Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Creating the "mellotron sound" with ios effects

I'm am madly in love with the mellotron sample pack in Beathawk and I'd love to process my own guitar tracks in such a way as to give them a mellotron type sound. Any tips on what combination of ios effects to use to achieve that goal, that is recreate that lofi, warbly sound? Tips and advice are much appreciated.

Comments

• Some good tips here from Sean Costello who is the developer behind Valhalla DSP (desktop plug-ins, good stuff).

See post #3: https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=364282

• I would chain together a chorus, a vibrato, and some sort of envelope filter.

• Have you tried

Master Record - Tape simulation recorder, player and effect by iMusicAlbum
    https://appsto.re/gb/rnxFN.i

• Thank you all for your advice. I will experiment with your suggestions

• Maybe Compressor > soft overdrive > vibrato

Extra points if the vibrato is random, rather than cyclical. The compressor would keep the sound at a level that just softly and continuously distorts, without getting saturated, or dropping off quickly and sounding clean.

Some colored tape delay effects might work, if you set them 100% wet, turn down any regen/repeats, and set the delay time to a minimum, and turn up any wow and flutter knobs they have.

• I would say a parametric EQ (at least 4 bands) followed by Master Record. It has a tape warpng function amongst other tape-related effects. You can't go wrong with that mate.

• @Maarten said:
    Thank you all for your advice. I will experiment with your suggestions

Since it seems a good tape effect is key, and you're looking for iOS effects, here is a relevant thread from 2015.

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/7986/tape-effect-lo-fi-warble

Let us know if you come up a good process.

• fingers crossed that master record lives on as an 64b AU effect

• @wellingtonCres said:
    fingers crossed that master record lives on as an 64b AU effect

I hope so too, or at least a 64-bit upgrade.

• I fell so in love with tape effects that I went beyond iOS apps. I spent the past year waiting to find an affordable and great reel to reel tape player. I bought a Teac 4300 and it is quite fun to integrate it into my iPad and regular studio. Tape delay, tape saturation, lofi... the real deal and I'm hooked!

• @ShawnLeonhardt said:
    I fell so in love with tape effects that I went beyond iOS apps. I spent the past year waiting to find an affordable and great reel to reel tape player. I bought a Teac 4300 and it is quite fun to integrate it into my iPad and regular studio. Tape delay, tape saturation, lofi... the real deal and I'm hooked!

Very cool.

• +1 Good looking man cave, @ShawnLeonhardt.

• FWIW, I think 40oz to Freedom would better fit the aesthetic. :smiley:

• Johny app by holderness media, and if you have Saturn in auria or some other tape saturation effect