Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Fugue > Step Poly Arp — MIDI issue

hi all,

a favourite workflow of mine is to make chords in fugue machine and get SPA to turn into arpeggios, usually record into cubasis.

I'm occasionally getting elongated midi notes (hung?) where there should be two notes played. I typically using a 4 note chord so everything should work nicely. please see the screenshots below that illustrate the issue when the midi is recorded (or played).

I'm using link on FM and SPA, I was doing more complex random stuff previously so don't know if this is a recent issue (i presume not). there could be a lot of fiddly editing on complex tracks if I can't sort it out. any help appreciated!

Comments

• I don't have SPA so I can't help you, but damn. That MIDI file in FM looks intense!

• Hey @Artefact2001, developer of Fugue Machine here. I just updated Fugue Machine yesterday, so if this problem happened yesterday or today for the first time, that's a pretty good indicator that a change in Fugue Machine may be culprit!

However, I don't believe it to be a hung note from Fugue Machine (as I don't even think this is possible). To verify this (and help me sleep tonight), can you please record the same MIDI into BM, but bypassing SPA? Just to confirm that no notes are being hung directly from FM.

If that is true (fingers crossed), I have a theory why this may be happening (as well as potential solution). I actually improved MIDI Clock and Note trigger timing quite a bit in this version of Fugue Machine — so that notes and sync signal are tighter than before. This is a good thing, yes, however! It may be so tight that's it's throwing SPA off. If this is true, it likely isn't SPA's fault though, it's just a result of using a sequencer with an external arpeggiator. In other words, notes from Fugue Machine may be so close to the trigger boundaries of SPA, that it may be handling them in a unexpected way.

To test this, in Fugue Machine, try adjusting the Offset in Ableton Link settings, or MIDI Latency if you're not using Link.

Also, please make sure you have your playheads set to the correct Destination and channel. It's very important that if the playheads are set to the same destination, that they are also set to intended MIDI channel.

Hope this helps, and please let me know how it goes. Also! Sending Fugue Machine into an arpeggiator is one of my favorite things to do! Super fun and surprising results :]

• Hey @Alexandernaut thanks so much for your feedback. Always great to hear from the creator! I've tried various things to rectify the issue — offset in link, MIDI sync etc. Nothing solved the issue. I used the previous version of FM > SPA on an old ipad and got the same result. I think it's a problem with SPA. I recorded the MIDI chords from FM as well as the SPA arpeggiation into Cubasis and the FM chords look right, see attached. I'll contact the SPA dev and see what he says. I think there must be a ghost in the machine, as I just found an arpeggiation bug in Ableton Live too!