Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audiobus 3 launches Monday, April 3rd!

Comments

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:
    I wouldn't describe AUM as 'rock solid', I suffer from regular (about 5% of the time) lost recordings when using the internal recorder and quite a few IAA apps don't play nice with it. It's one of my most used and loved apps, but I wouldn't trust it in a live environment.

If AB3 can provide a more solid platform for multiple app use it'd be my go-to app for live stuff.

Have to concur that I have this 'lost' recordings thing once in a while, always after a rare masterpiece of course...

Have to agree with you both. I love AUM, but iOS in general is just not a 'rock solid' environment in my opinion. It can be decent. It can be great at times, but live use rock solid I do not find it ;)

Since I have restricted the number of apps I use I am finding iOS far more stable. I am now back to thinking that iOS itself is about 97% stable with audio issues being fixed by plugging a pair of headphones making up the 3% instability.

I don't trust iOS any less than I would a windows laptop for live use.

Yes, a windows laptop would score no higher in my mind either. In many ways, Windows just isn't any where near as reliable if you use it for other things too, as I do my iPad.

Exactly, it is the multi use that opens the door for instability...if you use the same thing for the same task all the time it will be 99.9% stable. )

Maybe 99% given the fact that rarely are all needed apps updated within the same OS upgrade of that particular moment in time. Even software driven hardware fails to be absolutely perfect.

Anything can fail, even in a nuclear submarine all critical systems are duplicated, just in case of a failure.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:
    I wouldn't describe AUM as 'rock solid', I suffer from regular (about 5% of the time) lost recordings when using the internal recorder and quite a few IAA apps don't play nice with it. It's one of my most used and loved apps, but I wouldn't trust it in a live environment.

If AB3 can provide a more solid platform for multiple app use it'd be my go-to app for live stuff.

Have to concur that I have this 'lost' recordings thing once in a while, always after a rare masterpiece of course...

Have to agree with you both. I love AUM, but iOS in general is just not a 'rock solid' environment in my opinion. It can be decent. It can be great at times, but live use rock solid I do not find it ;)

Since I have restricted the number of apps I use I am finding iOS far more stable. I am now back to thinking that iOS itself is about 97% stable with audio issues being fixed by plugging a pair of headphones making up the 3% instability.

I don't trust iOS any less than I would a windows laptop for live use.

Yes, a windows laptop would score no higher in my mind either. In many ways, Windows just isn't any where near as reliable if you use it for other things too, as I do my iPad.

Exactly, it is the multi use that opens the door for instability...if you use the same thing for the same task all the time it will be 99.9% stable. )

Maybe 99% given the fact that rarely are all needed apps updated within the same OS upgrade of that particular moment in time. Even software driven hardware fails to be absolutely perfect.

Anything can fail, even in a nuclear submarine all critical systems are duplicated, just in case of a failure.

Yeah but bespoke systems that are all made specifically to work together will become far more stable over time, as not so many multiple changing factors exist. Imagine if iOS was only developed to become more stable with the same devices for a much longer period of time. Too many changing goal posts in iOS now for the stability live use often requires.

Not that it bothers me, the most live use I use at the moment is for family and friends lol

• @vpich said:
    Why name it audiobus 3 if it's another app? Why not audiobus pro or audiobusser or audiobus platinum etc?

Because we might still make Audiobus Pro. :)

• audiobusting out!

• AudioBust-a-Move.

• www.audiobust.com IS available....

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    www.audiobust.com IS available....

Made me think of a bluetooth bra :|

• Under-wireless for added support

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

[OFF TOPIC]
    Lost recordings is of course not OK! But you should know that I've never got a single user report of lost AUM recordings before, so it does surprise me a bit.. If you can find a way to reproduce the issue, please let me know (email or PM) and I'll look into it ASAP.

• Updated launch date.

• @Sebastian said:
    Updated launch date.

Oh boy, now what does that mean? Not march? Or sooner than previously announced?

• @Munibeast said:

@Sebastian said:
    Updated launch date.

Oh boy, now what does that mean? Not march? Or sooner than previously announced?

Read the OP. Looks like they're delaying by a few days to coincide with a partner's release date.

• Because you might have missed the update to the initial post:

Update from March 23rd

Because one of our launch partners is having some issues with some of their apps not passing App Review in time we're going to delay the launch for a few days. We know it's not a permanent issue, but we'd like to launch together with them.
    We're going to use the time to improve the quality of the user experience, which will make me personally quite happy.

• @j_liljedahl said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

[OFF TOPIC]
    Lost recordings is of course not OK! But you should know that I've never got a single user report of lost AUM recordings before, so it does surprise me a bit.. If you can find a way to reproduce the issue, please let me know (email or PM) and I'll look into it ASAP.

It's completely random for me. There was a period when recordings would cut out after a minute or so, but I think that was caused by another app dropping out. The lost recordings issue doesn't seem to be linked to any particular app, and has also happened when I'm recording a couple of audio loops to a master bus with no other apps involved.

Everything seems fine, but when I check audioshare for the recording there's nothing there.

As I say it's only a small percentage of the time, but enough to make me nervous when doing a live recording.

• @MonzoPro said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

[OFF TOPIC]

It's completely random for me. There was a period when recordings would cut out after a minute or so, but I think that was caused by another app dropping out. The lost recordings issue doesn't seem to be linked to any particular app, and has also happened when I'm recording a couple of audio loops to a master bus with no other apps involved.

Everything seems fine, but when I check audioshare for the recording there's nothing there.

As I say it's only a small percentage of the time, but enough to make me nervous when doing a live recording.

I get this occasionally. One of four recorded stems, say, will simply be empty after a recording. I would assume it's user error, at least in my case. I haven't examined the problem closely, but it seems to me it's always the last track added – never track 1 or track 2 that is empty.

• @Sebastian said:
    Because one of our launch partners is having some issues with some of their apps not passing App Review in time we're going to delay the launch for a few days.

I guess that's the new midi apps of @JohannesD then. Oh well. Patience...

• @Munibeast said:

@Sebastian said:
    Because one of our launch partners is having some issues with some of their apps not passing App Review in time we're going to delay the launch for a few days.

I guess that's the new midi apps of @JohannesD then. Oh well. Patience...

My thoughts exactly. Including the patience part.
    Bummer that app review can still cause this kind of thing. Wonder what happened.
    Maybe it has to do with the way the filters are added to MIDIflow? My initial impression was that Dörr would release new apps to be run in parallel but maybe the new features are IAP. Either way, out of curiosity, it’d be interesting to know more about this delay.

• No IAPs. What we're doing it just so new that some App Reviewers don't really know what to think about it. Some do, some don't. We know this is going to be resolved, but it just messed with our time plan a little.

• I can't wait. I've had years of use from AB... time for another purchase and I'm happy to do so. If MIDI routing is better I'll be soooo happy. I can't count the times I've just given up the entire thing trying to make couple of apps connect...

No matter how it turns out thanks for all your work!

• Let’s hope the partner app rejection won’t delay you too much, now that Gadget 3 is out. Wonder about the media coverage that app might get. So far, opinions vary as to how significant the update is. For AB3, it’ll be a much easier story to tell as the improvements are quite obvious.

• edited March 2017

@ltf3 said:
    I can't wait. I've had years of use from AB... time for another purchase and I'm happy to do so. If MIDI routing is better I'll be soooo happy. I can't count the times I've just given up the entire thing trying to make couple of apps connect...

No matter how it turns out thanks for all your work!

Same. Without audiobus there's no way making music on ios would have come this far. The app is a keystone as far as work flow. Super excited about the midi and mixer

I'll gladly buy a new app

• edited March 2017

@Sebastian

Personally I don't care how long you take for it to work well. I much prefer an honest "look, we need more time" than having to rush out something you know isn't quite baked properly. I must have food on my mind today.

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    @Sebastian

Personally I don't care how long you take for it work well. I much prefer an honest "look, we need more time" than having to rush out something you know isn't quite baked properly. I must have food on my mind today.

Agree entirely, all too often stuff is rushed to release meaning the promises fail as more issues are caused than fixed.

I have not been a big user of AB since IAA although it is permanently on my ipad...I am patiently waiting for AB3 as I use a lot of MIDI and have been waiting for someone to offer MIDI plugins/processors since I started on iOS.
    I'd rather my experience of AB3 is one that works rather than yet another trouble shooting exercise. Take as long as you need :)

• +1
    But don't take too long :blush:

• While we're waiting another question arose here about @JohannesD's MIDI Filters: will it be possible to have multiple instances of them or are they limited to one instance?

• @Munibeast said:
    While we're waiting another question arose here about @JohannesD's MIDI Filters: will it be possible to have multiple instances of them or are they limited to one instance?

They support multiple instances.

• @Sebastian said:

@Munibeast said:
    While we're waiting another question arose here about @JohannesD's MIDI Filters: will it be possible to have multiple instances of them or are they limited to one instance?

Awesome! :sunglasses:

• @Munibeast said:

@Sebastian said:

@Munibeast said:

Awesome! :sunglasses:

Very cool indeed.

• @Sebastian what does the AB bar look like in other apps? Does it follow the design at the top of the screen shot you shared from AB3? Or does it pretty much resemble the current bar?