Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Good app for sub bass?

Looking for a good app to make the low end in my tracks. Sub bass, I need sub bass! Any suggestions? I have so many synth apps but nothing is really shining in the low end department.

Comments

• Model 15

• Yup Model 15 or Animoog

• edited March 2017

I want to say Model 15 could go anywhere you want, including there, but a quick google didn't find an easy tutorial. So maybe some of the synth experts here will chime in as to how to make a sub bass patch

EDIT: realized two others had already suggested it after refreshing, so glad to know it is the right tool for the job :)

• You might already have something - what have you already got?

• iSyn Poly is great for deep fat bass.

• I use Alchemy. It's Fucking Wicked. But Apple have shagged the app. Not unless they updated the original app when iOS 11 comes....... Don't know, & think I not...... I hope they do?...... A Hem!....... But as they malgamated it into GarageBand, & GarageBand is not IAA, or AU, or AudioBus...... Its Bye Bye!

• TF-7 is a very good resource for this I've found. Otherwise, Enkl, Viking, Poison etc all work nicely too. Or of course LayR.

• @studs1966 said:

@studs1966 said:
    I use Alchemy. It's Fucking Wicked. But Apple have shagged the app. Not unless they updated the original app when iOS 11 comes....... Don't know, & think I not...... I hope they do?...... A Hem!....... But as they malgamated it into GarageBand, & GarageBand is not IAA, or AU, or AudioBus...... Its Bye Bye!

Well actually GarageBand is AU now, and the included Alchemy made it my primary iOS DAW

• Cyclop, but be careful, if you don't know what you're doing, it will give you herpes. My advice though, is the pleasing round sounding sub bass is usually just a sine wave in the lower octaves, a lot of times this will be layered with sounds higher up in the frequency range, use saturation and maybe a bit of chorus, to make your lows stand out a bit more and remember to trim some of the fat with a high pass filter, maybe use a high pass on the sides too, if needs be, to bring some clarity back.

• Yeah, I was going to say: I'd rather have a general conversation about sound design than "what app makes this sound?" Any app capable of generating a sinewave can do it, but it's all in the layering, modulation, etc. I myself like playing with a sine and a triangle - Osc balances toward the sine; the triangle used more for high end so it can still be heard on smaller speakers. I'd love to hear what others do.

• @gleandibson said:
    Yeah, I was going to say: I'd rather have a general conversation about sound design than "what app makes this sound?" Any app capable of generating a sinewave can do it, but it's all in the layering, modulation, etc. I myself like playing with a sine and a triangle - Osc balances toward the sine; the triangle used more for high end so it can still be heard on smaller speakers. I'd love to hear what others do.

Sine and triangle is a solid combo, I'll use a bit of detuning sometimes if working on a sustained bass, also like layering organ sounds b3, magellan etc, with a sine, for a nice smooth bass. Use sawtooth with a sine for a more hairy sort of bass, square for something more chunky, maybe a touch of unison to help bring things forward a touch.

For shorter bass sounds like an 808 type thing, I'm a sucker for distortion to help it along in a mix, find using a resonant high pass filter with a steep cut off slope, can work wonders for bass with less sustain, or I'll make my own if not available as a filter type, using a high pass and low shelf. It took me an age to realise tho, that with subs, less is often more.

• Single cycle sine waveform.

• edited March 2017

@gleandibson said:
    Yeah, I was going to say: I'd rather have a general conversation about sound design than "what app makes this sound?" Any app capable of generating a sinewave can do it, but it's all in the layering, modulation, etc. I myself like playing with a sine and a triangle - Osc balances toward the sine; the triangle used more for high end so it can still be heard on smaller speakers. I'd love to hear what others do.

Please!! Now, if u don't care use some samples.. https://cymatics.fm/free-download-vault/#

IMHO this site has a lot of the good stuff

• @realdavidai said:

@studs1966 said:

@studs1966 said:
    I use Alchemy. It's Fucking Wicked. But Apple have shagged the app. Not unless they updated the original app when iOS 11 comes....... Don't know, & think I not...... I hope they do?...... A Hem!....... But as they malgamated it into GarageBand, & GarageBand is not IAA, or AU, or AudioBus...... Its Bye Bye!

Well actually GarageBand is AU now, and the included Alchemy made it my primary iOS DAW

GarageBand "IS" AU now?......... or GarageBand can host AU?........ Well, me ole matey, I cannot use Alchemy /GarageBand because I only have a iPad Air 1........... At the mo........ Waiting to see new in new coming out of Apple Stables soon, & see what this years Big Boys are going to be released.

• GarageBand can host AU

• @mister_rz said:
    Cyclop, but be careful, if you don't know what you're doing, it will give you herpes. My advice though, is the pleasing round sounding sub bass is usually just a sine wave in the lower octaves, a lot of times this will be layered with sounds higher up in the frequency range, use saturation and maybe a bit of chorus, to make your lows stand out a bit more and remember to trim some of the fat with a high pass filter, maybe use a high pass on the sides too, if needs be, to bring some clarity back.

I was going to suggest that most of the synth apps can be programmed.
    My major gripe is that when I program a killer sound in one octave often it will sound weak in others. Compression can help but a general discussion on techniques peeps here use would help even more. ;)

• I mean I was kinda wondering if there was an app specifically made for making sub bass and bass lines with maybe effects like distortion , overdrive, and portamento options. But apparently not.

However, I just got model 15 today and after 20 min with it I DL'd all the preset packs because they were pretty cheap and all the presets I was hearing were sooooooo good. Model 15 is amazing though and I'm pretty sure it's going to become my favorite iOS synth.

I will also be looking into the other apps mentioned in this post, thanks for the suggestions.

• What do people use within Gadget?

I've settled on Dublin or Phoenix. But neither have sine waves. Or chorus.

Was thinking of trying Chiangmai after reading this thread.

• @Jaymon - Anyone mention BASSalicious? BASSalicious by MIDIculous LLC
    https://appsto.re/gb/5Th8ab.i

I only have the free demo version, but it sounds pretty fine.

@supadom - apologies if this is old news, but using a synth's Key track parameter (when available) on the filter cutoff can sometimes help to extend the sweet spot of some synth sounds. It just helps the filter open up / close off across the range of the keyboard.

• If all you want is sine waves, pick an FM app, pick one operator, and turn off all the other operators. However, for bass I think it'd help define it by adding a bit of edge to it, so turn one of the other operators back on and nudge just a hint of envelope-defined modulation into the first operator (the carrier).

• 1 by FAR IMO

Tweaky Beat

So, a sub that also has a sequencer

I use this app for just bass paired with 303 for fierce bass combo sound

• edited March 2017

@u0421793 said:
    If all you want is sine waves, pick an FM app, pick one operator, and turn off all the other operators. However, for bass I think it'd help define it by adding a bit of edge to it, so turn one of the other operators back on and nudge just a hint of envelope-defined modulation into the first operator (the carrier).

Cool. Thanks. I'll attempt to interpret that with Chiangmai.

I believe the 'harmonics' knob is the operator?

• @supadom said:

@mister_rz said:
    Cyclop, but be careful, if you don't know what you're doing, it will give you herpes. My advice though, is the pleasing round sounding sub bass is usually just a sine wave in the lower octaves, a lot of times this will be layered with sounds higher up in the frequency range, use saturation and maybe a bit of chorus, to make your lows stand out a bit more and remember to trim some of the fat with a high pass filter, maybe use a high pass on the sides too, if needs be, to bring some clarity back.

I was going to suggest that most of the synth apps can be programmed.
    My major gripe is that when I program a killer sound in one octave often it will sound weak in others. Compression can help but a general discussion on techniques peeps here use would help even more. ;)

I used to use compression a lot with bass, but I was such a novice with it, that id squash the life out of it. I've been looking into expanding my mixing chops in the last year especially, as it was the one area I was lacking. What I read somewhere that helped me get my head around working with bass a bit more, was that people generally hone in on the harmonics of the bass in music.

The fundamental notes in the sub region, comes into play more in cars, clubs, festivals and larger sound systems, but more on a feel it level, but if people can hear the harmonics (or a layer, other oscillator that mimics this) of bass, our brains can then recreate the low content, even when it's missing, like on systems that can't reproduce the low end. I like to layer my bass when using a sine, pretty much generally too, what can sound weak on its own, can come to life when it has accompanying elements.

It's also a good trick to get them really wide sounding basses, have a simple sub component, then one or two layers higher up, with one layer taking care of the stereo or side enhancement fx, our brains will treat it as one sound. Even gets to the point of just hinting that two elements are connected, will get the brain to form an association, you don't even need to follow the same notes on your higher layers, drum and bass artists do this a lot. I'll even layer up in the sub region, but use extra care not to have too much energy down there.

I will get together a more thoughtful response regarding techniques that I've found useful by experimenting or learning from other people, maybe in another thread as I've gone a bit off topic here.

@jaymon
    Cyclop is a synth mainly focused on bass, you'll get a lot of the common sounding basses, but it's also quite easy to work with, when you want to tweak that sound to make it even more heavenly. Also found DRC sounds quite solid when working in the low end, animoog though is an absolute beast for layering.