently. I'm leaning toward FLSM3 once they get the import situation sorted.

In the meantime I did buy some hardware....

• Normally both options, depending of what i want to do. I prefer option 1 if i need different synths/tools since combining several stand alone app is the fun breaker NR.1 in iOS for me. There is always one app which doesn´t get along with another and the whole set-up breaks. Then i have to set up it all again for minutes to get the same break again.
    So i hope BeatMaker 3 and/or NanoStudio 2 will offer also things like independent arps on each track. Automation and modulation of automation parameters.
    My best bet is still NanoStudio 2 since i don´t know if BeatMaker 3 will have any synth engine on board.
    The Eden synth is still one great piece of work. And having several instances with midi splitting and stuff while it doesn´t need much cpu is a great thing for sure.

• All in 1 is the most productive for me, but I rarely use just that all in 1, as there is yet to be an All in 1 that does everything I want to.

• Sadly there isnt any single app that would do all i want :/

• One massive fucked up amalgam, tweaked to perfection. Modular software environment! Unlimited creativity!

• @OscarSouth said:
    One massive fucked up amalgam, tweaked to perfection. Modular software environment! Unlimited creativity!

So Reaktor for iOS?

• I'm a mix and match kind of guy especially with the rise of the likes of AUM (and Audiobus of course).

But my aim isn't really to make "finished" polished tracks for wider consumption so I can see how a more stable integrated environment could be more productive.

Gadget jams are fun but in the end I really like getting disparate sound sources running through weirdy beardy effects gelling somehow.

I like Auria Pro (and the plug in quality is ace) but it is, to be honest, desperately under-used for my needs.

Right now that is, I may shift focus, nice to have options.

• @TheVimFuego said:
    I'm a mix and match kind of guy especially with the rise of the likes of AUM (and Audiobus of course).

But my aim isn't really to make "finished" polished tracks for wider consumption so I can see how a more stable integrated environment could be more productive.

Gadget jams are fun but in the end I really like getting disparate sound sources running through weirdy beardy effects gelling somehow.

I like Auria Pro (and the plug in quality is ace) but it is, to be honest, desperately under-used for my needs.

Right now that is, I may shift focus, nice to have options.

This pretty much sums me up. I try to stick with options that I know work, but I love to just experiment.

If I was a professional, I'm sure my approach would be different, but I'm only in it for the fun I get out of it.

• I prefer the all-in-one that AB3 is marching toward once @Sebastian gets the all clear from partner apps. Best of both worlds!

• edited March 2017

Almost always All In One workflow for me. BeatMaker 2 with IAAs.

• Depends on the all in one. At this point I'm more KRFT or Beathawk than say Gadget

• All in one most of the time, I'm just more productive and it's a more fluid experience for me. Every once in awhile I'll record a synth I'm messing with into Auria, but usually it's things like Gadget, Auxy, etc for me.

• edited March 2017

Just Auria, with the only exceptions being Patterning and my synth for the project IAAed in there.

• All in one is nice, but i do both. And im veering back to hardware for my vocal processing/looping needs, but love my ipad for noodling and looping where theres no power

• @Cib said:

@OscarSouth said:
    One massive fucked up amalgam, tweaked to perfection. Modular software environment! Unlimited creativity!

So Reaktor for iOS?

But ios IS the equivalent of REAKTOR, just in a new way. Thus: mixtures, mixtures, they mostly play nice here.

• @animal said:

@Cib said:

@OscarSouth said:

So Reaktor for iOS?

But ios IS the equivalent of REAKTOR, just in a new way. Thus: mixtures, mixtures, they mostly play nice here.

Not really :D
    Reaktor is simply the most versatile thing (beside coding your own dsp). But i don´t like the workflow :#
    iOS is iOS. That´s it. It isn´t that flexible in real.

• edited March 2017

Takes some deep study to use iOS flexibly, gotta really get to grips with all the different elements in play (apps and various connecting tissue). It's certainly an environment of infinite possibility once you get to know your toolbox. iOS's truly unique offering is the innovative performative opportunities it offers for the flexibility it contains.

• I was kinda joking, but half-honest, too. Since ios I hardly use Reaktor anymore, and to me it is very similar, in the approach of bringing together different strangenesses under one roof. Same same but different, of course.:)

• @OscarSouth said:
    Takes some deep study to use iOS flexibly, gotta really get to grips with all the different elements in play (apps and various connecting tissue). It's certainly an environment of infinite possibility once you get to know your toolbox. iOS's truly unique offering is the innovative performative opportunities it offers for the flexibility it contains.

Sure, but it´s nothing unique really. Some of the apps itself, yes. But still a multi-app set-up is a pain compared to the "good old" desktop/notebook workflow.
    That´s at least my experience after some years and 100´s of tracks made with it and i know iOS has a lot pro´s over my other tools. Running multiple apps together without a fail is not it´s strength.
    But i must say that i didn´t get so deep into it anymore in the last months because it was too unstable for me so it might change a bit.
    So, all in one for me on iOS rules!

• @Cib said:

@animal said:

@Cib said:

@OscarSouth said:

So Reaktor for iOS?

Not really :D
    Reaktor is simply the most versatile thing (beside coding your own dsp). But i don´t like the workflow :#
    iOS is iOS. That´s it. It isn´t that flexible in real.

Reaktor is a joy, literally. Still.

I think it is funny that so much of what people want in ios apps were in my first Sony Acid on my PC 20 years ago.

There is a unique dichotomy and invisible lines of demarcation that continue in fascinating ways. This as myself and others attempt to extricate ourselves from PC music production in lieu of ios autonomy.

• edited March 2017

All in one. For myself, I find it too unfocused to have stuff all over the place. Particularly if I'm working on multiple tracks.

• I come from the world of a plethora of pedals arrayed upon the floor.
    The multiple app approach is the most comfortable and productive for me.

• A la carte is about to get better with AB3, by making midi routing easier, and recallable. Link was/is a big help in a la carte as well. Midi clock is a nightmare to get good sync between apps, and the problems are often subtle, with things just being a little off/flammed.

All in ones have been more productive, for a lot of people, if only because you can recall projects with 100% success and internal timing is rock solid. I'm hoping a la carte gets there, the way computer DAWs and third party vst's became the most widely used environment for electronic music.

• I really prefer the "All In 1s" so long as there is stem export. (Stem export to Audioshare and Audioshare importing are major bonuses). Things overall go a LOT more stable this way. If I need to get, say, a better sounding instrument (usually something from Sampletank), I just export the MIDI and record it from Sampletank instead. Then Auria to wrap everything up in a nice and neat mixing project.

• Singles as allinone :V

The right singles like BlocsWave with Launchpad seem a new kind of approach in between (sharing projects but keeping themselves standalone) and also sepparating functions instead to do everything in one. I don't use the same for composing than remixing, live looping, backing tracks... so and so.

• All in one for track creation, single apps for loops for other apps like Takete then standalone with apps like Soundscaper, sometimes i set up an fx chain in AB and record the output into Auria etc. Just trying a setup using link in Studiomux.

• Ala Carte, but not simultaneously. I either record into blocs with compression only, or bounce gadget stems dry. Then import and mix in Auria on a different day. I'm scared of upgrading to Auria Pro, for fear of getting stuck in an endless MIDI tweak much like i used to with Ableton. I could never bring myself to render my midi tracks. And if i did, it would be to easy to go back to an older copy to retweak. With blocs wave, i am committed. With Gadget even, sometimes by OCD resurfaces.

• All-in-one on iOS. As the DAW's grow up they will do everything.

• Unusually, nobody's mentioned Sunvox so far.