Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Using AUM and animoog

I bought AUM some months ago, and have been mucking with it, animoog and geoshred, as they all now work on my phone, and I have bus time. Are people using AUM as their main recording software, or just for mixing? Doesn't seem to be anyway to cut in or overdub, unless I'm completely missing something, which is of course possible. I could just use the four channel recorder in animoog, but I like the way AUM is put together. But I seem to be creating a million little files.

Comments

• I also seem to be having a less than pleasant experience managing the files in audioshare. When I click the button in AUM to do so, I get a file that is empty. But I can load and play it with AUM. Also, once I've done that, should the updates not always go to audioshare for that project?

• edited March 2017

@rickwaugh said:
    I also seem to be having a less than pleasant experience managing the files in audioshare. When I click the button in AUM to do so, I get a file that is empty. But I can load and play it with AUM. Also, once I've done that, should the updates not always go to audioshare for that project?

AudioShare and AUM share the same doc storage space. The recordings for AUM in AudioShare are in the AUM Recordings folder. You can sort the files by date and your most recent recordings will be at the top of the list. If you haven't saved your session as a file in AUM yet, your recordings will go into the Untitled folder in AUM Recordings. You can select multiple files at once to easily delete or move them.

When you hit the Manage recordings in AudioShare button, it opens up the AudioShare app in the AUM Recordings folder. You still need to open up the sub folder for your AUM session audio recording to access your recorded file. Sorting by date rather than the default of by name is the easiest way to get to them.

As for being able to load a file into the File Player in AUM but not being able to access it in AudioShare should not even be possible. If this is what's happening for you, it indicates a problem so I'd contact @j_liljedahl about it.

• AUM doesn't really have any editing functionality and AudioShare is very limited in terms of creating a timeline based audio project. At this point many people export their audio tracks into a DAW for finishing them up. Alternatively you can sequence your synths and effects, send them to a single bus and record the resulting mix down. In general AUM is more oriented for a live play or looping work flow rather than a linear timeline work flow.

• @InfoCheck said:
    AUM doesn't really have any editing functionality and AudioShare is very limited in terms of creating a timeline based audio project. At this point many people export their audio tracks into a DAW for finishing them up. Alternatively you can sequence your synths and effects, send them to a single bus and record the resulting mix down. In general AUM is more oriented for a live play or looping work flow rather than a linear timeline work flow.

Tx. I'm an auria user mostly. I'm looking for a way to capture some ideas when I don't have my iPad. I'll have to monkey with the files a bit more, because it does not seem to be working as advertised. It might not be quite the right fit, but it's such a gorgeous little app.

• edited March 2017

@rickwaugh said:

@InfoCheck said:
    AUM doesn't really have any editing functionality and AudioShare is very limited in terms of creating a timeline based audio project. At this point many people export their audio tracks into a DAW for finishing them up. Alternatively you can sequence your synths and effects, send them to a single bus and record the resulting mix down. In general AUM is more oriented for a live play or looping work flow rather than a linear timeline work flow.

Tx. I'm an auria user mostly. I'm looking for a way to capture some ideas when I don't have my iPad. I'll have to monkey with the files a bit more, because it does not seem to be working as advertised. It might not be quite the right fit, but it's such a gorgeous little app.

This is what should happen when you try to record with AUM. The movie has no sound.

• Thx. There seems to be some gaps between creating the files, and being able to retrieve them. Also, it's a bit confusing as to what the relationship is between "session" and "files', and where "session" lives. I may be bouncing around too much in there, and it's a simpler process than what I'm expecting it to be, but I'll create a session, with a name, and save my work, but the corresponding folder does not always appear in AudioShare.

• @rickwaugh said:
    Thx. There seems to be some gaps between creating the files, and being able to retrieve them. Also, it's a bit confusing as to what the relationship is between "session" and "files', and where "session" lives. I may be bouncing around too much in there, and it's a simpler process than what I'm expecting it to be, but I'll create a session, with a name, and save my work, but the corresponding folder does not always appear in AudioShare.

Session files store the settings for your apps and other routings in AUM, they're not audio files at all. When you go to files in AUM, the first section is all SESSIONS and the second below is all RECORDINGS.

I've never had an issue with saving a session, recording audio, and then not having the corresponding folder show up in AudioShare under the AUM Recordings folder in the appropriate sub folder. There have been sometimes where I've tried to record and clicked on the wrong channel which had no sound routed to it and ended up with a flat line in the audio file and when I return to AUM, I could see where I'd selected the wrong channel in AUM for recording.