Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

BeatHawk 2 is live

Comments

• Can anyone tell me if it's possible to create "Instruments" from user samples. Rather than take up a separate pad for each imported sound, I would like to group them and then be able to play them in "pitch" mode with each key firing a different sample. Like the sound pack instruments. I couldn't find anywhere that describes how to do this. Maybe not possible?

• @ToMess said:
    Also i think it would be much better if you could play "pitch" of a selected pad with midi keys without having to go to the pitch thing. Pads should be midi CC mappable imo and notes should play the selected pad. I know not everyone would like this, but there should be an option for this, as it would allow to use both pads and keys in a proper way.

-- Go to Preferences -> Uncheck Send Omni option

There should be a proper recording of audio input. First of all START FROM BEGINNING OF THE LOOP, not when you push the button. This is just no brainer, im sure im not the only one not wanting to cut like hell every time you record something. Rec starting immediately simply makes it impossible to record anything that wouldnt need trimming. Predetermine audio loop length before recording is also REALLY important on recording proper loops. And ofc the ability to for example start from mid way(the thing you select it with needs to stick to quantize thing to make it 10 times easier to cut loops) and go to end. This allows you to also record in the reverb/delay tails(by recording it twice and cutting from the middle and selecting the later part).

-- I took note of that, I understand the struggle

Also for sampling, it needs to start rec when it hears input.

-- It should, adjust threshold

Ps. The audio unit is fucked up even if using only one instance of it. You should also make the AU window to stretch properly

@richardyot said:
    Unfortunately I've found a nasty bug:

When recording on one of the pads, hitting undo (just once) resulted in two of the other loops I'd recorded earlier on other pads being wiped as well, and no way to recover them (obviously tried hitting redo). So I had imported a drum loop, then recorded a bass line, some piano chords, and was trying to record a melody on a different pad, and when I hit undo because the timing was out both my bass and my chords were wiped along with the melody. This happened on two separate occasions and I ended up losing pretty much all the work I had done.

Undo/Redo is only for the sequencer.
    Here is how it works: While you are recording, each time the loops ends, if there were modifications made, then it saves to the History. So when you press undo it removes all the events that were added in the previous loop.
    Backing up for each note would not be straight forward and break the workflow. (We tried).
    If you need to tweak a little bit the sequence you can use the step editor.
    In Step Editor Mode you can undo/redo all actions one by one.

• @richardyot said:
    @BastienCo Just FYI tapping the help button brings up a blank white screen on my iPad Air 2 running ios 10.2

-- Will be fixed in 2.0.1

• edited March 2017

@BastienCo I don't think you are understanding what I'm saying, please re-read my prior post carefully - the undo bug is deleting work that was recorded in other takes on other (currently inactive) pads, maybe 15-20 minutes prior to the take I was currently working on. Two other people have also said they have experienced the same bug, and IMO it's a showstopper because it caused me to lose my entire session twice, at least an hour of work.

I'll repost the bug description in the spoiler:

When recording on one of the pads, hitting undo (just once) resulted in two of the other loops I'd recorded earlier on other pads being wiped as well, and no way to recover them (obviously tried hitting redo). So I had imported a drum loop, then recorded a bass line, some piano chords, and was trying to record a melody on a different pad, and when I hit undo because the timing was out both my bass and my chords were wiped along with the melody. This happened on two separate occasions and I ended up losing pretty much all the work I had done.

• Sorry, I'm reading bits and bobs, here and there so it might have been mentioned but...can it sample on the fly?

Say you have your cans on and built a groove. Can you leave the track playing and set up and record vocals and chop it to a pad for immediate triggering?

• Also in keyboard mode I remember I was able to slide through the keys instead of having to hit each key at a time I don't know the correct term fo this but I don't see the option to enable it.

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    Also in keyboard mode I remember I was able to slide through the keys instead of having to hit each key at a time I don't know the correct term fo this but I don't see the option to enable it.

• @wim said:
    Can anyone tell me if it's possible to create "Instruments" from user samples. Rather than take up a separate pad for each imported sound, I would like to group them and then be able to play them in "pitch" mode with each key firing a different sample. Like the sound pack instruments. I couldn't find anywhere that describes how to do this. Maybe not possible?

Hmm...not sure but this would be quite useful for me too! I typically use GB sampler to achieve this.

• @supadom said:
    Sorry, I'm reading bits and bobs, here and there so it might have been mentioned but...can it sample on the fly?

Say you have your cans on and built a groove. Can you leave the track playing and set up and record vocals and chop it to a pad for immediate triggering?

No can do in BeatHawk at the moment. but 'the other' app will be able to...

Before you can use the recorded sample it needs to be given a name and saved...
    (This is a big no-no for quick live-sampling).

• @BastienCo said:
    Hey Guys, BeatHawk Dev here.
    Glad to read you enjoy this free update, I took note of some things reading through.

I am here just to let you know that we are working on fixing AU issues with multiple instances.
    Hopefully a fix will be in 2.0.2. (2.0.1 is already in the pipeline)
    2.0.1 will fix some crashs and make app retro compatible with non-retina iPads as many users still use these devices.

Awesome. The AU is a game changer. Looking forward to 2.02

• edited March 2017

@BastienCo said:

@ToMess said:
    Also i think it would be much better if you could play "pitch" of a selected pad with midi keys without having to go to the pitch thing. Pads should be midi CC mappable imo and notes should play the selected pad. I know not everyone would like this, but there should be an option for this, as it would allow to use both pads and keys in a proper way.

-- Go to Preferences -> Uncheck Send Omni option

Also for sampling, it needs to start rec when it hears input.

-- It should, adjust threshold

I tried this omni thing and well, its a bit better, but doesent do what i said earlier. It would work if the pads were midi mappable to cc's, but only ADSR and other stuff that no one wants to map anyways is mappable :/

Ill check the threshold thing

• @wim said:
    Can anyone tell me if it's possible to create "Instruments" from user samples. Rather than take up a separate pad for each imported sound, I would like to group them and then be able to play them in "pitch" mode with each key firing a different sample. Like the sound pack instruments. I couldn't find anywhere that describes how to do this. Maybe not possible?

Sample a middle C note as your sample (I do this in AUM and record to audioshare, and trim there). Import your sample into Beathawk 2 and you can play it in pitch as an instrument.

• So the undo works across all tracks correct? So if I press record and record multiple instruments and then hit undo BEFORE I stop the recording, all of that will be gone? So it's basically per record press for all instruments?

• @studioAB said:

@wim said:

Sample a middle C note as your sample (I do this in AUM and record to audioshare, and trim there). Import your sample into Beathawk 2 and you can play it in pitch as an instrument.

Aha! Thanks for the brilliantly simple solution.

• The lack of sample editing and slicing is a deal breaker for me

• @studioAB said:

@wim said:

Too bad you cant pitch one sample enough to go from low to high without it sounding bad at some spots, it should work alright if the notes arent too far away from each others and are close to the original. Ability to sample to each octave would be great, then you only had to pitch +-6 semi tones and would get much better results over wider range of notes.

• @ToMess said:

@studioAB said:

@wim said:

Too bad you cant pitch one sample enough to go from low to high without it sounding bad at some spots, it should work alright if the notes arent too far away from each others and are close to the original. Ability to sample to each octave would be great, then you only had to pitch +-6 semi tones and would get much better results over wider range of notes.

Their pack instruments are certainly built that way, but I doubt they'll give us the keys to that castle. Too complicated to explain to the userbase, and they need to sell packs, after all. I'd like to think they'll eventually find a way to improve sample editing, though.

Here's an idea, @BastienCo — make a companion app for advanced users that can organize, slice, edit and compile user audio into multisampled/stretchable formats that can import into BH and perform like your native packs. I'd pay a dollar or several for that. Then everyone's happy.

• wimwim
    edited March 2017

@aaronpc said:
    Their pack instruments are certainly built that way, but I doubt they'll give us the keys to that castle. Too complicated to explain to the userbase, and they need to sell packs, after all. I'd like to think they'll eventually find a way to improve sample editing, though.

Meh. That's kind of a buzz kill. Not many pads left over once you load up any decent size drum kit. But, at least the option to use multiple instances is there.

I don't think it would have to be complicated for users. Just select multiple samples with a double-tap, like you can with multiple folders now, then select "Make Instrument" from a menu ... or something like that.

But I agree that it could be intentionally limited in order to promote sound packs. Fair enough.

I'm not that excited about this purchase. I don't see at all what it adds to my stable of already similar tools. I don't regret the few dollars, but seriously considering if the many megabytes are worth keeping it around.

• There are very decent drum kits that can be loaded in one slot if that helps

• @Samu said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:
    Also in keyboard mode I remember I was able to slide through the keys instead of having to hit each key at a time I don't know the correct term fo this but I don't see the option to enable it.

I wonder if @MusicMan4Christ meant glissando rather than pitch bend?

• Does anyone know which IAPs have a decent number of playable instruments in them. I know mello does (and the piano packs, of course). Any others?

• @Purpan said:

@Samu said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:

Could be, that in turn doesn't work like it used to either...
    (I love to swipe my finger across over multiple pads and triggering sounds but that doesn't seem work anymore either). Oh well, good things are worth waiting for...

• @Samu said:

@Purpan said:

@Samu said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:

(I love to swipe my finger across over multiple pads and triggering sounds but that doesn't seem work anymore either). Oh well, good things are worth waiting for...

I just now noticed thats not working for me either. I like to do a lil finger jiggle on my notes pretty frequently, so hope this feature gets taken care of

• @Samu said:

@Purpan said:

@Samu said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:

I don't remember BW's keys ever letting you do that, and it was disappointing that it wasn't improved for v.2. I'd like the option. The pitch bend thing is interesting, but quirky— you have to slide a full key over before it activates); and novel— not something you would likely want globally for key instruments.

I do still very much like this new version. It's back on my iPad again. I haven't tried the Live Set Export, but if it works as well as hoped, this will get a lot of use as a sketching tool for me.

• I've also found no way to quantise already recorded notes (other than manually moving them with snap on) and the 'Groove' setting is only applied when recording new notes and not to already recorded notes.

It's going to be interesting to see where things go from here...

• @aaronpc said:

@Samu said:

@Purpan said:

@Samu said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:

I don't remember BW's keys ever letting you do that, and it was disappointing that it wasn't improved for v.2. I'd like the option. The pitch bend thing is interesting, but quirky— you have to slide a full key over before it activates); and novel— not something you would likely want globally for key instruments.

I do still very much like this new version. It's back on my iPad again. I haven't tried the Live Set Export, but if it works as well as hoped, this will get a lot of use as a sketching tool for me.

anybody have any success recording the pitch bend/finger slide? Tried last night and it only sounded the first note for a split second.

• @Halftone said:

@aaronpc said:

@Samu said:

@Purpan said:

@Samu said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:

anybody have any success recording the pitch bend/finger slide? Tried last night and it only sounded the first note for a split second.

Pitch bend recording works for me. I'd love the option to set pitch bend range; I'm used to two semitones (old fart guitar solo obligatory pitch bend setting).

• @Samu said:

@Purpan said:

@Samu said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:

I hope BM3's great. More the merrier. But you might want to leaven your shill-ing a little. Bit obvious.

• Anyway - positive things. I love BH2. It's utterly terrific. In a rush of post-update goodwill I bought the acoustic piano, too (which is wonderfully rich).

• @Halftone said:

@aaronpc said:

@Samu said:

@Purpan said:

@Samu said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:

Experimented with it. You have to slide all the way off the key to either side before it starts bending in a predictable way. A fail-safe, I guess. It's not bad, once you get used to it, but has limited usefulness for me.