Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Reliable Third-Party Lightning Cable? MFi Certified?

If you've been using an iPad for any period of time, like me, I'm sure you're already on at least your second or third USB-lightning cable. The Prime Directive has always been "Use ONLY Official Apple Lightning Cables and Adapters," and I get that, and have always lived by that creed.

But let's face it. These things are not built for the kind of durability we need for pro audio. Jakob Haq just posted a video where he attempts to repair several badly frayed cables with some moldable glue product -- which, frankly, doesn't look like a great solution (sorry Jakob). I think the answer it to do the unthinkable and search for something better than the official Apple product.

This leads me to ask: Can anyone recommend a reliable third-party solution?

I've seen these nice-looking braided cables. They look much more heavy duty, but of course, as a good god-fearing Apple acolyte (Appleyte?) I'm wary of straying from the "lord's path".

I've read about "MFi Certified" -- which is supposed to be like the Apple seal of compatibility. There is a brand called Anker that seems to be widely popular, and there is also "AmazonBasics". Both are heavy duty braided solutions, claim to be "Apple MFi Certified", and sell for around $13 for a 6 ft cable. (That's another thing, the Apple cable is too short for stage and studio applications!)

Anyone care to weigh in on any of this?

After going through a couple of official Apple cables, I realize we really shouldn't be placing our faith in their consumer-level cables, and like anything Apple, they aren't cheap! I wish Apple would release something better, an official cable for pro users, but in the meantime, we should really research this and come up with a recommended third party cable.

Yours ever,
Lady App.

Comments

• @Lady_App_titude said:
    If you've been using an iPad for any period of time, like me, I'm sure you're already on at least your second or third USB-lightning cable. The Prime Directive has always been "Use ONLY Official Apple Lightning Cables and Adapters," and I get that, and have always lived by that creed.

But let's face it. These things are not built for the kind of durability we need for pro audio. Jakob Haq just posted a video where he attempts to repair several badly frayed cables with some moldable glue product -- which, frankly, doesn't look like a great solution (sorry Jakob). I think the answer it to do the unthinkable and search for something better than the official Apple product.

This leads me to ask: Can anyone recommend a reliable third-party solution?

I've seen these nice-looking braided cables. They look much more heavy duty, but of course, as a good god-fearing Apple acolyte (Appleyte?) I'm wary of straying from the "lord's path".

I've read about "MFi Certified" -- which is supposed to be like the Apple seal of compatibility. There is a brand called Anker that seems to be widely popular, and there is also "AmazonBasics". Both are heavy duty braided solutions, claim to be "Apple MFi Certified", and sell for around $13 for a 6 ft cable. (That's another thing, the Apple cable is too short for stage and studio applications!)

Anyone care to weigh in on any of this?

After going through a couple of official Apple cables, I realize we really shouldn't be placing our faith in their consumer-level cables, and like anything Apple, they aren't cheap! I wish Apple would release something better, an official cable for pro users, but in the meantime, we should really research this and come up with a recommended third party cable.

Yours ever,
    Lady App.

Yes! These come in handy different lengths and in black and in white. They last me for ages in rough conditions and the angled connector reduces stress on the usually more vulnerable cable join.

I highly recommend! Hope this helps. :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00HNX1SLW/

• I'm too interested in this topic. @decibelle the angled jack sounds great in many ways but I'd hate to think what would happen if I yanked it accidentally.

• One place where apple design is really shoddy imo is their cables, just had to replace my mbp power brick and both my lightning cables are on there last legs. Thing with apple stuff, their powerbricks are usually top notch and you have to be careful if you go third party, but the cable design needs work, so I'm another one who is very interested in this thread, see what people are using.

• @decibelle said:

Yes! These come in handy different lengths and in black and in white. They last me for ages in rough conditions and the angled connector reduces stress on the usually more vulnerable cable join.

Thanks for the recommendation, decibelle. I'm wary of anything that doesn't say "MFi Certified." There seems to be a lot of discussion online about the importance of that, stuff about electrical power issues, etc. Maybe less of an issue in the UK? Maybe all hooey, for all I know, but it seems at least worth reading up on some more.

• Tom at Synthanatomy has addressed this topic in a vid:

• a have a 2m cable from a company called LMP (?). Charges the iPad Pro reliably and works with iTunes/Studiomux. The cable is a little bit thicker than the original Apple cable, which makes it more robust, but also more stiff. I actually prefer the Apple 2m cable, but it's good to have another one for rougher environments (transport, rain, etc.).

• I have used Anker products (battery packs, cables). They offer a line of MFi certified cables through Amazon at reasonable prices

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-A7101021-Lightning-USB-Cable/dp/B00K4VQZCM

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Lightning-Compact-Connector-Certified/dp/B00KGXOG9C

• @supadom said:
    I'm too interested in this topic. @decibelle the angled jack sounds great in many ways but I'd hate to think what would happen if I yanked it accidentally.

@Lady_App_titude said:

@decibelle said:

Thanks for the recommendation, decibelle. I'm wary of anything that doesn't say "MFi Certified." There seems to be a lot of discussion online about the importance of that, stuff about electrical power issues, etc. Maybe less of an issue in the UK? Maybe all hooey, for all I know, but it seems at least worth reading up on some more.

I can only say that since I first purchased 4 of them in October 2015 and several more subsequently, and used them all in rough field recording and bedtime conditions, they are all still working perfectly with zero glitches.

@supadom The angled connector is large enough to pinch comfortably and pull out/push in. My Apple cable is glitchy now after extended stress at the join point, bending where the device edge sits too near a surface. I find that yanking stresses my straight cables more than angled ones.

Whilst my Apple cable glitches after really minimal use, my StarTech ones are all atill perfect after constant use since 2015.

• What are these rough bedtime conditions of which you speak? You rock and roll people, heroin tablets, internet etc.

• We have a set we bought for work that are woven, they have a "P" with a star in it, but no brand name. They rock. Super durable, and we beat the crap out of our stuff here. Sorry I don't have the brand. I'd buy more in a heartbeat. I'd say anything woven would be better.

• I highly recommend the Anker Powerline lightning cables.

• My Anker micro usb cables have all shown more signs of stress at the connector join point than my angled ones. They still work, but I think the fabric wrapping adds more stress than it saves. Other than that, my experience with Anker products is very favourable.

I find that the design of angled connectors just is more durable as a sole result of their shape. My angled cables of all types tend to last longer than straight ones.

Nevertheless, I can equally recommend StarTech and Anker, both have been well made products for me, I have Anker portable power packs, wall chargers and cables, all excellent.

• I agree with @decibelle about the angled connectors. I prefer angled usb cables for connecting midi keyboards and angled audio cables also for connections to the back of midi keyboard seem to put less stress on the cables. I may look into angled lightning cables when I need replacements.

• edited March 2017

Been looking for cables and chargers myself. Was wondering if as long as they say mfi certified on eBay that means it's good enough.

• @TozBourne said:
    Tom at Synthanatomy has addressed this topic in a vid:

These look like the best option to me. Good price too. Added to my Amazon list for future reference when it's time to replace. thx! :)

• @Redo1 said:
    Been looking for cables and chargers myself. Was wondering if as long as they say mfi certified on eBay that means it's good enough.

I have purchased several OEM geniune apple chargers and cables for ipad, iphone and Macbook through ebay. They all worked fine.

• I've been purchasing EasySMX MFI cables with a super practical converter tip that lets me use it for either Lightning or micro USB connectors. I have 7 of them in total, around my house and in my travel bag. I totally vouch for them.

• I'm using Syncwire, 2m cable MFI certified etc and LIFETIME warranty no questions asked for 10€ on amazon.
    Works perfectly.
    However I never found an extension: Apple male/female that worked.

• @soundklinik said:
    I'm using Syncwire, 2m cable MFI certified etc and LIFETIME warranty no questions asked for 10€ on amazon.
    Works perfectly.

Have you tried a double female usb adapter? Or a female to male usb cable? Both could do the same job, if I understand you correctly? I have angled female to male usb cables, very handy.

• edited March 2017

@decibelle said:

@soundklinik said:
    I'm using Syncwire, 2m cable MFI certified etc and LIFETIME warranty no questions asked for 10€ on amazon.
    Works perfectly.

Have you tried a double female usb adapter? Or a female to male usb cable? Both could do the same job, if I understand you correctly? I have angled female to male usb cables, very handy.

Maybe I didn't explain correctly....what I need is an "extension" cable so I can plug CCK cable at the other end. CCK M/F 1 m long

• edited March 2017

@decibelle said:
    My Anker micro usb cables have all shown more signs of stress at the connector join point than my angled ones. They still work, but I think the fabric wrapping adds more stress than it saves. Other than that, my experience with Anker products is very favourable.

You mentioned fabric wrapping, so you must be using the older nylon wrapped cables. The Powerline series (no fabric wrapping) is tested and rated to be much more durable (eg 10000 bends with no sign of wear, vs 4000 with the nylon wrapped version).

• edited March 2017

Thanks for all the replies. So it seems like I've probably been overly cautious -- or outdated - in my blind faith in only official orthodox Apple cable products. Seems like there are probably a lot of reliable third party choices nowadays. I'll probably end up going with AmazonBasics or Anker, as those seem to be the most readily available on U.S. Amazon and Ebay just now. But I do like the idea of an angled solution, as my iPad sees a fair amount of quality time as and an ebook reader for me whilst lying in bed, power outlet to the side. (Don't want to harsh the mellow of any male fantasizes out there, but alas, Shakespeare or Ray Bradbury are about as exciting as any "rough bedtime conditions" get in my world. :D )

• Just threw out an old non-Apple usb charger that didn't work properly with my iPhone/iPad and an old 30 pin cable that didn't work properly either.

• edited March 2017

Can someone help me??

I have a Universal Travel Adaptor with a usb port that I want to use to charge my iPhone 4s

How do I know if it is a good charger for my iPhone?
    The instructions for the adaptor say "Ensure that your mobile electronics adaptor is rated to handle both 100~125 and 220~250 volt standards"

I don't know what to do with that ^ information. What do I need to check on the adaptor to determine whether it is an optimal charger for my iphone? USB output says 5v(is that all i need to know?

Anyone?