Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How does GarageBand's Live Loops compare to Launchpad etc'?

I've started recording little guitar loops to use in something like Blocs Wave, or Launchpad. Then I remembered Live Loops in GarageBand, which also has the advantage of the amazing GB drummer.

What are the differences here between these, and are there other options?

I want to record my own loops into the app, then perform a piece and record that performance as a track/tracks.

Comments

• Garageband is the most complete DAW for loops and realtime work BUT it lacks in midi support for these functions (probably Apple thinks that midi is outdated for their superior user experience) so for performing live the combo Blocs/Launchpad is far superior (and fun). Then you have middleware solutions like GTL, LooptunesHD or some combo of all of them (except GB) with AUM...

For what you want GarageBand is the way but if you want to go live performing these songs more than hit play then Launchpad (also Modstep if you don't need to perform bpm changes) is better solution to keep things a bit more alive.

If you are looking for backing tracks check my topic about Prime, it's a bit "special" app with lot of potential.

• Great answer, thanks!

Launchpad definitely seems more fun, but having to go back and forth between LP and Blocs Wave to edit loops is a pain. Also, I saw your Prime thread already. I shall check the app for sure.

The thing that always gets me about Apple's apps is that they hide so much of the functionality in the UI. Once you 'get it' then the apps are great, but it's painful getting there.

• Back and forth beetween them is not so PITA but you should think in Blocs as song creation and Launchpad as Live. I asked many times @blocsxnovation to add midi support to Blocs (or almost for Launch controllers) but they seem made the best just adding share projects between them. It's still limited but a lot of fun. When I makes beats I don't need so much control (most of the time sit in the couch with headphones) then if I need to play some keys/samples into it go to the studio room and focus in these parts. It let me build step by step and later play in Launchpad realtime (and record the output) so instrumentals are straightforward and "madness-perfection" free. It depends in your goals and workflows but IMO if iPads are seen as toys for producing then if you want to do "pro" go directly for desktop (Ableton etc). Not my cup of tea or my vision about the music creation but I love to be clear. :wink:

ITOH it has also Ableton export meanwhile Garageband has Logic export/import... :wink:

Others will go for MpcLive hardware but I prefer put myself in my own level where I still not make money with this so why to buy a "pro" tool when I can do the same (when no even more) with my "toys" :smirk:

Just a matter of priority, taste and needs.

• edited March 2017

I think GB does match the use case of your last paragraph in the original post.

But it requires a very simplified musical reasoning process because of its limitations.

I don't like the idea of using apple loops in GB.

The instruments in GB are good and can be controlled by midi loops in live loops.

My use case is to make simple looping backing tracks for my guitar playing.

But, I can't really get any live dynamism out of it unless I master using live loops with my toes while playing guitar, which isn't going to happen.

However, if GB live loops was your only instrument, and you were solely working with prerecorded tracks, it becomes more dynamic.

But, not having the ability to easily dynamically alter tempo may become too much of a limitation since it is buried in that wrench menu.

So for me to get dynamism in my use case, I would have to pre-program the parts and record them to a track and then loop them, which makes live loops only good for the programming side of things.

So basically I'm just going with making things as simple as possible for myself and leaning on my guitar playing for live dynamism.

I also love the amps in GB for my guitar.

• @FreakLambs Did you tried GTL? Maybe you will find it useful in your workflow...

• I haven't but will.

I've always had some problem with loopers since I'm someone who ideally likes to free improvise with other live players, and have that pure dynamism of immediate call and response.

There's something about the Drummers in Logic and GB which compel me, though it seems to me that the GB drummers don't have the heavy humanizing details that Logic has, so they sound more repetitive, which can be a good thing, since the Logic ones go to the point of making flat out flubs if they aren't reeled in.

I suppose ideally I need more AI controlled instruments, but at that point I'm not sure my own musical contribution to the result would be worth much.

• I just bought Group the Loop. What a great app! Now I think I might be recording everything in there and moving it to a launchpad app.