Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Dhalang MG : a milestone update (2.7)

New:
- Ableton Link support: I have tested only with ableton link testing tools and at least with those, it works like it should. It was quite tricky to get it work on a C++ app, but I made it. There's just a one thing: In DMG there are no special timing positions like measure starts and beats, so syncing DMG to some more traditional sequencer must be done partly by hand: the sync resolution is 1/64 of a standard measure/block so it's not that hard, and if started/hold at right position it will stay in sync (with tempo changes and everything) with other apps. I except something is not still right with the support and user feedback is very welcome.

• subTime looping for Control/automation sequencer. Works just like the subtime looping with piano roll. also now an on/off switch for automation parts.
  • Vector state machine can now automate/change also all vector settings (like pattern link and sync modes)

Fixes:
- Various fixes to sequence logic etc.
- UI fixes here and there and now in iOS, vertical/portrait orientations are not supported anymore. Only horizontal/landscape now as changing orientations on the fly caused crashing with the new UI optimization.

I could say the software is now at a very stable condition with all or most features that has been requested and what I can think of. But naturally I will except new ideas and criticism to come and respond accordingly.

In the near future I will make a new video with all new features since last video - and finally begin the full manual writing. I am also getting my video synth software (mac osx & windows) beta soon public for testers. And more testers would be nice.

I have also thought about changing the default ui coloring.. maybe the dark red would be nicer ?

Comments

• edited March 2017

@Hypertonal Great!

Where do you turn on Link?

1. I've mentioned this before, but on your Analog page, where the dropdown to select instrument is, your dropdown covers up part of OSC ENVELOPE. Does't effect function, but maybe if you just slide the title over to the left a bit and just call in OSC ENV so that it fits.

2. Can you record midi in-app? I thought you could but can't remember how you do that. I could send it out and record in Auria Pro, et. al. but thought I could also record midi within Dhalang and then save a midi file for export. Yes?

3. I think the default Green is ok. It's already an intimidating looking app, so dark "blood" red might not do you any favors getting users over the initial intimidation hump. The Orange color you have is good, and probably the most readable of all the options. I go between Orange and Purple.

Any new demo videos coming up? :)

• edited March 2017

Great, thanks for Link :)
    Currently crashing for me though when it connects to other apps.

@skiphunt Link is at bottom of settings page, select it, then you have to select the small switch next to it to go the Link settings page. Let me know of it works for you...

Yes always crashes when it finds another Link app to connect to. You should be getting my crash logs @Hypertonal

• @Carnbot said:

@skiphunt Link is at bottom of settings page, select it, then you have to select the small switch next to it to go the Link settings page. Let me know of it works for you...

Yes always crashes when it finds another Link app to connect to. You should be getting my crash logs @Hypertonal

Thanks, will look. Which apps are you connecting to that crash?

• @skiphunt said:

@Carnbot said:

Any Link connection makes Dhalang crash for me, eg if I turn Link on another device, Dhalang will crash for me if Link is enabled...

• Looks like I wait a little more

• edited March 2017

@Carnbot said:

@skiphunt said:

@Carnbot said:

Any Link connection makes Dhalang crash for me, eg if I turn Link on another device, Dhalang will crash for me if Link is enabled...

Crashing for me too. Even after selecting Link, and hitting "Done", it won't respond, then crashes. Works fine otherwise, as long as I don't mess with the new link function. I think that button next to the Abelton Link selection should be more obvious than just a dot. IHO

Also did a delete, reinstall, hard reset.. but didn't fix it.

• edited March 2017

@skiphunt said:

@Carnbot said:

@skiphunt said:

@Carnbot said:

Crashing for me too. Even after selecting Link, and hitting "Done", it won't respond, then crashes. Works fine otherwise, as long as I don't mess with the new link function. I think that button next to the Abelton Link selection should be more obvious than just a dot. IHO

ok got it working, but I had to do a combination of turning off link in DMG starting link in another app and then turning on Link again in DMG, or some combination like that. So it's working but took multiple goes

btw you don't need to press the done button, you can press the close button lower right in setttings...

• @Carnbot said:

@skiphunt said:

@Carnbot said:

@skiphunt said:

@Carnbot said:

ok got it working, but I had to do a combination of turning off link in DMG starting link in another app and then turning on Link again in DMG, or some combination like that. So it's working but took multiple goes to work.

I tried that the second time but it didn't work. After I select Abelton Link, then select the dot next to it, to get the actual Link menu box... it says it's connected to the app I have open with link "Blocs Wave", but the "Done" button in Dhalang doesn't respond... then, it crashes.

• @skiphunt said:

@Carnbot said:

@skiphunt said:

@Carnbot said:

@skiphunt said:

@Carnbot said:

ok got it working, but I had to do a combination of turning off link in DMG starting link in another app and then turning on Link again in DMG, or some combination like that. So it's working but took multiple goes to work.

I tried that the second time but it didn't work. After I select Abelton Link, then select the dot next to it, to get the actual Link menu box... it says it's connected to the app I have open with link "Blocs Wave", but the "Done" button in Dhalang doesn't respond... then, it crashes.

yes it's weird but I tried about 6 or 7 times in different ways before it worked, but I'm sure there needs to be a bit of debugging.

• edited March 2017

@Carnbot said:

@skiphunt said:

@Carnbot said:

@skiphunt said:

@Carnbot said:

@skiphunt said:

@Carnbot said:

yes it's weird but I tried about 6 or 7 times in different ways before it worked, but I'm sure there needs to be a bit of debugging.

Got it to work, but it's still crashing. Seems related to activating the switch. The "Done" button doesn't do anything. If I click outside the link menu, it goes away and it links to other apps. I don't have to have them started first either. But, if I turn off Link in Dhalang, it crashes. I'll wait for the next update before laying with Link again I think. That part needs to go back into the oven.

• edited March 2017

well a knock on a wood..
    I purchased/installed a Link supporting app (DM-1 drum machine) and Link with DMG worked perfectly.. I don't know what's going on there, it's built against the latest Link version and all the test cases required by Ableton are ok. and afaik there is no Ableton cloud system for Link apps where the new app must be added (?) I'll get deeper into this, but first I need an Link app that causes DMG to surely crash.

• @Hypertonal said:
    well a knock on a wood..
    I purchased/installed a Link supporting app (DM-1 drum machine) and Link with DMG worked perfectly.. I don't what's going on there, it's built against the latest Link version and all the test cases required by Ableton are ok. and afaik there is no Ableton cloud system for Link apps where the new app must be added (?) I'll get deeper into this, but first I need an Link app that causes DMG to surely crash.

you should get my crash logs as I've got send to developers on in my settings, that might help.

Now that I have it working it's not crashing so far, but it was the initial connection. But I won't turn Link off for now in case it starts crashing again. :)

• edited March 2017

@Hypertonal said:
    well a knock on a wood..
    I purchased/installed a Link supporting app (DM-1 drum machine) and Link with DMG worked perfectly.. I don't what's going on there, it's built against the latest Link version and all the test cases required by Ableton are ok. and afaik there is no Ableton cloud system for Link apps where the new app must be added (?) I'll get deeper into this, but first I need an Link app that causes DMG to surely crash.

Well, I tried 2 delete and reinstalls, and 3 different apps that support Link: Blocs Wave, KRFT, and Fluxpad. (one at a time, not all at once)

I also did a hard reset on my iPad Air 2.

There's something amiss. I CAN get it to work, but if I turn off Abelton Link, I get crashes. The "Done" button on Abelton Link selection box in Dhalang does nothing. I can only get rid of the box by clicking outside of it. Then, when I relaunch Dhalang MG, and then merely click the dot button next to the Abelton Link selection on the settings page, it crashes again.

• @Carnbot said:

@Hypertonal said:
    well a knock on a wood..

you should get my crash logs as I've got send to developers on in my settings, that might help.

Now that I have it working it's not crashing so far, but it was the initial connection. But I won't turn Link off for now in case it starts crashing again. :)

So, just leave it on all the time... and when you quite out of Dhalang and then relaunch again it's still on and still works without crashing?

I think this is somehow something simple related to the activation menu only. But, that's just a wild guess.

• @skiphunt said:

@Carnbot said:

@Hypertonal said:
    well a knock on a wood..

So, just leave it on all the time... and when you quite out of Dhalang and then relaunch again it's still on and still works without crashing?

I think this is somehow something simple related to the activation menu only. But, that's just a wild guess.

@skiphunt said:

@Carnbot said:

@Hypertonal said:
    well a knock on a wood..

yes probably something simple, hope so because Link is great with this. I haven't tried quitting and restarting Dhalang yet, will try later.

• edited March 2017

@Carnbot said:

@skiphunt said:

@Carnbot said:

@Hypertonal said:
    well a knock on a wood..

@skiphunt said:

@Carnbot said:

@Hypertonal said:
    well a knock on a wood..

yes probably something simple, hope so because Link is great with this. I haven't tried quitting and restarting Dhalang yet, will try later.

@Hypertonal Ok, tested a bit more... I don't think it's actually crashing Dhalang. it's just looking like it's crashing by sending me to my home screen. Has to do with the Ablelton Link selector AND the "Done" button on the Ablelton page that launches.

Also, I don't know why it takes me to the file management page when I try to activate Ablelton

Here's how it behaves for me... launch Dhalang>Go to Settings page>select Ablelton, then click the dot next to it>I'm then taken out of the settings page and to the file management page and have a white window at top left with Ablelton and In-App notifications turned on, with a "Done" button top right. I click "Done" but nothing happens. I click outside of the window and it goes away, but I'm still in the File Managment import/export/dropbox page>If I have any Link apps going, they connect. If I connect any after the fact, they connect. If I deselect the Ableton dot, it goes off. If I select it again the app appears to crash, and I'm back to my Home screen. Only Dhalang is still open. If I go back to Dhalang and turn it back on, then off again, it appears to crash... but is only really just kicking me back to the home screen and not a real "crash".

So, although I think the Link part is working, it appears there's a problem with the on/off Ableton switch and the "Done" button on the Ableton page. It also doesn't make sense that you'd be taken to a whole new section of the app (file management) but merely turning on Ableton.

• edited March 2017

@skiphunt said:

@Carnbot said:

@skiphunt said:

@Carnbot said:

@Hypertonal said:
    well a knock on a wood..

@skiphunt said:

@Carnbot said:

@Hypertonal said:
    well a knock on a wood..

Ok, tested a bit more... I don't think it's actually crashing Dhalang. it's just looking like it's crashing by sending me to my home screen. Has to do with the Ablelton Link selector AND the "Done" button on the Ablelton page that launches.

Also, I don't know why it takes me to the file management page when I try to activate Ablelton

Here's how it behaves for me... launch Dhalang>Go to Settings page>select Ablelton, then click the dot next to it>I'm then taken out of the settings page and to the file management page and have a white window at top left with Ablelton and In-App notifications turned on, with a "Done" button top right. I click "Done" but nothing happens. I click outside of the window and it goes away, but I'm still in the File Managment import/export/dropbox page>If I have any Link apps going, they connect. If I connect any after the fact, they connect. If I deselect the Ableton dot, it goes off. If I select it again the app appears to crash, and I'm back to my Home screen. Only Dhalang is still open. If I go back to Dhalang and turn it back on, then off again, it appears to crash... but is only really just kicking me back to the home screen and not a real "crash".

So, although I think the Link part is working, it appears there's a problem with the on/off Ableton switch and the "Done" button on the Ableton page. It also doesn't make sense that you'd be taken to a whole new section of the app (file management) but merely turning on Ableton.

it's definitely crashing for me, if you load a file in Dhalang when it crashes it goes back to the default start and you need to load the file again. Just did it again for me.

Ok got it :) you need to disable the in app notifications in Link settings in Dhalang, give it a try.

That might not be just it, but that's a way to get Link going for now.

• @Carnbot said:

@skiphunt said:

@Carnbot said:

@skiphunt said:

@Carnbot said:

@Hypertonal said:
    well a knock on a wood..

@skiphunt said:

@Carnbot said:

@Hypertonal said:
    well a knock on a wood..

Ok, tested a bit more... I don't think it's actually crashing Dhalang. it's just looking like it's crashing by sending me to my home screen. Has to do with the Ablelton Link selector AND the "Done" button on the Ablelton page that launches.

it's definitely crashing for me, if you load a file in Dhalang when it crashes it goes back to the default start and you need to load the file again. Just did it again for me.

Ok got it :) you need to disable the in app notifications in Link settings in Dhalang, give it a try.

That might not be just it, but that's a way to get Link going for now.

Haven't tried loading anything into it yet. Will try again later... that's all the time I've got for testing at the moment. Was just excited to take the new build for a spin, and got sidetracked with the Ableton issue.

• Yes so I quit the app with the in app notifications disabled in Link and now it starts up and connects ok without crashing but will need to test a bit more too.

so @Hypertonal it's probably worth looking at the in-app notifications ableton Link menu as it's this which seems to be causing the crash for me.

• @Carnbot said:
    Yes so I quit the app with the in app notifications disabled in Link and now it starts up and connects ok without crashing but will need to test a bit more too.

so @Hypertonal it's probably worth looking at the in-app notifications ableton Link menu as it's this which seems to be causing the crash for me.

I can confirm this also. With the app notifications disabled, it doesn't exhibit the crash-like behavior. The "Done" button still doesn't work, but I can get out of that screen by clicking outside of the white box. Not sure why turning on Ableton would take you away from the Settings screen and to the File Management screen instead.

• I made another update (2.8) to fix few things, and that Ableton Link crashing should be one of them.

• @Hypertonal said:
    I made another update (2.8) to fix few things, and that Ableton Link crashing should be one of them.

Looks and behaves rock solid now. Thanks!!!

For those of you who've already bought Dhalang MG, or thinking about it... on the settings page there's a "Roll the Dice" setting. With this update is now has a little dice graphic next to it. Click that link and you'll be taken to a page that either lets you pick the generators, etc. specifically that you want to generate random settings for. Or, you can select all.

I keep forgetting this randomizing setting is there, but it's very powerful for getting you to some pretty incredible places with this app. Sometimes it's just unlistenable insanity, but often you happen on arrangements and settings you'd likely have never come up with on your own that are incredible. Or, they're interesting and you can go tweak the settings as a starting point to get to a new place.

Anyway, there's so much this app has to offer and it can be overwhelming even after you've figured out how most of it works. This random "roll the dice" feature is an excellent feature to start with, even if you already know how the app works. :)

I don't know if the free "LITE" version of Dhalang MG has the "Roll the Dice" setting, but if it does... give it a go and you'll see/hear what I mean.

• I opened this again today, admired it for a while, and then closed it again, somewhat nonplussed. Again.

In other news, I also saw a picture of what must surely be you out in the field Skip,.

• edited March 2017

@JohnnyGoodyear ok. I'm not surprised. Based on the apps that appear to give you the most joy, I can see how this one might not be a good fit for you. Great that we have so many varied choices for varied tastes isn't it? Dhalang MG is one of my favorite sound apps, but I can easily recognize that it's very complex and not for everyone.

Regarding the cute photo.. I wish.

• @skiphunt said:

@Hypertonal said:
    I made another update (2.8) to fix few things, and that Ableton Link crashing should be one of them.

Looks and behaves rock solid now. Thanks!!!

For those of you who've already bought Dhalang MG, or thinking about it... on the settings page there's a "Roll the Dice" setting. With this update is now has a little dice graphic next to it. Click that link and you'll be taken to a page that either lets you pick the generators, etc. specifically that you want to generate random settings for. Or, you can select all.

I keep forgetting this randomizing setting is there, but it's very powerful for getting you to some pretty incredible places with this app. Sometimes it's just unlistenable insanity, but often you happen on arrangements and settings you'd likely have never come up with on your own that are incredible. Or, they're interesting and you can go tweak the settings as a starting point to get to a new place.

Anyway, there's so much this app has to offer and it can be overwhelming even after you've figured out how most of it works. This random "roll the dice" feature is an excellent feature to start with, even if you already know how the app works. :)

I don't know if the free "LITE" version of Dhalang MG has the "Roll the Dice" setting, but if it does... give it a go and you'll see/hear what I mean.

Random good for the lazy, such as myself.

It's a wonderous playground and I'm deeply impressed by the commitment behind it. I'm more of an instantish thrills guy today but I may well return to my geeky roots, just like I hope to get more out of Audulus.

It was the same when I used Reaktor, woefully under-utilised for me but marvellous possibilities.

• Thanks for the update :) Much better here too.

For me it's being a little troublesome in AUM as an IAA. You have to start Dhalang MG first and then add it in AUM. Sometimes even then the audio isn't being routed through AUM and several goes is needed before it seems to work.

But it is a fantastic sonic playground which needs time to explore. Probably(!) my favourite thing is the probability slicer (controlling a slicer with one of the probability tools). This can be pitched up and down (in different ways) and also sequenced with the piano roll.

I think one thing I'd like to see is global lfos (a bit like in the apesoft apps) which you can apply automation to any parameter in the app.

• I sorely want this app but can't shell out £20 for it at the minute. This update has elevated deep longing to literal physical pain. Soon..

• This is on my list, but everytime I play with the demo I find myself very confused.

• edited April 2017

How has the Ableton Link sync worked out? I'll add it to Dhalang's AB specification if it's working good. Also some minor updates coming soon.

• @Hypertonal said:
    How has the Ableton Link sync worked out? I'll add it to Dhalang's AB specification if it's working good. Also some minor updates coming soon.

Generally it's rock solid for me across the apps that support it.

It's got to the point I've forgotten it's there, which is a Good Thing.