Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Anyone had any success getting samples out of Logic Pro onto your iPad?

I am looking to get alot of drum hits and EXS instruments out of LPX and into my iPad for Beathawk. Anybody done anything like this? Is there any easier way than Bouncing a track full of random samples, itunes copy to audioshare, trim into individual hits > Beathawk?

Comments

• How about locating those individual hits, I mean individual audio files, and then copying them to AudioShare?

• I do the capturing / editing / heavy lifting within the relative luxury of Logic (the audio editor is excellent) then render to Dropbox and store / access in AudioShare.

• The most efficient way to do it would be using the AutoSampler plugin (included in MainStage)

• I would also like to use some elaborate instruments from the exs-24, but, not only no good way to export them to the ipad, there isn't a deep enough sampler in ios to use them right (velocity layers, sample per key, round robin, etc.). I think there will be, as storage for big sample libraries happens on ios devices.

For the original poster, I think you would probably use, under the Instrument menu in the exs-24

Export Sampler Instrument and Sample Files: Copies the selected sampler instrument (including all associated audio files) to another folder location. Choosing this command opens a standard file selector. You may browse to an existing folder or create a new folder. You can also use the Export Sampler Instrument and Sample Files key command (default: Control-C).

Then zip up the audio files and get them into audioshare somehow. Maybe Airdrop if you have that working.

• @Processaurus said:
    I would also like to use some elaborate instruments from the exs-24, but, not only no good way to export them to the ipad, there isn't a deep enough sampler in ios to use them right (velocity layers, sample per key, round robin, etc.). [...]

I thought someone figured out how to get exs instruments going in Auria. Does it handle all that correctly?

• edited March 2017

@Hmtx said:

@Processaurus said:
    I would also like to use some elaborate instruments from the exs-24, but, not only no good way to export them to the ipad, there isn't a deep enough sampler in ios to use them right (velocity layers, sample per key, round robin, etc.). [...]

I thought someone figured out how to get exs instruments going in Auria. Does it handle all that correctly?

The couple of synth packages I tried on them...I'd say 2/3-3/4 of the patches worked. The rest were silent...I'm assuming because of complex layers/modulation that the Auria sampler just can't handle (yet?). At this point I don't think it's worth the trouble and space.

• Thanks for the input yall. I will putz around and see what I can do.

• @oat_phipps said:

@Hmtx said:

@Processaurus said:

The couple of synth packages I tried on them...I'd say 2/3-3/4 of the patches worked. The rest were silent...I'm assuming because of complex layers/modulation that the Auria sampler just can't handle (yet?). At this point I don't think it's worth the trouble and space.

Check what audio files those patches include. Most of the samples are .AIF files but some are .CAF and I don't think Auria supports that format.

• @Gaia.Tree said:
    Thanks for the input yall. I will putz around and see what I can do.

If you have MainStage, just use the AutoSampler plugin. Or buy it if you don't :)

It's super easy and can sample any AU instrument, not just the EXS-based ones.

When it's finished, you can find your files in ~/Music/Audio Music Apps/Samples/Auto Sampled/<name> in the following format <instrument name>-<note>-<velocity>-<random id>.aif:

Hopeful Synth-C1-127-ER7P.aif
    Hopeful Synth-C1-32-5WTD.aif
    Hopeful Synth-C1-64-HEDA.aif
    Hopeful Synth-C1-95-BBHS.aif
    Hopeful Synth-F#1-127-3B17.aif
    Hopeful Synth-F#1-32-ZEQH.aif
    Hopeful Synth-F#1-64-W5M9.aif
    Hopeful Synth-F#1-95-MZC1.aif

• I knew i bought mainstage for a reason. Thanks! Now to see how easy I can get an instrument into beathawk. Thanks again for the Autosampler tip

• @yug said:
    If you have MainStage, just use the AutoSampler plugin. Or buy it if you don't :)

Ha! Been using MainStage (without Logic Pro X) and didn’t know about this part. Really, MS is the gift which keeps on giving. Especially at the price. Just wish it could integrate better with other apps, which isn’t ever likely to happen.

Otherwise, might have suggested some audio connection between Mac and iPad. Doesn’t Studiomux work both ways? At least, it can send audio to iOS devices for effects, so it might allow for a direct integration with BeatHawk? Sorry if this is way off.

• edited March 2017

@yug said:

It's super easy and can sample any AU instrument, not just the EXS-based ones.

When it's finished, you can find your files in ~/Music/Audio Music Apps/Samples/Auto Sampled/<name> in the following format <instrument name>-<note>-<velocity>-<random id>.aif:

Hopeful Synth-C1-127-ER7P.aif
    Hopeful Synth-C1-32-5WTD.aif
    Hopeful Synth-C1-64-HEDA.aif
    Hopeful Synth-C1-95-BBHS.aif
    Hopeful Synth-F#1-127-3B17.aif
    Hopeful Synth-F#1-32-ZEQH.aif
    Hopeful Synth-F#1-64-W5M9.aif
    Hopeful Synth-F#1-95-MZC1.aif

Also, for those who'd like to use it in Auria: besides the audio files, Auto Sampler also creates a new .EXS file in ~/Music/Audio Music Apps/Sampler Instruments/Auto Sampled. It's a simple method to reduce the size of the sampled instruments (some of the stock ones like grand pianos are very big)

• @Enkerli said:

@yug said:

Ha! Been using MainStage (without Logic Pro X) and didn’t know about this part. Really, MS is the gift which keeps on giving. Especially at the price. Just wish it could integrate better with other apps, which isn’t ever likely to happen.

Otherwise, might have suggested some audio connection between Mac and iPad. Doesn’t Studiomux work both ways? At least, it can send audio to iOS devices for effects, so it might allow for a direct integration with BeatHawk? Sorry if this is way off.

Yes, Studiomux works both ways. Though I never tried sending audio in the opposite direction (from macOS to iOS). I prefer using the output files from Auto Sampler. It's just simpler and quicker, especially if you want to have those sounds in more than one app.

Also, I use Cubase, not LPX, and Cubase does not support Audio Units. So, when I want to have something from the MainStage library in Cubase, I sample that instrument, create a soundfont and then use it in Cubase (and also in bs-16i on the iPad)

• @yug said:

@Enkerli said:

@yug said:

Yes, Studiomux works both ways. Though I never tried sending audio in the opposite direction (from macOS to iOS). I prefer using the output files from Auto Sampler. It's just simpler and quicker, especially if you want to have those sounds in more than one app.

Also, I use Cubase, not LPX, and Cubase does not support Audio Units. So, when I want to have something from the MainStage library in Cubase, I sample that instrument, create a soundfont and then use it in Cubase (and also in bs-16i on the iPad)

Do you mean Mainstage can make soundfonts?

• I have no experience with Beathawk. You have access to most of Logic's factory samples in the Library/Application Support/Logic folder.

I have used EXS24 libraries in Auria Pro's Lyra sampler. It works just fine!

• @BiancaNeve said:

@yug said:

@Enkerli said:

@yug said:

Do you mean Mainstage can make soundfonts?

No, I do it myself. I developed a small tool to create .SFZ files based on the audio files from Auto Sampler, and when I need .SF2 I use the Polyphone tool for conversion