Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Confirmed: AB3 in late March! [UPDATED]

2»

Comments

• @Dchild said:
    @Sebastian @Michael Will loopy masterpiece be making an appearance?

No, Loopy MPE is not going to be ready.

• @ToMess said:

@Sebastian said:

>

leak

What happens to audiobus remote? It still works with AB3 or will there be a new version of it as well?

Audiobus Remote is not yet compatible with Audiobus 3, at least not in a way that we want to advertise it. There are a few issues with icon placement and Audio Unit Extensions not showing up yet. We're going to fix that very soon after the launch of Audiobus 3.

Would be nice to see all the already confirmed functions of the app listed here on this topic. Im sure there are other stuff out there about it than just the fact that it supports AU's. Didnt you talk about this at least some in the the mobile music in the making or what ever it was called? I looked at the speaker thing and there was some talk about trobles in developing apps etc and talking about AB, im sure you mentioned at least something other than AU about AB3

Here are the main features that are going to be interesting for existing Audiobus 2 users:

1. A totally new way to set up MIDI connections between compatible apps. All IAA instruments that are compatible with Audiobus will be usable as MIDI destinations. MIDI controllers will need to update to the newest SDK and support Audiobus 3's MIDI system. We're launching with a few of the best MIDI controller apps for that. And of course MIDI filters are a whole new category of apps, of which there will be a handful when we launch, made by Johannes Dörr, the creator of midiFlow
    2. Support for Audio Unit Extensions.
    3. A basic input mixer to adjust volumes of all sound generators
    4. Apps with the new Audiobus 3 SDK will launch into the background. All MIDI controllers and filters with the new Audiobus MIDI system will support this. Combined with Audio Unit Extensions and the new Audiobus MIDI system this turns Audiobus 3 into a really amazing place to set up your whole workflow, save it as an Audiobus preset and then restore it later on.
    5. Support for split view and slide-over on compatible devices so that you can adjust the volume without having to switch apps - just slide in the side panel and use the Audiobus mixer in that. It's handy.

We've worked on this for more than 2 years now and the main focus of it was to save our users time and present them with a platform that is fun and inspiring to use. More making music, less thinking about how to do it.

Cheers.

• Wait a minute, let me get this straight @Sebastian
    Are you saying, that AU's can be MIDI controlled by other apps, and the new MIDI effect class?

• @DeVlaeminck said:
    Wait a minute, let me get this straight @Sebastian
    Are you saying, that AU's can be MIDI controlled by other apps, and the new MIDI effect class?

Yes.

• @TheVimFuego said:

@Sebastian said:
    Does anyone mind if we launch together with Gadget? I'm not sure when they launch. We can still postpone so you guys have more time with either app... although I guess Gadget and Audiobus go together really well.

Launch when ready, ignore the rest of the world IMO.

Agreed. Launch when ready

• @Sebastian said:

@ToMess said:

@Sebastian said:

>

leak

What happens to audiobus remote? It still works with AB3 or will there be a new version of it as well?

Audiobus Remote is not yet compatible with Audiobus 3, at least not in a way that we want to advertise it. There are a few issues with icon placement and Audio Unit Extensions not showing up yet. We're going to fix that very soon after the launch of Audiobus 3.

Would be nice to see all the already confirmed functions of the app listed here on this topic. Im sure there are other stuff out there about it than just the fact that it supports AU's. Didnt you talk about this at least some in the the mobile music in the making or what ever it was called? I looked at the speaker thing and there was some talk about trobles in developing apps etc and talking about AB, im sure you mentioned at least something other than AU about AB3

Here are the main features that are going to be interesting for existing Audiobus 2 users:

1. A totally new way to set up MIDI connections between compatible apps. All IAA instruments that are compatible with Audiobus will be usable as MIDI destinations. MIDI controllers will need to update to the newest SDK and support Audiobus 3's MIDI system. We're launching with a few of the best MIDI controller apps for that. And of course MIDI filters are a whole new category of apps, of which there will be a handful when we launch, made by Johannes Dörr, the creator of midiFlow
    2. Support for Audio Unit Extensions.
    3. A basic input mixer to adjust volumes of all sound generators
    4. Apps with the new Audiobus 3 SDK will launch into the background. All MIDI controllers and filters with the new Audiobus MIDI system will support this. Combined with Audio Unit Extensions and the new Audiobus MIDI system this turns Audiobus 3 into a really amazing place to set up your whole workflow, save it as an Audiobus preset and then restore it later on.
    5. Support for split view and slide-over on compatible devices so that you can adjust the volume without having to switch apps - just slide in the side panel and use the Audiobus mixer in that. It's handy.

We've worked on this for more than 2 years now and the main focus of it was to save our users time and present them with a platform that is fun and inspiring to use. More making music, less thinking about how to do it.

Cheers.

Thats cool. I dont really have any urgent need for ab remote(dont feel the need for it in my current work flow).

What i think would be really sweet for this(or AUM) is some simple AU midi sequencers. Like one for melodies and one for drums/samples. Shouldnt be too hard to build and would definitely take this to a whole new level. This midi filter thing sounds like it could be useful. This means that you can send omni to AB and then just quickly select from the midi filter, which channel gets through(with ofc different apps on different channels, making it essentially a selector on which apps to send midi to)?

• @Sebastian said:

@DeVlaeminck said:

Yes.

And this includes MIDI from one AU to another?

• @DeVlaeminck said:

@Sebastian said:

@DeVlaeminck said:

Yes.

No, that's not possible. Yet.

• edited March 2017

Will we get mute/solo/pan and send/return and grouping for the mixer or is it really just volume per track? A screen shot of the mixer view would be awesome!

...and please: Don't wait any longer than absolutely necessary, thanks!

• Disc chord has extra details too.
    http://discchord.com/appnews/

• @Sebastian said:

@DeVlaeminck said:

@Sebastian said:

@DeVlaeminck said:

Yes.

Thats kind of a bummer :/ Have you thought about making some built in sequencer for this? Something that would work similar to AU's(as in able to load multiple instances). Or is sequencing something you want to leave for other developers/apps?

• @Munibeast said:
    Will we get mute/solo/pan and send/return and grouping for the mixer or is it really just volume per track? A screen shot of the mixer view would be awesome!

Mute/solo/pan: yes.
    Send/return: not in version 3.0

• @ToMess said:

@Sebastian said:

@DeVlaeminck said:

@Sebastian said:

@DeVlaeminck said:

Yes.

Thats kind of a bummer :/ Have you thought about making some built in sequencer for this? Something that would work similar to AU's(as in able to load multiple instances). Or is sequencing something you want to leave for other developers/apps?

I said yet. WINK WINK

• Does that mean we can see the first rumors of Audiobus 4 soon :D

• edited March 2017

@Cib said:
    Does that mean we can see the first rumors of Audiobus 4 soon :D

omg

• @Sebastian said:

@Munibeast said:

Great, thanks! So send/return and groups could come in 3.1 possibly :wink:

• @Munibeast said:

@Sebastian said:

@Munibeast said:

Great, thanks! So send/return and groups could come in 3.1 possibly :wink:

Make it 3.2+

The 3.1 release already has about so many important features in it.

• @Sebastian said:

@Cib said:
    Does that mean we can see the first rumors of Audiobus 4 soon :D

omg

Of course it is a bad joke i know >:)
    But you know, it´s the same with everything today. It seems people are more and more waiting for "new" stuff always instead of learning and using the tools we already have.......me included sadly.
    I changed that and it is great to explore some old stuff and how good some things are after re-exploring them.
    Apps and i-devices also moving so fast that they are old even before we learned them inside out. It´s a bit sad.
    However, looking forward for some midi goodness in Audiobus 3.
    I hope it has some kind of state saving for midi set-ups too. That would be great.

• @Sebastian said:
    I said yet. WINK WINK

Wink winks makes it sound like ios music is going to right direction :) That would be a really nice upgrade for AU's. Personally i would really like that there would be a sequencer for each AU, instead of having to use a single separate app with multiple pages for different apps. Would be so nice to have sequencer AU synth and one or two effects on the same page. AB3 does support multiple au windows on at the same time, like AUM does, right? I have noticed one thing with AUM and multiple AU windows at the same time that doesent work as well as it could. Basically, if i have for example 3 effect AU's at the same time, i need to close the windows to make room for another stream with same thing going on, and closing them requires me to resize and arrange them again. It would be so cool if there was something similar, but with the ability to hide AU windows when selecting other track with another AU's, so that the window size and positions remains the same after you hide and unhide them from some particular track. This might be bit too much work tho, but if its not too much work, this is something that would be a big deal for many(and could be a decising factor for some trying to decide between AB3 and AUM, that is if the feature is advertised ofc). Even if people dont know that this is what they want yet, because i think most people just havent thought about it.

• edited March 2017

Sorry, I've had to make a new thread about this because we might change the launch date by a few days.

After some communication with Michael we've decided to make sure that our launch date does not collide with Gadget 3. It's a business thing. Sorry for the confusion but here's what's important: Audiobus 3 is ready and we're launching in late March on a day that Gadget is not launching (+ maybe 1 or 2 days for the media to calm down about Gadget again).
    I've just contacted Korg to figure out when they launch exactly and then we're going to announce the day that we'll launch Audiobus 3.

You can continue to talk about this in the new thread:
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/17822/audiobus-3-launches-in-late-march#latest

This discussion has been closed.