Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Fretboard-style app that can control Garageband on iPhone?

Hey all-- today my obsession is being able to send MIDI into Garageband iOS from iFretless Guitar. It doesn't seem like they can see each other, though. Does anyone know an app with a fretboard playing surface that can control GB? I tried Synthecaster as well but no dice.

Comments

• GEOSHRED baby!

• @Halftone said:
    GEOSHRED baby!

I was going to say that, but wasn't sure if it would control Garageband. Haven't tried... scurrying off to try it out. thx

• it should. It does Midi Out - and GB only accepts midi in.

• Well, i see Geoshred is universal and on sale for $14.99 right now. If someone can confirm you can control MIDI instruments within Garageband with it, I'll buy it today.

• edited March 2017

@JonLewis said:
    Well, i see Geoshred is universal and on sale for $14.99 right now. If someone can confirm you can control MIDI instruments within Garageband with it, I'll buy it today.

I don't know your use etc. but I was very skeptical of Geoshred and hard to convince. I bought it and really love it.

Regarding Geoshred and Garageband, I just tried it. I haven't used the latest version of Garageband much yet, so I might be missing a setting. I DID get Geoshred to control instruments in Garageband, but the only way I could get it to work was by launching midiFlow and activating a local midi network. I don't think this should be necessary, but that's the only way I could get it to work.

Another possibly significant bonus to the Geoshred choice, is that it supports (Multidimensional Polyphonic Expression) MPE MIDI. The new Garageband ALSO supports MPE MIDI. You have to go to the system settings, scroll to GB, then turn on support for MPE MIDI controllers.

That being said, I don't know much about MPE yet and have only scratched the surface. I haven't figured out how to set it up and use it in Geoshred yet. From what I've read, MPE MIDI sounds VERY interesting, but I'll have to save figuring that one out for a future late-night session.

• yeah - i just tried and could not get GB to recognize midi from Geo. Should work easily enough...

• Yeah -- I haven't ever messed with things like Midiflow, but I might learn.

Garageband iOS is loath to recognize inputs. Arpist can drive GB if you set Arpist's MIDI output to "all local destinations". But it's an arp and I just love to control synths with the guitarist part of my brain (the guitarist part of my brain has been developing for 31 years while the keyboard part of my brain has only been developing for 4 -- my ideas tend to sameyness when I'm faced with an onscreen keyboard).

Synthecaster also has an 'all local destinations' MIDI setting but that does not persuade GB to recognize it.

To get Arpist to drive GB, I had to toggle on the "Use With Music Apps" option in GB's 'Advanced' submenu under the wrench icon. I think that's the first step to get GB to see inputs but it doesn't work with everything.

• @skiphunt said:
    Regarding Geoshred and Garageband, I just tried it. I haven't used the latest version of Garageband much yet, so I might be missing a setting. I DID get Geoshred to control instruments in Garageband, but the only way I could get it to work was by launching midiFlow and activating a local midi network. I don't think this should be necessary, but that's the only way I could get it to work.

I'm curious how you did this. I haven't been able to get it to work even with MidiFlow.

• edited March 2017

@wim said:

@skiphunt said:

I'm curious how you did this. I haven't been able to get it to work even with MidiFlow.

In MidiFlow, set up one virtual source and name it. I call mine "Local". Set up one virtual destination. I call that "Local" too.

Now, set GeoShred for single source, or MPE... after that Geoshred will control instruments in Garageband. I also have the MPE MIDI turned on in the system settings for GB, but I don't think that matters.

I use the virtual "Local" network in midiFlow all the time, especially with older apps like Zolotov's synths.

I was just controlling the Alchemy synth in GB with Geoshred. Pretty cool actually, but I'd love to figure out how the MPE MIDI setup works. No clue yet, but it's supposed to be supported.

• I bought MidiFlow. I'm gonna try that trick with iFretless first before thinking about Geoshred.

• @skiphunt said:

@wim said:

@skiphunt said:

In MidiFlow, set up one virtual source and name it. I call mine "Local". Set up one virtual destination. I call that "Local" too.

Now, set GeoShred for single source, or MPE... after that Geoshred will control instruments in Garageband. I also have the MPE MIDI turned on in the system settings for GB, but I don't think that matters.

I use the virtual "Local" network in midiFlow all the time, especially with older apps like Zolotov's synths.

I was just controlling the Alchemy synth in GB with Geoshred. Pretty cool actually, but I'd love to figure out how the MPE MIDI setup works. No clue yet, but it's supposed to be supported.

Humm ... thanks! I can't seem to get my mind around how or why that works at the moment, but indeed it does. B)

• edited March 2017

@wim said:

@skiphunt said:

@wim said:

@skiphunt said:

Humm ... thanks! I can't seem to get my mind around how or why that works at the moment, but indeed it does. B)

I think it essentially emulates a regular local wifi Network 1 scenario, but virtually so, locally on the iPad. At least that's what I speculate. I have no clue. Just stumbled upon it when I was trying to figure out how to connect to and control Alexander Zolotov's old synths Pixelwave, Virtual ANS and SpectrumGEN. Works :)

And you're welcome! Happy to return the many solids you've done me while trying to figure this stuff out. :)

• wait... you can control Virtual ANS? Oh boy.

• @skiphunt

OT ... love the new profile picture!

• @wim said:
    @skiphunt

OT ... love the new profile picture!

Thanks! Some street art I shot recently in Otavalo, Ecuador. There was a lot of really impressive mural art there.

• edited March 2017

@JonLewis said:
    wait... you can control Virtual ANS? Oh boy.

Yes! I'm controlling Virtual ANS with Quincy at the moment.

• I tried it (iFretless-->Midiflow-->GB [Poison 202 AU])

It works!!!

• MIDI Bridge also serves to connect Geoshread and GB.

• I control Garageband with midi - no midiflow required. Just select virtual out in the controller app. I know it works with Xynthesizer and I think dotmelody.

• @gleandibson said:
    I control Garageband with midi - no midiflow required. Just select virtual out in the controller app. I know it works with Xynthesizer and I think dotmelody.

Yeah. It should work with Geo - but no. Any time I've used another app to send midi to GB it's worked.

• @skiphunt said:

@wim said:

@skiphunt said:

Thanks! I don't have MIDIFlow but will add to list when finances permit, looks handy.

• thanks this was an awesome tip!!! I hope

• One of our customers just pointed this thread out to us. Skiphunt pointed out the MIDIFLOW trick to us. We have a video on the specifics of how to set this up for GeoShred:

• @moForte said:
    One of our customers just pointed this thread out to us. Skiphunt pointed out the MIDIFLOW trick to us. We have a video on the specifics of how to set this up for GeoShred:

Ridiculously cool. First off for the playing, but especially double plus for a boffin-subject video dealt with in a way that the least of boffins (self) gets it completely. Really well done.

• Try this video of GeoShred control virtual instruments in GB if not already mentioned.

• Oh double up ops sorry.