Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Animoog is amazing!!! Plus.. Custom Ethnic Overtone Instrument Timbes!

I recently picked up Animoog for iPhone while it was on sale. This is an app that I've always bypassed because: 1. I'm not really a synth head (and Viking Synth was doing the synth jobs I needed just fine) & 2. The price was a little much for me for an app that doesn't fall into my workflow. During the sale, the iPhone version fell into the category of 'worthwhile for the price, for something cool to make music with on the bus'. On the first boot of this app, it became an app that's going to be included in EVERY setup that I run!

Animoog is the first 'digital instrument' that I've used inside iOS which plays and reacts with all the expression, sensitivity and finesse of a physical instrument. Of course this is also dependent on the controller, but the onscreen keyboard is also just as fantastic as the sound creation engine. My favourite controller is actually an MPD32 pad controller, which I've designed my own harmonic system for (youtube code fUadSKB_BTo if you want to see a basic example). My favourite trick so far with this combo is setting the velocity/channel pressure up to cause the pitch to raise by an octave (which Animoog handles the transition for beautifully and organically). This means that depending on the dynamic put into performance, a very expressively full ranged spectrum of pitch is available.

I've been playing for about 4 hours today (rare opportunity!) and I've digested about an hours worth of the most easily findable youtube tutorials (still running right now..). I also found that the basic presets are very well designed for experiencing a majority of the most obvious performance possibilities, when you work through them. I found on a number of occasions that I would find an aspect of the sound/control that I particularly liked, then would then dig in and figure out exactly what was making 'that thing' happen.

Few enquiries for any Animoog experts who stuck around this long:

1. Are there any free/user created resources for extra presets/timbres or such like, which I can explore? I'm guessing that I'm going to work my way through their store at some point but having just moved to a new country, cashflow is a bit tight right now!

2. I've got to grips with the basic workings of the app now (and after reading the manual I'm sure that I'll be pretty proficient technically). Are there any other specific resources (or general advice/creative exploration) around that might be less obvious? Always fun/insightful to take in this kind of stuff.

Finally..
3. I'm really interested in creating my own Timbres for this app. Can anyone direct me to any resource which has information on how to do this. I work (a LOT!) with a kind of ethnic instrument which I think (without the technical knowhow to be sure..) would be the source of amazing Animoog timbres. You can see this instrument played (by my wife!!) in this (somewhat old) youtube clip: (go click like on her facebook artist page if you want to make her happy! https://www.facebook.com/saydyko.udagan).
Reason I'm so sure that this instrument will make great Timbre fodder is that it's sound formation method is basically organic analogue synthesis itself.

If anyone who has prior experience/interest in creating timbres is interested in working with me on this, let me know. I expect it'll be a good long while until I get round to it myself (I don't even have my studio desktop machine available to me right now, which I assume I'd need for editing the files). I do however, have a shit ton of samples of Saydyy, which I took while I had regular access to good microphones and studios. Collaboration is always more fun anyway!

Comments

• Animoog.org has you covered

• @RustiK did a very nice collection of Animoog timbres but I don't recall where they are at the moment.

• Don't forget - there's a random preset button - always good for coming up with new sounds

• DIY ethnic animoog timbres sound interesting! From what I read

As near as we can tell, WAV Timbres must be Mono, 16-bit, and contain exactly 16384 sample slices, ie, .371519 seconds long at 44.1KHz or .341333 seconds long at 48KHz.

https://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14187

I'm guessing the sound level should be as steady as possible, lest you get a noticable pulse to the sound, looping every 1/3 of a second. If it isn't already steady, I'm betting you could get it there by processing your sample through a limiter with a super fast release time, like <5ms, at a threshold where the limiter is reducing the sound the entire sample, that way every, or almost every cycle of the wave is close to 0dB.

• @OscarSouth you're wife is very talented! Really enjoyed that.

• Very cool. It's like some elements of Mongolian throat singing. I couldn't stop listening!

• edited March 2017

@Halftone said:
    Don't forget - there's a random preset button - always good for coming up with new sounds

never seen this before. :)

thanks!

](https://forum.audiob.us/uploads/editor/22/yknj7j8rfe4g.png "")

• Thanks all. I've scoured that website for info and have installed all the @RustiK patches. Really cool stuff which I'm going to enjoy exploring!

Have also read and watched as much info as I can find on Animoog timbre creation. Sounds like complicated shit which I still need to get my head round properly. There any app on iOS that I'd be able to do the necessary editing with?

Thanks also to all who commented on Saydyy's playing or pressed like on her page. If anyone is interested you can see her performing with a traditional group (she's on right hand side) from her home nation here:

And find more info on our contemporary group (which I'm using iOS equipment in) here:
    http://UDAGANuniverse.com

• edited March 2017

@OscarSouth said:
    Thanks all. I've scoured that website for info and have installed all the @RustiK patches. Really cool stuff which I'm going to enjoy exploring!

Have also read and watched as much info as I can find on Animoog timbre creation. Sounds like complicated shit which I still need to get my head round properly. There any app on iOS that I'd be able to do the necessary editing with?

Thanks also to all who commented on Saydyy's playing or pressed like on her page. If anyone is interested you can see her performing with a traditional group (she's on right hand side) from her home nation here:

And find more info on our contemporary group (which I'm using iOS equipment in) here:
    http://UDAGANuniverse.com

I've been making some timbres for Animoog recently. You really don't need to have exactly 371 milliseconds in your samples but they do have to be mono and 16-bit. I've found a combination of TwistedWave, Caustic, and AudioShare works well to edit and store samples. Very basic Wave forms can be a good starting point. Once I've got all of the timbres created, I use iFunbox to transfer them into the Animoog timbre location. You can create your own folders for your timbres inside Animoog.

You can play your timbres in Animoog and record their output and count wave cycles using a simple sin wave if you want to see how much Animoog will speed them up when you actually go to use them. You can use this to reverse engineer your timbres to get more of the sound you want. I ended up creating 742 ms waves and then time shrunk and pitch shifted them down an octave. This won't usually get you exactly 371 ms, but it's close enough for Animoog timbres.

• Thanks. I'm starting to get my head around this, although I think it'll take a bit of practical exploration to get it down properly.

I always find that as primarily an instrumentalist, I get a lot more mileage out of putting performative nuance into practise, than I do from an infinitely varied and disparate palate.

What I'm planning to do is rather than creating a bunch of different timbres and presets, I'm going to create one singular preset based on my own timbres, capturing both the essence of this ethnic/shamanic instrument 'Khomus' as well as presenting the most usable performance possibilities and nuanced expression.

As a first step in the process, I'm going to play the bottom out of all the initially included Animoog presets with both my pad controller and on the onscreen keyboard. I'll take notes on all the nicest performative touches and how they function technically, as well as which timbres I get the most useful function and nuance from in performance. I'll extract these timbres and use them as guides for how to edit my original ones as well as how they're arranged musically in Animoog's 'monitor' area.

That's the beginning of the plan. It's going to take some time to get to grips with the technicality and carry out the necessary performance study to get it right though. If anyone is interested in collaborating on this idea then please let me know!

In addition to knowledge in this thread, I've gathered what info I can from here:
    https://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14187

As well as this YouTube video:

I read that the built in Timbres are all 16 wave cycles, equating through mathematical expression as an A pitch. I assumed this was in order to fit correctly into Animoog's grid, but then I counted the squares and found there to be 20, killing that theory. Anyone understand the logic behind the 16 cycles/A pitch thing?

• @OscarSouth what is your wife using in the first part of that video? I know it's a jew's harp, but she's not plucking it with her finger. And there's a wire running to it... Is it powered with a solenoid??

• edited March 2017

@Sonicflux said:
    @OscarSouth what is your wife using in the first part of that video? I know it's a jew's harp, but she's not plucking it with her finger. And there's a wire running to it... Is it powered with a solenoid??

Yes, this would be interesting, and she plays with the little finger on this ebow thing, did she manipulate some controls with it?

Thx for this incredible concert

Love it!

Hug to your wife she's amazing.

• edited March 2017

I don't from the maths...
    I see why you want timbres from that instrument (cool video too)

http://www.adventurekid.se/akrt/waveforms/adventure-kid-waveforms/

Bunch of single cycle stuff in all formats.

• edited March 2017

@Littlewoodg said:

Wow! What an amazing collection. Do you think those would work in animoog? Or any other ios synth?

• edited March 2017

Oh, found it, at animoog.org, there's a collection of the adventure kid waveforms:

https://animoog.org/database/timbres/

There's a version that has a 16 waveforms strung together for each timbre, to fit more sounds on your xy screen!

• @Sonicflux said:
    @OscarSouth what is your wife using in the first part of that video? I know it's a jew's harp, but she's not plucking it with her finger. And there's a wire running to it... Is it powered with a solenoid??

I'm not sure of the exact physics of if but her father (soviet electronics genius) built it along with one of the local smiths in her region (who make the instruments). It's even more amazing in person!

@obiwahnkentobi said:

@Sonicflux said:

Yes, this would be interesting, and she plays with the little finger on this ebow thing, did she manipulate some controls with it?

Love it!

Thanks very much! I'll pass it on!

• @Processaurus said:

@Littlewoodg said:

Wow! What an amazing collection. Do you think those would work in animoog? Or any other ios synth?

I'm pretty sure @RustiK made good use of these for the timbres in his presets. I'm sure he'll be able to confirm and suggest some tips.

• I think it's definitely important to use low frequency timbres and to normalize them so you can preserve the bass in any of the presets you create with them. Another easy approach to use for the less technically oriented is to look at the timbres in existing presets and replace them with timbres that sound different or similar to see how they effect the sound produced. Kymatica's The Oscillator app works very well for combining basic waveforms and noise to create timbres.

• edited March 2017

@OscarSouth said:

@Sonicflux said:

I'm not sure of the exact physics of if but her father (soviet electronics genius) built it along with one of the local smiths in her region (who make the instruments). It's even more amazing in person!

@obiwahnkentobi said:

@Sonicflux said:

Love it!

Thanks very much! I'll pass it on!

Wow 6years ago

• Animoog would make a cool effect if it took slices of audio from an audio stream and mangled them, but then again, I think it actually analyses the timbres, prior to using them. So to operate in real time, it may tax the cpu too much.

• @Processaurus said:
    Oh, found it, at animoog.org, there's a collection of the adventure kid waveforms:

There's a version that has a 16 waveforms strung together for each timbre, to fit more sounds on your xy screen!

Thanks a lot for these! Playing with waveforms/timbres does make Animoog into a fascinating tool. And these waveforms are likely to be useful elsewhere.

(Wrote a longer reply but it’s held in moderation, for some reason. Guess the powers that be decided that my garrulous ways reached a threshold! ;) )

• @Enkerli said:

@Processaurus said:

Thanks a lot for these! Playing with waveforms/timbres does make Animoog into a fascinating tool. And these waveforms are likely to be useful elsewhere.

(Wrote a longer reply but it’s held in moderation, for some reason. Guess the powers that be decided that my garrulous ways reached a threshold! ;) )

That happened to me recently too, pressed edit on a new discussion and on submitting it was held in moderation. Never materialised. @Sebastian is everything running smoothly? Mine was nothing important but it seems like people's content is getting lost.

• @Halftone said:
    Don't forget - there's a random preset button - always good for coming up with new sounds

Erm. I know. But I don't know. Where be this random button that is of course staring me in the face that I can't see?

• @Enkerli said:

@Processaurus said:

Weird, I'm not seeing anything in the mod queue. Please send me another message once that happens to you again.

• edited March 2017

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Halftone said:

Erm. I know. But I don't know. Where be this random button that is of course staring me in the face that I can't see?

• Like wot I said as regards the face staring :)

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Like wot I said as regards the face staring :)

I've missed it before too. ;)

• edited March 2017

After hearing here (for the first time) that there's a random preset generator onboard -a pretty slick one at that, allowing the user to select source banks - I opened the manual for the first time since I bought this synth (in 2011?).
    Holy shit this thing is amazing.