Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

KORG (and others) keyboard scales/intervals/mapping

Forgive my likely mistakes in referring to music terms correctly, but I play music by ear...never bothered to learn to read it well (although I can decipher notes slowly). Never studied scales, either. It is incredibly annoying to me that KORG Gadgets (in particular) default to anything other than the Chromatic 12-note full scale. Is there a way to force that as the default?

Furthermore, I do like the idea of setting up my keyboard so I only include notes that work with my composition. Animoog gets this right with the most brilliant keyboard design IMHO where you can simply select the notes you want included along with its other delightful features. I know I can use it as a controller, but that's too much trouble to set up usually. Assuming KORG doesn't offer a similar functionality, I have to work with keys and modes and scales...mixolydian this and phrygian that. Anyone have a good reference or diagram or anything like that to help me keep my stuff straight?

Comments

• I'm where you're at in terms of reading/playing by ear.

I'm guessing here, but if the Korg Gadgets all defaulted to chromatic, people even dumber than me (and it is tough to get there, but I suppose it's possible) might pick it up and go "man, this thing is cool but it has no range! I can't even play Yankee Doodle on the damn thing - not enough keys!"

I wonder if it defaults to Minor Blues (or whatever it is) so that all ya gotta do is run yer finger up and down the virtual keyboard and ya instantly get something that sounds musical to most western ears.

There's gotta be a way to save chromatic as default, tho. I dunno how cause I never worried about that, but i bet someone here will chime in before too long with a real answer.

As to which scale is which- why mess with a diagram? If you're like me and you don't read music very well cause you hate all those damn dots, why not just fool around with all the scales and go with whatever sounds good? Gadget makes that real easy to do. I wouldn't know a Dorian from a Delorean, but I do know that if what I am doing on Gadget is sounding crappy and I want to experiment with a different scale, I can just pick one and take it for a test drive...

• You Carnt set gadget to default to a certain scale. It always starts on dorian. But you can change it to the chromatic scale which u were after. Just select chromatic then the key in c. Then steps to 12.

• I don't mind Gadget defaulting to Dorian or having to change the scale, fine whatever. But for the love of god why doesn't it apply your keyboard range and octave selections globally across all gadgets? Every damn time you add a gadget you gotta go in there in and change it to 7 notes or change it to your preferred range. One of the many unnecessary problems that slows you down in Gadget. Better yet, why not just have a global keyboard in one style? For chrissakes some Gadgets have smaller keys than others, Madrids can even expand and is velocity sensitive. Sorry Korg I'm not going to buy a Nanokey studio to hook up to my freaking phone. I swear it's a conspiracy. They want you to be so frustrated by the onscreen keyboard that you'll go out and buy their midi controller.

• @db909 said:
    I don't mind Gadget defaulting to Dorian or having to change the scale, fine whatever. But for the love of god why doesn't it apply your keyboard range and octave selections globally across all gadgets? Every damn time you add a gadget you gotta go in there in and change it to 7 notes or change it to your preferred range. One of the many unnecessary problems that slows you down in Gadget. Better yet, why not just have a global keyboard in one style? For chrissakes some Gadgets have smaller keys than others, Madrids can even expand and is velocity sensitive. Sorry Korg I'm not going to buy a Nanokey studio to hook up to my freaking phone. I swear it's a conspiracy. They want you to be so frustrated by the onscreen keyboard that you'll go out and buy their midi controller.

Well i'm primarily a piano player and i can play on screen keys. A simple mono line at the most.

• Thanks, guys! Some good points. I know how to switch it--in fact, I might even claim to be good at it by now--but was hoping to avoid this frequent minor annoyance. :wink: