Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Comments

• edited March 2017

Thank goodness we only buy synths when there's a 'O' in the word month...

• Trouble is I like Tenacious Frog. Excellent name after all. And you can install it for nuffink and get a good idea and then a couple of measly bucks buys you all the extra bits and bobs. For @skiphunt's sake I'm going to say it sounds awful and I can't believe you lot made all this fuss. For everyone else: It sounds really nice and is very manipulatable etc, but -for now- it's iPhone, so it does open up fine on the Big Boy but doesn't fill the screen. Imagine it would be fine on a more normal sized object, but is largely portrait, although it does twirl around to landscape but might not have all the required bits and bobs that way, unless you're @MonzoPro who has some kind of bug which might mean this is the only thing that actually works as it's supposed to for him. Or not. Most excellent for the phone-folks and we don't want to hear any more about how you're all terribly marginalized etc etc.

• edited March 2017

@JohnnyGoodyear Uh-huh... So, I'm hypercritical if I don't lap up the hype of every freakin new app flavor of the week? Right. Thx for the heads up.

• edited March 2017

Considering I got my iTunes card at a 15% discount, the IAP costs $2.55

• @skiphunt said:
    @JohnnyGoodyear Uh-huh... So, I'm hypercritical if I don't lap up the hype of every freakin new app flavor of the week? Right. Thx for the heads up.

Just teasing you Skip. I think you like it up on that fence, and good for you, but allow we simple folks our enthusiasms... :) And I hate to say it, but this thing has got me up off the couch and hooking up the Arturia....seems more of an arp machine at first glance, but it has two unusual things: A lot of presets and a lot of control over the sounds. Not hyping, just liking....

• RJBRJB
    edited March 2017

I like it, it sounds a lot like the TF7 but it's more fun to play. The arpeggiator it's quite powerful with a nice random button for any feature and the whole thing has Midi out.

It's a keeper

• edited March 2017

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@skiphunt said:

Just teasing you Skip. I think you like it up on that fence, and good for you, but allow we simple folks our enthusiasms... :) And I hate to say it, but this thing has got me up off the couch and hooking up the Arturia....seems more of an arp machine at first glance, but it has two unusual things: A lot of presets and a lot of control over the sounds. Not hyping, just liking....

Dude... I have absolutely nothing against you buying every single new app there is. I have no issue with the hype. If it gives you joy and inspires you, then bravo. It makes no difference to me.

However, I don't have an unlimited amount of available storage space for apps, and I don't want to trust them to be there in the store at a later date. I also would like to spend more time trying to learn how to use the apps I've already got, instead of constantly buying a new app every few days, then forgetting about them until the next "must have" "no brainer" "game changer" "instabuy" hits the store.

That's me though. I don't ridicule you or anyone else's source of pleasure if it doesn't effect me. I like to ask questions and try to evaluate if I'll use this tool to make something that gives me some joy beyond the dopamine rush of a fresh purchase.

I'm not foisting my own purchasing criteria on you or anyone. I'm only trying to make thoughtful buying decisions for me. No one else. Live and let live yo.

• edited March 2017

@skiphunt said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@skiphunt said:

Dude... I have absolutely nothing against you buying every single new app there is. I have no issue with the hype. If it gives you joy and inspires you, then bravo. It makes no difference to me.

However, I don't have an unlimited amount of available storage space for apps, and I don't want to trust them to be there in the store at a later date. I also would like to spend more time trying to learn how to use the apps I've already got, instead of constantly buying a new app every few days, then forgetting about them until the next "must have" "no brainer" "game changer" "instabuy" hits the store.

That's me though. I don't ridicule you or anyone else's source of pleasure if it doesn't effect me. I like to ask questions and try to evaluate if I'll use this tool to make something that gives me some joy beyond the dopamine rush of a fresh purchase.

I'm not foisting my own purchasing criteria on you or anyone. I'm only trying to make thoughtful buying decisions for me. No one else. Live and let live yo.

I hear you, but you can sound a little judgmental with it too, you know that right? :) All this "must have" "no brainer" "game changer" "instabuy" can come across as pejorative meets holier-than-thou to us sensitive types. Most of us kind of tease each other about the appaholia, you've probably noticed. And, yep, some folks are more enthusiastic than others, and God bless em. You're a big boy, me too, we get to make our own choices, as you rightly point out...and if I take a step back, and for me alone. a thing like TF8 is a miracle of software for three dollars. And I'm lucky, right now I've got the money and the space and I'm prepared to take my chances of it being around (or not) after another few Apple version releases. All good. So, yeah, a no brainer. For me. An instabuy? Yup, and I'll go to bed late because of it, but I won't regret it when the alarm goes off early and I drag the kid to school :) That's worth it. For me. And I respect your choice, I really do. But allow me my enthusiasm, here on this little webhole. Smile indulgently down the cable and think 'ah well, makes the funny old guy happy, what the hell.....'

• This is the worst buddy cop movie I've ever seen

• @db909 said:
    This is the worst buddy cop movie I've ever seen

:)

Here. Have some chips while you watch....

• Portly purveyor of fine chips. Lol

• I recently wrote to the dev and asked about midi out for TF7, which would be phenomenal. He said no, but that something was in the works. Must have been this.
    Three questions:
    1. Why is midi out so hard?
    2. Are there plans for tf8 on iPad?
    3. What do the iaps get you exactly?

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    I recently wrote to the dev and asked about midi out for TF7, which would be phenomenal. He said no, but that something was in the works. Must have been this.
    Three questions:
    1. Why is midi out so hard?
    2. Are there plans for tf8 on iPad?
    3. What do the iaps get you exactly?

I'll answer no. 3 myself.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@skiphunt said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@skiphunt said:

I hear you, but you can sound a little judgmental with it too, you know that right? :) All this "must have" "no brainer" "game changer" "instabuy" can come across as pejorative meets holier-than-thou to us sensitive types. Most of us kind of tease each other about the appaholia, you've probably noticed. And, yep, some folks are more enthusiastic than others, and God bless em. You're a big boy, me too, we get to make our own choices, as you rightly point out...and if I take a step back, and for me alone. a thing like TF8 is a miracle of software for three dollars. And I'm lucky, right now I've got the money and the space and I'm prepared to take my chances of it being around (or not) after another few Apple version releases. All good. So, yeah, a no brainer. For me. An instabuy? Yup, and I'll go to bed late because of it, but I won't regret it when the alarm goes off early and I drag the kid to school :) That's worth it. For me. And I respect your choice, I really do. But allow me my enthusiasm, here on this little webhole. Smile indulgently down the cable and think 'ah well, makes the funny old guy happy, what the hell.....'

Why is it that you think I'm trying to deny you anything at all?

I'm trying to cut through all the initial hyperbole that comes with every single new app, and attempt to get to the actual product, art, and tool.. and make a decision if it's for me or not.

I have not judged a single person on this site for their purchasing decisions. I don't disparage anyone who gets enthusiastic about every single potential app purchase. To each their own.

Look... I have a lot of apps too. Likely not as many as you ;) but I'm just as susceptible to hyperbole as anyone here. Sometimes I also buy apps that are purely fun and because I want a new toy to play with for the night or weekend. But, I'm personally at least trying to give some of these purchases a little thought first.

I'll use the Beat Hawk 2 release hysteria as an example. I knew nothing of this app, it it looked like everyone was going nuts about it. So, I watched the videos to see of I wanted to get on board too. It's not expensive and it looks like a lot of great app for the money.

However, it reminds me of iMaschine 2 that I bought because one user here was over the moon about how incredibly amazing it was. I bought all the IAPs too. It looked like fun and useful. To date I've only even opened the app maybe a dozen times in the last year. And then got bored with it within 15 mins.

I'm very sorry that trying to cut through incessant new app hype sounds judgmental to you. The terms are more of judgement on myself, ie. "Ok Skip ol' boy... I know you want to be in with the cool kids too, and all them purty and giddy words peppered with a half dozen exclamation points are seductive, but hold steady brother. Remember, you've read all this before... Like, yesterday and last weekend, and last week." ;)

So, back to this app. I think it sounds awesome!!!!!!!!!! INSTABUY!!!!! Game changer!!!!! MUST HAVE!!!!! LOL ;)

How much storage space does it eat up after you buy the full IAP?

• Looks like 17.7 MB

@skiphunt said:

• @skiphunt I think we have a language problem you and I. Happens on this here internet. I'm going to put most of it down to cultural differences. No big deal in this instance.

Size-wise with the full kit I show TF8 as 20.4 MB. Just below Sparkle and iPulsaret and just above KQ MiniSynth, Ferrite and VOX 3000.

• @gusgranite said:
    Looks like 17.7 MB

@skiphunt said:

Thanks! Not too bad considering. I don't mind it's iPhone only. This is a lot of good sound for not much dough. I like that arp too. Off to have another listen to evaluate if it's redundant with other studs I already have. Thanks for taking the time. :)

• edited March 2017

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    @skiphunt I think we have a language problem you and I. Happens on this here internet. I'm going to put most of it down to cultural differences. No big deal in this instance.

Size-wise with the full kit I show TF8 as 20.4 MB. Just below Sparkle and iPulsaret and just above KQ MiniSynth, Ferrite and VOX 3000.

Perhaps.

I don't have any issue with you at all. I happen to enjoy your wit and input. I'm sorry that I can me off as judgmental to you. I think it has more to do with the way I tend to write, it's as if I'm talking to myself in my own dialogue between my thoughts and what I'm typing. Sometimes I forget there are other eyeballs that may be reading it too. ;)

Cheers, and thanks for the info.

• @johnfromberkeley said:
    Considering I got my iTunes card at a 15% discount, the IAP costs $2.55

Thanks for the heads up on TF8. I never tried TF7 due to my aversion to IAP, but this appears to have just the one Pro Pack at the "INSANE INTRODUCTION SALE" price, so I might give it a go.

• Bought.

The arp in this thing can be used to drive external synths and it worth more than the $3 IAP alone. Loving it's sound too, and the random button in the arp is sweet.

• How civil these forums have become again. It's enough to make your horse and cart go all Laura Croft.

• Absolutely beautiful sounding synth. $3? Sweet baby Jesus in a jar of pickles! No brainer.

• I really love the 2 string patches!
    Beautiful! The FX seems to sound decent too.
    3 dollar? Good deal.

• But why iPhone only?

• Controlling TF8's sweet presets with TC-DATA, Geoshred.. Good stuff.

Using TF8's arp, punching random for each set of arp parameters driving Model 15... Nice!

Best $3 I've spent in good while :)

Thanks for the heads up @johnfromberkeley

• @robertreynolds said:
    Absolutely beautiful sounding synth. $3? Sweet baby Jesus in a jar of pickles! No brainer.

'Jesus Pickles"...that's about to become something. Probably the name of a new preset, or something bigger.

The reverb in this thing is........ :o How??? It's incredible!

• Ha ha this absolutely smokes my iPhone 5, not a single patch can be played. Anyways. Bought it to support the developer. Awesome synth. Looking forward using it on my ipad.

• @o_imseng said:
    Ha ha this absolutely smokes my iPhone 5, not a single patch can be played. Anyways. Bought it to support the developer. Awesome synth. Looking forward using it on my ipad.

Im on 5s and its constantly stuttery. Had to switch to the pixelated Air 2 version. Bummer

• @brice said:

@robertreynolds said:
    Absolutely beautiful sounding synth. $3? Sweet baby Jesus in a jar of pickles! No brainer.

'Jesus Pickles"...that's about to become something. Probably the name of a new preset, or something bigger.

The reverb in this thing is........ :o How??? It's incredible!

I agree, I was mighty impressed with the reverb compared to most iOS standalone units.