Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audiobus—Auria Oddness

I'm running into some odd behavior when using Audiobus and Auria Pro together. This isn't necessarily a new behavior, but rather something I've finally decided to bring to the group to see if it's an issue on Audiobus', Auria Pro's, or the user's (i.e. my) end.

Please take a look at the screen shots of Audiobus and Auria Pro below. This is a setup I use often whereby I take two inputs from Audiobus (namely Anytune Pro+ and my guitar, the latter via hardware interface) and route them to separate audio channels in Auria Pro. In Auria Pro, I should have only three channels: one for each output from Audiobus (named "Anytune" and "Guitar") and an additional SUB channel ("Gtr. FX") that takes the output from the "Guitar" output and applies a few additional insert effects.

Everything works quite nicely when I put together the project in Auria Pro. The problem comes in after I close up shop for the night and reopen the project the next day. No matter in what order I open the apps (Audiobus, Auria Pro, Anytune Pro+), I always get the layout in Auria Pro you see below with the "Anytune P" and "Audiobus" audio tracks created automatically. I realize this likely is because Auria Pro wants to have two audio channels to receive input from Audiobus, but I don't know why Auria Pro doesn't just assign the Audiobus outputs to the two audio tracks I'd created already ("Anytune" and "Guitar").

If any of you members of the Audiobus / Auria clerisy can shed some light on this somewhat annoying behavior, I'm all ears.

• K

Comments

• It's always best to let the channels be created automatically, if you try and route things manually then you will run into problems.

If you you start with Audiobus, then insert your instrument app at the start of the chain, then launch Auria from Audiobus everything should work as designed and the session should restore OK.

The screenshot you mentioned isn't displaying BTW.

• @richardyot said:
    It's always best to let the channels be created automatically, if you try and route things manually then you will run into problems.

If you you start with Audiobus, then insert your instrument app at the start of the chain, then launch Auria from Audiobus everything should work as designed and the session should restore OK.

The screenshot you mentioned isn't displaying BTW.

Thanks, Richard! I totally forgot to attach the screen shots because I hadn't had lunch yet and my head got very swimmy. They're there now.

As for your suggested order of operations, that's how I usually get the Auria projects going in the first place: start with Audiobus, then launch Auria and let the DAW work its magic. The problem comes in when I shut down all apps at the end of my session then, at some point later, go back to the same project: Auria seems to want to recreate those audio tracks it had created in the first place.

• Are you saving the Audiobus session?

• Well, the first time I created the Audiobus session, I called it something generic. Do I need to save it under a different name each time, even if the configuration is the same each time (i.e., I have two pipes, each with the same apps in the INPUT, EFFECT, and OUTPUT slots)? Is it possible that Auria automatically creates new audio channels because I haven't saved the session in Audiobus (because, say, the state of Auria isn't saved in Audiobus)?

• Possible, yes.

TBH I tend to record and then get the hell out of there. State-saving on iOS is just too much hassle. I make the connections in either AB or IAA, record the music (app or guitar or whatever) and then disconnect everything as if you were recording on tape. Trying to keep connections live always seems to be a hassle.

• Yup, it's a major PITA at the moment. The more cogs you introduce, the more likely one of them is to spin off its axle.

On an entirely unrelated point, every time I look at your user name, I read it as "Richardy Dot"—like a dot that's particularly "richardy," whatever that means.

• I'm a richardy that is particularly OT.

How's the weather?

• Weather sucks. All ice now. :(

• Well, I tried saving the Audiobus session separately, and I'm still seeing all the same behaviors. Anyone have more ideas? Is this something anyone else can replicate?