Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

BBE Sonic Maximizer for iOS?

edited March 2017 in General App Discussion

Hi All!

I'm an avid follower of Paolo and His 'SynthMania' on YouTube-Channel.
He always manages to dig out nice and interesting gear :)

This time It's the classic BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer...

I know BBE has brought out some apps for iOS in the past but none of them work as 'effects' just for playback of iTunes content.
So far I've not been able to find any app or plug-in for iOS that replicates to features of the device in question :(

BBE offers licensing on the technology though...
http://www.bbesound.com/licensing/index.htm

So the question stands. Does anyone out there know any of any iOS IAA/AUv3 Plug-In that can replicate the functionality demonstrated in the video?

Discussion regarding other 'maximiser/enhancer' type AUv3/IAA-PlugIns is highly encouraged.
/Samuel

Comments

• Ha. I'm a giant guitar pedal nerd (the only BBE pedal I currently own is their "427 Distortion" - not half bad, but basically a DS-1 with a better tone control)...but I've never exactly figured out what it is that the Sonic Maximizer actually does. Best I can discern, it's like a glorified EQ that helps certain playing dynamics jump out - particularly in a recording mix. I suppose you could get the rack version or the Sonic Stomp and run external hardware through it before capturing it with an iOS DAW.

• It is a bank of frequency-selective companders, and it also puts a tiny fizzy 'edge' in there somewhere. Should be equivalent to multiband compression but it isn't - it ends up more idiosyncratic than that, on purpose.

• I used the plugin version back in the day. Back then I knew even less than I do now, but it just seemed to make everything sound better. Would be cool to have on iOS.

• @u0421793 said:
    It is a bank of frequency-selective companders, and it also puts a tiny fizzy 'edge' in there somewhere. Should be equivalent to multiband compression but it isn't - it ends up more idiosyncratic than that, on purpose.

My understanding has been from BBE themselves. It is a phase re-alignment circuit, some units having sub-freq bass boost circuits added. The idea is/was that lower freq's lag in some circuitry compared to high freq's, so the highs and mids are delayed appropriate amounts to re-align signals at output. This can improve clarity quite a bit from my experiences.

• edited March 2017

@Matthew said:
    I used the plugin version back in the day. Back then I knew even less than I do now, but it just seemed to make everything sound better. Would be cool to have on iOS.

This...although it seems my original VST no longer works, fails to start as no longer licensed :|
    I would jump on an AUv3 version :)

• The 'Enhancer' that is part of thr FX Pack 2 in Cubasis is quite nice as well as the saturators/exiters in the Amazing Noises apps Mobeius and Limiter.

One of the reasons I'm looking for these types of effects are the flashbacks I get when I mess with my Yamaha SY85. It has a licenced Aphex Aural Exiter as part of thr effects chain.

The thing that makes this BBE approach so nice is the simplicity of two knobs :)

• @Samu said:
    The 'Enhancer' that is part of thr FX Pack 2 in Cubasis is quite nice as well as the saturators/exiters in the Amazing Noises apps Mobeius and Limiter.

One of the reasons I'm looking for these types of effects are the flashbacks I get when I mess with my Yamaha SY85. It has a licenced Aphex Aural Exiter as part of thr effects chain.

The thing that makes this BBE approach so nice is the simplicity of two knobs :)

Exactly, when there are only 2 knobs you listen to whats happening as you do not need to look.

• Amazing Noise's Limiter's saturation is glorious. Purchased it after testing the beta just to put a ton of saturation on everything via AU :D

• @Martygras said:

@u0421793 said:
    It is a bank of frequency-selective companders, and it also puts a tiny fizzy 'edge' in there somewhere. Should be equivalent to multiband compression but it isn't - it ends up more idiosyncratic than that, on purpose.

My understanding has been from BBE themselves. It is a phase re-alignment circuit, some units having sub-freq bass boost circuits added. The idea is/was that lower freq's lag in some circuitry compared to high freq's, so the highs and mids are delayed appropriate amounts to re-align signals at output. This can improve clarity quite a bit from my experiences.

That's mostly correct, but the Sonic Maximizer actually delays bass frequencies slightly. That's why there's an increased presence in the treble frequencies as you turn up the effect. The one and only Herb Alpert explains further:
    http://homerecording.com/bbs/equipment-forums/the-rack/bbe-sonic-maximizer-usefullness-152844/#post1418488

The most interesting thing I find about the Maximizer is that it sounds fantastic when you first turn it on, but gets increasingly annoying the longer you have it engaged. They are useful in some situations. They should never be over used.

BBE put the circuit in a pedal format for guitarists. It's rare to find anyone actually using them. My personal opinion of their usefulness for guitarists is that they fix a problem that doesn't exist. Maybe that slight delay in treble frequencies is what makes your blackface Deluxe sound beautiful.

• @Sonicflux said:

@Martygras said:

@u0421793 said:

That's mostly correct, but the Sonic Maximizer actually delays bass frequencies slightly. That's why there's an increased presence in the treble frequencies as you turn up the effect. The one and only Herb Alpert explains further:
    http://homerecording.com/bbs/equipment-forums/the-rack/bbe-sonic-maximizer-usefullness-152844/#post1418488

The most interesting thing I find about the Maximizer is that it sounds fantastic when you first turn it on, but gets increasingly annoying the longer you have it engaged. They are useful in some situations. They should never be over used.

BBE put the circuit in a pedal format for guitarists. It's rare to find anyone actually using them. My personal opinion of their usefulness for guitarists is that they fix a problem that doesn't exist. Maybe that slight delay in treble frequencies is what makes your blackface Deluxe sound beautiful.

Oh yeah, the ol' "what ever hits your ear first is perceived as loudest (or clearest?). Good point.

• I've has their Sonic Maximizer Pro for my iOS iPhone (4 to 6).Now that 11.0 has released, Apple has said that only 64 bit apps will run and 32 bit apps have to be upgraded to 64. I would expect this from an app that I purchased. The last upgrade resulted in Apple telling me, after losing my music-Bluetooth "crawler on my dash unit, that BBE didn't upgrade their Bluetooth. I wrote BBE with a description. No reply. Several times I have tried and every single time they ignored me. I must say that I am totally hooked on this app. It's performance is excellent. There are nine controls to adjust the audio. Since I do most of my listening in my car, I would be lost without it. Why is BBE avoiding the recodes? Why do they ignore their paying users. I'm an ex-engineer and this is an excellent app. Come on, BBE! If you can't, you can't. But please stop pussy footing around and give us an answer. Thanks, guys, for the floor.

Martygras - I understand what you're saying. I tend to drop back to flat to avoid that. I have people who ride with me and are blown away by all the improvements that BBESM presents in my audio. Regards.

• I know that Yamaha has licensed the usage of APHEX Aural Exciter for their products.
    My SY85 has it as part of it's built-in effects and it can add some extra sparkle to almost any sound that isn't over-powering or distracting.

That could do well as an AUv3 too.