Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

I finally found my ultimate foot controller!

I've been on a quest to find a perfect controller for my live looping set up and ave been properly testing all of them to finally arrive at Roland FC 200.

**Here's the controllers I've tried so far and why they failed (in my particular case):

Blueboard: no physical feedback

Yamaha MFC 06: flimsy switches

Behringer FCB1010: too complicated to edit, heavy/large, no battery operation

RFX/Nobels/Rolls midibudy: comes close but shallow switches, no battery ops.

Roland FC-50: I used it up till now but no CC and too few switches

**Ones I haven't tried but excluded from the outset based on web research.

Positive grid BT-something: too few switches

Yamaha MFC current line: switches look well iffy.

McMillen Softstep: rubber switches/not enough feedback.

Why I like Roland FC-200

Has CC mode where all (I mean all, that includes bank switches!) switches send CC messages (toggle or momentary).

Works off batteries

Has low power consumption mode like FC-50

Is close to FCB1010 size but is not as heavy.

_Thanks for reading!

_

Comments

• Interesting, I never tried that one. I used to have an FCB1010, still have a 12 step and a BlueBoard and built several custom pedals based around NanoKontrols. I do like the BlueBoard and the 12 step but I'm now building yet another custom pedal based around the NanoKontrol Studio. I hope it will finally be a practical solution for live use. It has 25 switches and 2 expression pedals in a relatively compact form factor.

• edited March 2017

I would build one myself @Munibeast but I no longer have time for it. Besides the kids would nick all of the components and plant them in unusual places. ;) You must be having a lot of fun doing it.

I might be wrong but if I remember correctly blueboard has no momentary capability?

• @supadom said:
    I would build one myself @Munibeast but I no longer have time for it. Besides the kids would nick all of the components and plant them in unusual places. ;) You must be having a lot of fun doing it.

I might be wrong but if I remember correctly blueboard has no momentary capability?

The BlueBoard firmware can be updated (pc only) for BT LE and MIDI note (momentary) support. After powering it up while holding B it's in that mode then. Strangely LoopyHD doesn't seem to be able to recognize the notes and just thinks they're all the same C3 or so. So it has to go through midiflow first. It works great in Quantiloop, though.

• @supadom said:
    I've been on a quest to find a perfect controller for my live looping set up and ave been properly testing all of them to finally arrive at Roland FC 200.

Really nice to know! Been looking at MIDI pedals but hadn’t noticed this one. Isn’t it discontinued?

• Thanks for this insight. I have the FCB1010 and while I don't mind the programing, it is just to bulky to carry around and never seems to fit into my workflow. I think I just want something half the size of the FCB1010 with an optional battery and that is lighter. so the FC-200 might be a good fit.

Did you ever look into the Line 6 Pedal Boards like the FBV Shortboard or Express?

• @gmslayton said:
    Thanks for this insight. I have the FCB1010 and while I don't mind the programing, it is just to bulky to carry around and never seems to fit into my workflow. I think I just want something half the size of the FCB1010 with an optional battery and that is lighter. so the FC-200 might be a good fit.

Did you ever look into the Line 6 Pedal Boards like the FBV Shortboard or Express?

No. Do you own any of those?

I think I'll keep my FC-50 with 2 external switches as a backpack backup to FC-200

• @supadom I don't own those but have thought about pulling the trigger on one before. I am always afraid I would end up just sitting it in the corner like I do my FCB1010.

I usually end up only using like 4 buttons on the FCB1010 anyway. Usually Record, Previous and next loop slots.

• @gmslayton said:
    @supadom I don't own those but have thought about pulling the trigger on one before. I am always afraid I would end up just sitting it in the corner like I do my FCB1010.

I usually end up only using like 4 buttons on the FCB1010 anyway. Usually Record, Previous and next loop slots.

Then probably the positive grid's offering might be best for you. The bummer about behringer an Roland boards is that they don't do USB or Bluetooth connectivity so you always need a midi interface before the ipad.

• @supadom said:

@gmslayton said:
    @supadom I don't own those but have thought about pulling the trigger on one before. I am always afraid I would end up just sitting it in the corner like I do my FCB1010.

Then probably the positive grid's offering might be best for you. The bummer about behringer an Roland boards is that they don't do USB or Bluetooth connectivity so you always need a midi interface before the ipad.

It adds $50 to the bottom line, but the Yamaha MD-BT01 works really well to add Bluetooth capability to standard 5-pin midi connector-only devices like these. I find it a handy device to have around.

• How is battery life on that thing? @Shaken&;Stirred

• No battery, it's powered from the device. I think the USB Version requires a battery, but not completely sure.

• @Shaken&;Stirred you have any BT connectivity issues with that Yamaha dongle thing?

• Also how about the latency?

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    @Shaken&;Stirred you have any BT connectivity issues with that Yamaha dongle thing?

I've used it with my FCB1010, Novation Circuit and Arturia Keystep without any connectivity or latency issues. All short-range though. I haven't tried to test the range of the Bluetooth signal.

• @Shaken&;Stirred said:

@lukesleepwalker said:
    @Shaken&;Stirred you have any BT connectivity issues with that Yamaha dongle thing?

I've used it with my FCB1010, Novation Circuit and Arturia Keystep without any connectivity or latency issues. All short-range though. I haven't tried to test the range of the Bluetooth signal.

I personally use it at a max 2m range so it wouldn't be a problem. Is there a Yamaha companion app needed to manage the Bluetooth messages or is it being handled by Apple bt then directly into an app?

• @supadom said:

@Shaken&;Stirred said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

I personally use it at a max 2m range so it wouldn't be a problem. Is there a Yamaha companion app needed to manage the Bluetooth messages or is it being handled by Apple bt then directly into an app?

No compamion app. I usually use MIDIflow to establish the connection, and the Yamaha just shows up in the Bluetooth devices list.

• edited March 2017

@Shaken&;Stirred said:

@supadom said:

@Shaken&;Stirred said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

No compamion app. I usually use MIDIflow to establish the connection, and the Yamaha just shows up in the Bluetooth devices list.

That's a major positive factor to me. They can be found for under £40 in the U.K. Definitely doable. Thanks

• Does the Roland FC 200 require any type of conversion of the midi signal from Rolands own version? I am asking as I today am using a Roland FC-100 MkII which requires a RMC-1 to function with things over general midi. I love the pedalboard as such though, and it has a 15 meter cable. It has basically survived years of war (or "6 years of touring with death metal and industrial bands, with loads of stage divers" at least) without any difference in functionality. :)

• @hellquist said:
    Does the Roland FC 200 require any type of conversion of the midi signal from Rolands own version? I am asking as I today am using a Roland FC-100 MkII which requires a RMC-1 to function with things over general midi. I love the pedalboard as such though, and it has a 15 meter cable. It has basically survived years of war (or "6 years of touring with death metal and industrial bands, with loads of stage divers" at least) without any difference in functionality. :)

Or modification...
    http://www.joness.com/gr300/pics/RMC-1/RRC-to-MIDI.jpg
    http://www.joness.com/gr300/FC-100.htm

;)

• @gmslayton said:
    Thanks for this insight. I have the FCB1010 and while I don't mind the programing, it is just to bulky to carry around and never seems to fit into my workflow. I think I just want something half the size of the FCB1010 with an optional battery and that is lighter. so the FC-200 might be a good fit.

I currently use the shortboard FBV live in USB mode, and have used the Express, as well. Both are wonderful as controllers. Great switches, and you have full control over the Midi messages used by each (pc, bank, cc, Midi channel, latched/momentary). 13 switches on the shortboard, plus a pedal that can switch between 2 separate CC messages via toe switch as well as an additional pedal input. USB powered. A lot smaller than an FCB1010, though still rugged enough for the road. Great Loopy floorboard. You can find them on EBay for around $100.

I've also had and really like the FC200, as well. I just don't use any traditional Midi cables anymore and like the single USB cable hookup for power and data on the FBV.

• @rad3d You had me at "USB Powered" Thanks

• 13 switches and USB... That does look nice.

• @rad3d said:

@gmslayton said:

I currently use the shortboard FBV live in USB mode, and have used the Express, as well. Both are wonderful as controllers. Great switches, and you have full control over the Midi messages used by each (pc, bank, cc, Midi channel, latched/momentary). 13 switches on the shortboard, plus a pedal that can switch between 2 separate CC messages via toe switch as well as an additional pedal input. USB powered. A lot smaller than an FCB1010, though still rugged enough for the road. Great Loopy floorboard. You can find them on EBay for around $100.

I've also had and really like the FC200, as well. I just don't use any traditional Midi cables anymore and like the single USB cable hookup for power and data on the FBV.

Are you saying that FC-200 is NOT my ultimate foot controller?!!! :D

• @supadom said:
    Are you saying that FC-200 is NOT my ultimate foot controller?!!! :D

Pretty sure it's most definitely 'your' ultimate foot controller. :smile:

• BTW - one thing the Line 6 FBV 'doesn't' have is multiple banks of footswitch presets. You have your 13 switches, and 2 (3) pedals worth of settings, but that's it.

• @rad3d said:
    BTW - one thing the Line 6 FBV 'doesn't' have is multiple banks of footswitch presets. You have your 13 switches, and 2 (3) pedals worth of settings, but that's it.

That's how I like it personally. It pisses me right off when the boards' bank up and down don't send midi messages. Such a waste of board space.

• edited March 2017

Also, it's fairly simple to make virtual banks inside your iOS device. "Pedal boards" inside MIDI Designer for example.

And I just ordered a used FBV mkII express thanks to this thread, hoping it will be my own ultimate foot controller ;-)

• So it turns out I was wrong!

Roland FC-200 is NOT my favourite foot controller!

I've finally sat down and worked out how to program this thing and yes, it does exactly what I've been looking for, sending CC messages from all switches. Nice

It also taught me that what I need for effective and ergonomic use of Loopy I need momentary messages as opposed to toggle.

Let me explain. What I've always dreamt of was to me able to use max 2 switches to perform 3 functions:

record without count in
    toggle mute
    clear track (using long press feature)

Well, this does not appear to be working in toggle mode. However in momentary mode it works like a charm. So I have one switch assigned to record immediately and clear track with long press and the other one for toggle mute. Perfect.

So 'why the hell are you complaining?' You may ask.

Well, if this two switch method works I'd only really need maximum 6 switches. 4 for the loops and 2 for other functions like start/stop and similar.

So the quest continues for a board with 6 proper switches all of which send momentary CC messages. That's all!

If you know of any....;)

• edited March 2017

But you can use the remaining switches for FX on/off.
    You could also get another blueboard. I think that's what I would do if I didn't need more switches than 6. You'd have 2 more for FX or whatever and you could have up to 4(!) XP pedals...

• Actually couldn't you just plug 2 momentary switches into the XP jacks and have 6 switches with just one blueboard? I haven't tried that but I think it should be possible.