FLSM updates again 3/17/17

edited March 19 in General Vote Up0
  • and cleared up some things I found personally irritating.

«1

Comments

  • 34 Comments sorted by Date Votes
  • @Littlewoodg So. What's the state of play/report card in general for this in your eyes? Have it on deck, but have not played with it for more than a moment so far...

  • @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    @Littlewoodg So. What's the state of play/report card in general for this in your eyes? Have it on deck, but have not played with it for more than a moment so far...

    I've put a few score happy hours into it so far, it's an audio clip and synth playground that I've found inspiring like very few other all-in-ones. As great in its own way as iSequence, Caustic, even Sunvox...but with audio tracks.

  • @Littlewoodg said:

    @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    @Littlewoodg So. What's the state of play/report card in general for this in your eyes? Have it on deck, but have not played with it for more than a moment so far...

    I've put a few score happy hours into it so far, it's an audio clip and synth playground that I've found inspiring like very few other all-in-ones. As great in its own way as iSequence, Caustic, even Sunvox...but with audio tracks.

    Thanks. I shall get my head down....

  • @JohnnyGoodyear said:

    @Littlewoodg said:

    @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    @Littlewoodg So. What's the state of play/report card in general for this in your eyes? Have it on deck, but have not played with it for more than a moment so far...

    I've put a few score happy hours into it so far, it's an audio clip and synth playground that I've found inspiring like very few other all-in-ones. As great in its own way as iSequence, Caustic, even Sunvox...but with audio tracks.

    Thanks. I shall get my head down....

    Let me know how you get on with it.

  • Still haven't improved audio import. Copy/Paste only. :(
    I know it's on the to-do. I thought it would be there by now. It's the only thing it really needs for me.

  • Is it fun to record notes live on the touch screen? Or do they want me to hook up a 100 plus dollar controller to my phone?

  • Does LFSM support for Bluetooth midi?

  • Hmmm. Anyone tell me how I can change the velocity/volume etc of a single note in a piano roll? Or is that not a thing (yet)?

  • They are being very diligent with their updates, but I wish there was a bit more substance included with the updates. There's a long 'to do' list and it seems (to me), that quite a few inclusions have been relatively minor.
    Saying that, I understand that everyone would prefer their own requests were addressed (on the other side of the fence)

  • @Igneous1 said:
    They are being very diligent with their updates, but I wish there was a bit more substance included with the updates. There's a long 'to do' list and it seems (to me), that quite a few inclusions have been relatively minor.
    Saying that, I understand that everyone would prefer their own requests were addressed (on the other side of the fence)

    Good to know (as regards they're still at it etc). Easy to get put off (for me) when simply adjusting to their own work methods ("How the hell do I loop this bit? Ah....funny little thing at the top, I get it, finally...")....but suddenly things are happening quickly and that's always good....bit concerned that I'm looping (say) a four bar four note Rhodes line and I'm getting clicking on the loop point etc....

  • edited March 19 Vote Up0

    @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Hmmm. Anyone tell me how I can change the velocity/volume etc of a single note in a piano roll? Or is that not a thing (yet)?

    The way I know of: with that track selected, open either the instrument or the mixer, give the control you want to affect a nudge/wiggle then tap "CTRL" in the keys display, (to the right of the play button) and select "create automation track" and an automation lane will appear under your track, labeled with the name of the parameter you've wiggled. Works for any parameter on the instruments fx or mixer. This video shows automation for a filter parameter...per-note tweaks probably take a little finesse

    https://youtu.be/rd5aTY2UBnE

  • Still waiting on them putting back proper Audiobus support and full interapp audio support

  • edited March 19 Vote Up0

    @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Hmmm. Anyone tell me how I can change the velocity/volume etc of a single note in a piano roll? Or is that not a thing (yet)?

    See the little half circle on the lower left above the keyboard? Drag up. Then drag the velocity controls up/down. A little twitchy but it works.


  • edited March 19 Vote Up0

    @BiancaNeve said:
    Still waiting on them putting back proper Audiobus support and full interapp audio support

    This is the thing I think it needs the most. I wonder if they're waiting until the wave editor is done. I hope not. I have other apps for that.

  • @BiancaNeve said:
    Still waiting on them putting back proper Audiobus support and full interapp audio support

    Yep. Was glad to find that monitoring Incoming AB instruments can be done. (Something I didn't know, that's been in place for awhile). Wish their AB panel included the usual play and Rec buttons when in the hosted instrument.

    Also wish the folder structure had multiple levels.

  • does their focus wth this app mirror the focus they've always had with the desktop version or has their focus unfortunately changed with this outting? I don't know how to explain it but I'm getting this vibe like I'm watching the smartest kid in class intentionally do bad on a test?

  • @anickt said:

    @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Hmmm. Anyone tell me how I can change the velocity/volume etc of a single note in a piano roll? Or is that not a thing (yet)?

    See the little half circle on the lower left above the keyboard? Drag up. Then drag the velocity controls up/down. A little twitchy but it works.


    Ah ha......will fiddle further. Thanks (and to Mister @Littlewoodg also)...learned a lot today....

  • edited March 19 Vote Up0

    @kobamoto said:
    does their focus wth this app mirror the focus they've always had with the desktop version or has their focus unfortunately changed with this outting? I don't know how to explain it but I'm getting this vibe like I'm watching the smartest kid in class intentionally do bad on a test?

    I don't know, there has been 8 updates since it went live 11/30, but there's (still) a lot of ground to cover on multiple platforms, (ground I'd like to see covered in iOS at least) that also must mesh with the desktop vst. The smart kid took on a bigass coding challenge

  • @JohnnyGoodyear said:

    @anickt said:

    @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Hmmm. Anyone tell me how I can change the velocity/volume etc of a single note in a piano roll? Or is that not a thing (yet)?

    See the little half circle on the lower left above the keyboard? Drag up. Then drag the velocity controls up/down. A little twitchy but it works.


    Ah ha......will fiddle further. Thanks (and to Mister @Littlewoodg also)...learned a lot today....

    Me too, cool thing @anickt !

  • edited March 19 Vote Up0

    maybe I'll just have to be a little more patient, as an fl user from version 2.0 I'm quite familiar with the talents and personalities involved and so far this has come across to me as them more or less not giving the people what the people expected..... which isn't a bad thing necessarily to each their own and all that, even developers but the fl team has always been among the most direct and clearly communicative devs in the business and their current focus with this just makes me wonder what is going on? I would have expected them to be up front if their focus had changed but all through the development of this they talked like it was going to be what any fl user would think it's going to be like.

  • @kobamoto said:
    maybe I'll just have to be a little more patient, as an fl user from version 2.0 I'm quite familiar with the talents and personalities involved and so far this has come across to me as them more or less not giving the people what the people expected..... which isn't a bad thing necessarily to each their own and all that, even developers but the fl team has always been among the most direct and clearly communicative devs in the business and their current focus with this just makes me wonder what is going on? I would have expected them to be up front if their focus had changed but all through the development of this they talked like it was going to be what any fl user would think it's going to be like.

    Maybe building FLSM 3 from the ground up took more effort and resources than they thought it would. I agree with what @Igneous1 said about the substance of their updates. I always feel like, "That's it?"

  • edited March 19 Vote Up0

    I wonder if they think that actually doing what was expected would be bad for business, fl on a tablet could only be described as a dream come true for a good many users, maybe they didn't want to compete with themselves?
    It's kind of looks like what retronyms did with the impc not really being like an mpc

  • @kobamoto said:
    maybe I'll just have to be a little more patient, as an fl user from version 2.0 I'm quite familiar with the talents and personalities involved and so far this has come across to me as them more or less not giving the people what the people expected..... which isn't a bad thing necessarily to each their own and all that, even developers but the fl team has always been among the most direct and clearly communicative devs in the business and their current focus with this just makes me wonder what is going on? I would have expected them to be up front if their focus had changed but all through the development of this they talked like it was going to be what any fl user would think it's going to be like.

    I think that's pretty easy to understand. FL Studio desktop is the brainchild of the developer "gol" and up until recent years he was almost the exclusive developer. This is a completely different app, developed by different people. I doubt it's bringing in a lot of revenue, and you can only through so much money at development costs. They bit off a lot with the multiple platform thing and shit takes time. They're not going to pull resorces off of their cash cow (FL Studio) to dump into something like this.

    I'm sure it's not a matter of focus, but of resources. Like trying to empty a pool with a bucket. Focus all you want, but it's going to be a long process.

    I love Image-Line. They totally straight-up and they drive revenue by providing value, not trying to find creative ways to empty your wallet. That said, they gotta pay the bills, so I sure don't expect leaps and bounds with FLSM.

  • @wim said:

    >

    I love Image-Line. They totally straight-up and they drive revenue by providing value, not trying to find creative ways to empty your wallet. That said, they gotta pay the bills, so I sure don't expect leaps and bounds with FLSM.

    I feel the same way about them, that's why I was shocked when their rhetoric didn't match their release, but if patience is all it's about that will be great.

  • Yeah, I think they work really really hard but it's just been difficult. Kind of like it has been for a certain development team here that also hosts a very popular iOS music focused forum. Software development is really really difficult to put a timeframe around.

    The other thing is because they want the thing to be the same across different platforms, certain things that are iOS platform specific are harder to wrap in than others.

    Patience young padawan. The force works in mysterious ways.

  • Having given it a good fiddle I am pretty impressed. Yes, work to do, as ever....but fun.

  • edited March 19 Vote Up0

    I used to be a frequent visitor on the FL forums a few years ago. I certainly remember 'gol', the arch curmudgeon who didn't take any crap from whining noobies (or anyone else for that matter ! )

    Back on topic, I have faith with FLM3, but I think it will take some considerable time to implement what is being asked for / on the 'to do' list. The multi platform thing must be a bit of a headache for them.

  • edited March 19 Vote Up0

    @JohnnyGoodyear
    That's what I find I'm looking for mostly in a tool lately is fun, without much futzing around. This lately means an all-in-one setup, given that the host/plug model still includes so much futzing - this is a pre-AB 3 viewpoint, mind. Yes AUx is a big step in futz reduction, and there are hosts that are pretty stable, but one screen, lots of synth and instrument powers, and easy play with audio tracks gets me quite a ways towards actually joyfully making stuff.

    Workaround for less-than-optimal sample import for me has been to just load my all my sample libraries into the app via iMazing. That's what I've done with Caustic as well even though it has lovely sample import. The issue then becomes file folder structure. Caustic's file structure is great, Rotor is great, FLSM not so much. Even Cubasis falls down here, both Cubasis and FLSM have only two tier file hierarchies, unfortunately

    Having found it possible to use AB instruments to easily track multi takes into FLSM, I'm not as troubled by the app lagging in promised interconnectivity. And I'm not missing IAA as much as I thought I would. True, AUx instruments and fx would be swell, for those sounds I can't find in-app, but I haven't yet arrived at a sonic impasse using only the onboard fx, synths, and DirectWave, (with and without user samples). And all of these are stackable, which increases the possibilities exponentially. I've spent a lot more money on workstations in the AppStore, and on their IAPs, and had way less fun...true, fun is a private metric, but I realized I had long ago stopped working with FL Mobile 2, and now with a free update I'm back in, and have made way more stuff than I had in the first versions

  • @Littlewoodg said:
    @JohnnyGoodyear
    That's what I find I'm looking for mostly in a tool lately is fun, without much futzing around. This lately means an all-in-one setup, given that the host/plug model still includes so much futzing - this is a pre-AB 3 viewpoint, mind. Yes AUx is a big step in futz reduction, and there are hosts that are pretty stable, but one screen, lots of synth and instrument powers, and easy play with audio tracks gets me quite a ways towards actually joyfully making stuff.

    Workaround for less-than-optimal sample import for me has been to just load my all my sample libraries into the app via iMazing. That's what I've done with Caustic as well even though it has lovely sample import. The issue then becomes file folder structure. Caustic's file structure is great, Rotor is great, FLSM not so much. Even Cubasis falls down here, both Cubasis and FLSM have only two tier file hierarchies, unfortunately

    Having found it possible to use AB instruments to easily track multi takes into FLSM, I'm not as troubled by the app lagging in promised interconnectivity. And I'm not missing IAA as much as I thought I would. True, AUx instruments and fx would be swell, for those sounds I can't find in-app, but I haven't yet arrived at a sonic impasse using only the onboard fx, synths, and DirectWave, (with and without user samples). And all of these are stackable, which increases the possibilities exponentially. I've spent a lot more money on workstations in the AppStore, and on their IAPs, and had way less fun...true, fun is a private metric, but I realized I had long ago stopped working with FL Mobile 2, and now with a free update I'm back in, and have made way more stuff than I had in the first versions

    Good stuff.

    What tipped me back to it was playing (and loving) KRFT and Concentric and realizing that I didn't mind their limitations in the same way I judged other apps which also did an awful lot of other things easily....and therefore FLSM again and it is fun and, for now, acceptable to me in terms of things it doesn't (easily) do. Perhaps lucky that I have no past with the app and no real expectations for the future...we'll see.

Sign In or Register to comment.