Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Loopersonic on sale for the first time ever! $̶4̶.̶9̶9̶ -> $2.99

Comments

• I'm interested; the $64,000 question is, if one already has a number of iOS loopers, does this little guy have a place?

• @puppychumful said:
    I'm interested; the $64,000 question is, if one already has a number of iOS loopers, does this little guy have a place?

not really, nothing new. the dev did respond to request mails but until now no update...

• @puppychumful said:
    ... if one already has a number of iOS loopers, does this little guy have a place?

Personally, I would say yes most definitely... but of course your workflow and what you might be looking for in a looper app might be much different than my own.

I actually have come to use it more than any other looper, and in fact more than any of the iOS DAWs. And I have all of those except for Auria, and I believe every looper app besides Everyday Looper and GTL... so that's not due to having a lack of options.

The #1 thing that draws me so much to this app, rather than any of the alternatives? Re-sampling. For some reason, in most apps whenever you manipulate the pitch/speed/length of audio, if you do have the option to, it wants to timestretch. I understand that most people would prefer it this way for whatever they are attempting to do, however before I found this app, the lack of simple re-sampling in iOS apps was kind of frustrating for me (without having to do anything tedious like load audio files into a sampler and record the output).

[TLDR warning... About to go into an explanation of obscure sub-genres of "post-internet" music, which will probably turn into more of a lengthy ramble I'm sure.... For more LooperSonic, scroll a few paragraphs down to where I will add another note in bold]

In the styles of music that I usually produce these days, such as Vaporwave, Cloud Rap, and (to a lesser extent) Future Bass, generally both the speed AND pitch of samples is changed. It might sound hilarious, but in all of those genres, slowed down and down-pitched samples is sort of a key characteristic... most often done to 70's and 80's smooth jazz, synth pop, and some soul/funk.

Not always but very often, the sample material used contains vocals as well. In my experience, trying to slow down a sample ~75-85% using some combination of timestretch and re-pitching, especially on an iPad and when done to vocals IMO, the result is not extremely satisfying. I used to spend what most would consider a ridiculous amount of time trying to find some combination of using them both on my samples, in BM2 or Cubasis 2.0 and sometimes others, and eventually more or less gave up.

For me, the perfect solution to this was to go back to the old technology that so many used to dream about being able to overcome... simply re-sampling my source audio works beautifully. No weird artifacts or new frequencies/harmony being added in the process, and to my ears it just sounds more "correct" as far as the final tempo vs. pitch of my samples.

[OK... maybe that wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. But on the other hand, I don't recall anyone asking "LOLz.... Wut this vaporwave a e s t h e t i c meme-music all the young folks these days in love with????"]

Basically, in LooperSonic... whatever bpm your project is set at when you record your first take or import your first loop, that becomes the "master tempo" for the duration of it, in a sense. Say you have it set to the default 120 bpm when you first load up a loop and begin to create and/or plagiarize... this means a few things. First, your time grid is going to of course reflect this. Depending on what you end up doing with the app, this can cause some frustration in the beginning.

Second, if you were to change the tempo at a later point AFTER bringing audio into your project, all of that is re-sampled and no longer in the same key. In my usual workflow, that isn't a bad thing... as it can lead to your 8 bar loop from a Kenny G song (like, say... Midnight Motion or G Force for instance) being transformed into EXTREME DANK AESTHETICS. But I'm pretty sure there's times when this could really F up the dope trap beat you're working on too, so YMMV.

Going by the few videos I have found on this app, most of which featuring one of it's developers, the intended purpose of it was more of a streamlined, record yourself playing guitar and/or beatboxing, general looping behavior. For some reason I doubt it ever crossed their mind that it would ever be used in this fashion (though maybe not, who knows). But for me, at this time it's the best iOS tool available for the job.

Oh yeah and also it's got a pretty DAW-like linear multi-track interface. It takes a little time to sometimes figure out creative ways of being able to accomplish some tasks, as far as sample editing. But for the most part it can do everything that one would look for in that.

Basically... the take home message here is:

BUY IT NOW.. WTF M8, HOW ONLY $3 FOR THIS CALIBER OF AN APP?!?!? *

*(YMMV) B) B) B)

• Bought it. Realized you need talent to use a looper. Got a refund. Read the last comment. Buying it again.

• Aaand @bobopuppyhead_666 I'm not for one second suggesting you don't have talent just to be clear! You have just pointed out a very useful feature beyond perfectly timed loops. :smiley:

• sounds like you know the app well I have two questions, does the app have panning and does it have destructive sample truncating?

• edited March 2017

Not sure about panning. Doesn't have destructive trimming, unless maybe resampling a loop and erasing the original counts?

Loopersonic does have something different than the other loopers, in that it is set up to have a linear timeline, and make immediate sense to DAW people. Closer to DAW than a pedal? It is easy to get into song mode, which usually a headscratcher with loopers, they just loop forever, and you pile stuff on to get movement, or play with the track mutes. This one, song mode is all it has. Easy and immediate to do like, intro, verse, chorus, verse, bridge, type song arrangements. Its even simpler than garageband. And it loops very nicely, and has the great varispeed, tapelike slowdown and speedup, for those that like those tascam 4 track/Les Paul kind of experiments.

• so how do you guys address the issue of storage resources without destructive truncation, is the resampling the only way, I'm guessing that even after resampling you'd need to trim to get things precise and still have un-needed audio left over that builds up?

• @bobopuppyhead_666 amazing breakdown. Thank you.

• Awesome

• I don't have much to add, because I don't have many apps like this. I got my copy free when the dev passed out a few redeem codes on this forum. But, I can say that this app is such a great tool. Intuitive interface that's easy to dive right into and start making sweet looping compositions using nothing else and just getting to it, without all the muss and fuss. :)

• Spectacular explanation bobopuppyhead_666 (and a thanks to all others of course), I bought it!

• What's the difference with this and Loopy HD (that I own)?

• @Processaurus said:
    Not sure about panning. Doesn't have destructive trimming, unless maybe resampling a loop and erasing the original counts?

Loopersonic does have something different than the other loopers, in that it is set up to have a linear timeline, and make immediate sense to DAW people. Closer to DAW than a pedal? It is easy to get into song mode, which usually a headscratcher with loopers, they just loop forever, and you pile stuff on to get movement, or play with the track mutes. This one, song mode is all it has. Easy and immediate to do like, intro, verse, chorus, verse, bridge, type song arrangements. Its even simpler than garageband. And it loops very nicely, and has the great varispeed, tapelike slowdown and speedup, for those that like those tascam 4 track/Les Paul kind of experiments.

Not simpler than GTL but nice anyways... with the next update (sample editor, new midi bindings...) GTL will be the most powerfull (almost until LoopyMP left vaporware status and become a reality)

Take a look...
    http://forum.grouptheloop.com/index.php?p=/discussion/13/new-feature-poll

• One thing it doesn't have is support for MIDI, so it's not really useable as a live looper. Loopy and Quantiloop have great MIDI implementation.

• @puppychumful said:
    Spectacular explanation bobopuppyhead_666 (and a thanks to all others of course), I bought it!

Yeah, he did a great job. Side issue: Are you guys like, you know, in a pack?

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@puppychumful said:
    Spectacular explanation bobopuppyhead_666 (and a thanks to all others of course), I bought it!

Wouldn't it be more of a litter instead of pack? ;)

• @skiphunt said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@puppychumful said:

Wouldn't it be more of a litter instead of pack? ;)

Good point, but they both seemed pretty well trained at this juncture...

• how do the puppies deal with taking up valuable storage space on their devices?

• I deal with taking up valuable storage space on my device by sleeping in the same bed as my master, the RAM is more effective that way, plus I'm more likely to get a cookie.

• @puppychumful said:
    I deal with taking up valuable storage space on my device by sleeping in the same bed as my master, the RAM is more effective that way, plus I'm more likely to get a cookie.

OK. That's just about this side of creepy. I like it.

• definitely solves somebody's problem somewhere :)