Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iOS guitarists....PA speakers?

Trying to find some folks using those Yamaha DXR 10 or similar (Atomic CLR, Alto speakers) pa monitors to amplify their iOS guitar rigs.

Any sound demos or videos? Everything I can find on the pa speakers on youtube is someone using a kemper or an axefx. Im curious to hear some feedback from folks using iOS rigs through these speakers.

Comments

• I use a Line 6 L2t. Unfortunately the only videos available are with the Line 6 Pod which I also use. I find that this speaker works well with iOS when using a dedicated channel and some proper EQ.

• Wow that is a badass speaker. Does it make you feel like youre really playing through a cab?

• The L2t has two little kick stands so you can have it sitting at an angle. I have it facing me so I can feel it blaring. Can't say it's quite like a cab but it's the closest feeling I've found (think closed back cabinet). I find that I need to add a lot of low mids and cut out a lot of treble which the speaker allows for. Also, I find that the reference PA setting is better than the 'electric guitar' setting.

• @mptrin said:
    The L2t has two little kick stands so you can have it sitting at an angle. I have it facing me so I can feel it blaring. Can't say it's quite like a cab but it's the closest feeling I've found (think closed back cabinet). I find that I need to add a lot of low mids and cut out a lot of treble which the speaker allows for. Also, I find that the reference PA setting is better than the 'electric guitar' setting.

yeah I have been thinking about gfetting either some studio monitors or a pa speaker. I think some studio monitors would be enough for me for now.

• edited March 2017

do you monitor from the iOS headphone jack or through your interface?

I only have an iRig HD so I have to monitor from the headphone out. I wonder if monitor over lightning through a usb interface would sound better.

• Don't use it much anymore but I used a line 6 sonic port which has 1/4" output right into the L2t. I run an xlr from the L2t direct outs to FOH PA.

• @mptrin said:
    Don't use it much anymore but I used a line 6 sonic port which has 1/4" output right into the L2t. I run an xlr from the L2t direct outs to FOH PA.

nice

• @Briandandrig said:

I only have an iRig HD so I have to monitor from the headphone out. I wonder if monitor over lightning through a usb interface would sound better.

It does. Definitely get a proper audio interface if you want proper tones.

• I can recommend HK Audio Lucas Nano 600. It's not cheap but for me it certainly does the trick. There's also the 608i, which has iPad remote integration and some extra bells and whistles but it's also more expensive.

• @ToMess said:

@Briandandrig said:

what are the specs that make proper tone? I mean the irighd provides the signal over lightning from the guitar.

what is a jump up?

• edited March 2017

@Briandandrig said:

@ToMess said:

@Briandandrig said:

what are the specs that make proper tone? I mean the irighd provides the signal over lightning from the guitar.

what is a jump up?

Well there is no official definition for "proper" tone. The fact that guitar goes in through lightning helps, the difference in that part of the "proper" chain is the A/D converters. The thing that converts analog signal from guitar to digital signal inside the audio interface/irighd/headphonejacksmicinput. Im sure irig hd is at least bit better than using headphone jack to input guitar(like with irig2 and many others). But then in order to get a "proper" tone, you need to also have quality D/A(converts digital signal to analog = output from ipad/phone). Also for "proper" tone you need to amplify the signal because its ofc not strong enough to run speakers. Audio interface will have better D/A converters and better preamp(than headphone out of ipad/phone) for output to power amp(which may be built inside the PA speaker). If your PA is not good or you dont play it at loud volumes, then you might not notice so much difference with not so good D/A converter and preamp.

• @ToMess said:

@Briandandrig said:

@ToMess said:

@Briandandrig said:

what is a jump up?

Well there is no official definition for "proper" tone. The fact that guitar goes in through lightning helps, the difference in that part of the "proper" chain is the A/D converters. The thing that converts analog signal from guitar to digital signal inside the audio interface/irighd/headphonejacksmicinput. Im sure irig hd is at least bit better than using headphone jack to input guitar(like with irig2 and many others). But then in order to get a "proper" tone, you need to also have quality D/A(converts digital signal to analog = output from ipad/phone). Also for "proper" tone you need to amplify the signal because its ofc not strong enough to run speakers. Audio interface will have better D/A converters and better preamp(than headphone out of ipad/phone) for output to power amp(which may be built inside the PA speaker). If your PA is not good or you dont play it at loud volumes, then you might not notice so much difference with not so good D/A converter and preamp.

cool. what interface are you using? do you get that "amp in the room" feel?

• it would be nice to get an interface with a midi input so i could get a foot controller too

• @Briandandrig said:
    it would be nice to get an interface with a midi input so i could get a foot controller too

I have focusrite 6i6 and steinberg ur22 mkii, now i have the steinberg on my ipad again and focusrite on computer, but i can switch if i need more inputs for ipad. They both have midi ports, so you should be able to use a foot controller if it has midi out and is core midi.

I dont use PA myself, instead i use preamp of a a guitar amp, power amp on bias fx and impulse responses if i use guitar with ipad, or then i just mic my amp and record to blocs wave.

• well since i want to record I am investing in this digital gear instead of just a nice tube amp. I cant really play at tube volumes where i live either. studio monitors would help me a lot. I have a Yamaha thr10 that I monitor through right now.

What about the M Audio M Track 2x2 Midi? How do you know which have the nice DACs?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MTrack2x2M

• I was going to chime in, but although I'm a "guitarist" and "iOS musician", I'm pretty amateur in both, and I don't really use the guitar apps to play through monitors. A couple of years ago, I practiced and recorded (for fun) almost exclusively on headphones using iOS apps. But while the apps sounds pretty great and offer endless possibilities, I've just gone back to a preference for small combo amps and my nerdy pedal collection. Latency and technical issues are a big nuisance for me. I can probably get the latency to 20ms or better, but it's almost like a reverse placebo effect - it isn't really there, but I'm worrying about it.

My setup is very barebones - a $50 Mackie Mix5 into a set of M-Audio BX5's. But it's lacking in low end and not as satisfying as even an 8" guitar combo.

• @StormJH1 said:
    I was going to chime in, but although I'm a "guitarist" and "iOS musician", I'm pretty amateur in both, and I don't really use the guitar apps to play through monitors. A couple of years ago, I practiced and recorded (for fun) almost exclusively on headphones using iOS apps. But while the apps sounds pretty great and offer endless possibilities, I've just gone back to a preference for small combo amps and my nerdy pedal collection. Latency and technical issues are a big nuisance for me. I can probably get the latency to 20ms or better, but it's almost like a reverse placebo effect - it isn't really there, but I'm worrying about it.

My setup is very barebones - a $50 Mackie Mix5 into a set of M-Audio BX5's. But it's lacking in low end and not as satisfying as even an 8" guitar combo.

im just a poor hobby musician. I want to record so there lies the necessity for the interface. and the tonal possibilities from the modeling gear just draws me in. I think i would likely get a kemper before I got a nice big Tube amp.

with that in mind I am trying to make my $ stretch. I can use a number of VST on iOS and PC and if I had a nice interface and either a pa monitor or a set of studio monitors to replicate the in teh room feel that would be great.

I can always have access to tubes when I rent a studio.

• I've been using a pair of QSC K10 speakers for iOS amplification that I am extremely happy with. They wipe the floor of every other PA speaker I've heard, and they are pretty light. I'm very impressed with their low-end for having only a 10" LF. I like the fact that I can bring them to small and medium gigs and know that I will have great sound that I control, versus never knowing what kind of house PA will be present.

My signal chain is usually two or three iPads into a Keith McMillen K-Mix or Mackie Onyx mixer, and then out to the QSCs. If I'm playing with our synth player on our side gigs, he is sending me a Korg MS2000b for the mix. No issues.

The Yamahas look like a very similar speaker. I doubt you would be disappointed. I would like to get another pair of 10" powered speakers to do more shows in quad - maybe these Yamahas are worth a demo.

• @Briandandrig said:
    well since i want to record I am investing in this digital gear instead of just a nice tube amp. I cant really play at tube volumes where i live either. studio monitors would help me a lot. I have a Yamaha thr10 that I monitor through right now.

What about the M Audio M Track 2x2 Midi? How do you know which have the nice DACs?

I suggest getting steinberg, roland or focusrite interface.

If you want the best possible tube saturation, you need to use a real tube amp(you can send out of fx loop to ipad and turn off preamp in bias/tonestack). Also digital distortion is not on the same level with analog, so i suggest using real overdrive/fuzz/distortion pedals as well. Also you can get better speaker sims with impulse responses(loaded to bias or tonestacks fx chain via iaa using fiddlicator) than what comes with bias fx, tonestack or others.

• @ToMess said:

@Briandandrig said:
    well since i want to record I am investing in this digital gear instead of just a nice tube amp. I cant really play at tube volumes where i live either. studio monitors would help me a lot. I have a Yamaha thr10 that I monitor through right now.

If you want the best possible tube saturation, you need to use a real tube amp(you can send out of fx loop to ipad and turn off preamp in bias/tonestack). Also digital distortion is not on the same level with analog, so i suggest using real overdrive/fuzz/distortion pedals as well. Also you can get better speaker sims with impulse responses(loaded to bias or tonestacks fx chain via iaa using fiddlicator) than what comes with bias fx, tonestack or others.

definitely on the fiddlicator bus. i dont have any analog gear anymore except the yamaha thr10 and even that is digital really

• @Briandandrig said:

@ToMess said:

@Briandandrig said:

definitely on the fiddlicator bus. i dont have any analog gear anymore except the yamaha thr10 and even that is digital really

Okay. I suggest at least getting some dirt pedal if you want good overdriven tones. Also you could find some old used guitar tube preamps cheap

• @ToMess said:

@Briandandrig said:

@ToMess said:

@Briandandrig said:

Okay. I suggest at least getting some dirt pedal if you want good overdriven tones. Also you could find some old used guitar tube preamps cheap

tube preamp?

• @Briandandrig said:
    Trying to find some folks using those Yamaha DXR 10 or similar (Atomic CLR, Alto speakers) pa monitors to amplify their iOS guitar rigs.

Any sound demos or videos? Everything I can find on the pa speakers on youtube is someone using a kemper or an axefx. Im curious to hear some feedback from folks using iOS rigs through these speakers.

I haven't used any of these speaker units, but I'm keeping half an eye on their like because I would dearly love to buy a Kemper (when I'm a good enough player to make it worth while!) and would want a quality speaker or cab to go with it. I strongly suggest you browse the Kemper User Forum because a number of people on there have useful views on these products and I think they would be just as valid for an iPad based rig. One thing I have picked up from there is that the DXR range have cooling fans that can be audible when playing quietly, so I think you'd need to try one to be sure it's ok for you.