Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Best Guitar to MIDI solution for iOS?

2»

Comments

• @eustressor said:

@heybail said:
    Can you get away with just the MIDI outputs IAP if you want to use this to drive 3rd party synths?
    What does the MIDI Guitar rig IAP offer .. is it required for the MIDI ouputs ?

20 bucks unlocks the app and virtual/core midi, but if you want access to advanced features such as pitch bend, etc. (and who wouldn't?), you have to pony up another tender for the "guitar rig." From the site:

The old In-App-Purchase translates over to the new version and if you are an old customer, you can of course use MIDI Guitar you’ve always done, with the improved tracking. All you need to do is to click “Restore” in the Shop to restore the old purchase. This still unlocks the MIDI outputs (Virtual-MIDI, Cable-MIDI and WIFI-MIDI)

New customers will have to get the same in-app purchase to unlock the MIDI outputs and the price remain $20. For both new and old customers there is a new In-App purchase which unlocks all the features of Advanced mode (including the built in synths, pitch bends, etc..), priced at $10.

So yeah, $30 US for a round trip ticket, but as you can see, most folks who've bought it seems to think it's worth it.

@eustressor Thanks...

Still on fence, but this thread below that was just bumped from 2016 has some good user reviews as well as input from the developer.

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/11987/midi-guitar-update-by-jam-origin-is-out-now/p1

• I was still on the fence, and actually haven't pulled the trigger quite yet, but I have to say this app is brilliant. I ponied up the bucks at one point for Midimorphosis. But I just had a play with Midi Guitar 2 and it is really quite amazing.

I did a side by side and the difference between the two apps is unbelievable. I thought I had my midimorphosis app tweaked properly for my guitar, but I had resigned myself that software tracking was just not that good and perhaps I'd have to learn how to play the keys or buy a hardware tracker. But now that I've tried MG2, I'm definitely not so sure. It does polyphonic tracking on 3 or more notes really well.

Anyway I have to wait for my budget recovers a bit, since it is $30 for the full IAP and $20 for the most useful part of the app, the midi out.

• @fprintf said:
    I was still on the fence, and actually haven't pulled the trigger quite yet, but I have to say this app is brilliant. I ponied up the bucks at one point for Midimorphosis. But I just had a play with Midi Guitar 2 and it is really quite amazing.

I did a side by side and the difference between the two apps is unbelievable. I thought I had my midimorphosis app tweaked properly for my guitar, but I had resigned myself that software tracking was just not that good and perhaps I'd have to learn how to play the keys or buy a hardware tracker. But now that I've tried MG2, I'm definitely not so sure. It does polyphonic tracking on 3 or more notes really well.

Anyway I have to wait for my budget recovers a bit, since it is $30 for the full IAP and $20 for the most useful part of the app, the midi out.

Right on @fprintf When I started this thread my only experience with MIDI & the guitar was being around a guy in a project studio who had one of those Roland pickups into a Roland Guitar Synth unit with a pedal, etc. I took the chance and I'm really happy with MG2.

Yeah $30 is stiff but considering what an old pickup/module setup used to cost and what's available on desktop it's quite reasonable. I don't use it all the time; sometimes I just experiment with it to spark new bits.

The fact MG2 does not have IAA, AudioBus or AU capability is no big deal as you just use it as a controller & record from whichever app you're driving. Obvious of course, but I say it because here in the thread & on a review I saw pointed to it as a negative. As a sound source that would require those functions MG2 is not going to be missed...the stock sounds are not very inspiring.

Good luck with it man...

• MG2 is the real deal. The only thing to work around is the little bit of latency that makes really slashing, percussive approaches frustrating--for that, I'll mix the MIDI driven sounds with a little bit of Tonestack-driven analog guitar tone and then it "feels" right to me. It's really quite miraculous what MG2 does out of the box.

• @ricksteruk said:
    MIDI Guitar 2 works really quite well. The polyphonic mode is brilliant for adding string or synth pads behind your guitar - or instead of the guitar. Monophonic mode is a little faster and a bit better for melody lines - but there is not a huge difference between the two modes really.

If you want to play fast melodies then you'd be better off with a piezo pickup with individual string recognition.

The only problems I have with MIDI Guitar 2 are:
    1) that you can only choose Inputs 1 or 2 if you have a multichannel audio interface
    2) it is not Audiobus, IAA or AUv3 compatible - so you can't use AUM or Audiobus to get round problem 1

which up grade do i need? $10 or $20? i just want to send midi out of Midi guitar and into another synth on my ipad

• @eross you need both, unfortunately.

• I know I sound like a dumbass but the worst thing about MidiGuitar 2 is that I forget I have it & don't remember to use it when I'm either doing preproduction (choosing the sounds/parts I want or what to experiment with) or just trying stuff on the fly.

Since it's mainly a controller I usually find a cool sound on another synth instrument and use MG2 to drive it but sometimes I just go straight to the internal keys or my Novation 25 key controller, not even thinking to try MG2 since I'm on a roll or have limited time to work on something.

Like I said, dumb, but I'm just being honest that I forget to use it. For simple parts an onscreen or MIDI keyboard can be less hassle, but the different intervals and string layout of guitar make the app worth using because you can come up with parts you'd never write with a traditional keyboard.

• Accoustic Clarinet to MG2 ios to SWAM. Also use a alto and tenor with similar set up. This is about all the ipad mini can handle. Have a more complicated setup on ipad pro interfacing with GEOSWAM. I would like an option to send out Expression with smooth value control.

• @3dog : Very cool!

• @3dog That was most impressive!

• @3dog this really needs its own thread. This is incredible. More discussion on what aftertouch is as it is coming from the clarinet would be most edifying. And then the next question is - what about humming, harmonica, whistling etc.