Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Question about Soundfont's

I picked up Bismarck BS 16i and i really like it! But what i would like to do is loading some new SF2 on it without leaving the iPhone. So is there any way (without a jailbreak) to download and open those files direct from my iPhone. IOS is great for music but the file sharing is medieval :(

Comments

• GoodReader. Period! Download either as .sf2 or .zip file then in-zip if needed and "Open In..." BS-16i and it will go into the Inbox but you can move it and make a new folder if wanted. There are tons of great free SoundFonts out there just keep in mind that almost all with have a few duds in them but you will find some gems too. SoundFonts can be great and BS-16i IS great

• Thank you for that! I was able to download some direct to dropbox etc... but then when there comes the open in... BS16i is not in the list?!?....WTF... what doing i'm wrong?

• edited August 2013

Well there aren't many apps that actually handle .sf2 format so in my experience it always shows the first couple that actually do and then a some other behind it that you can open into but it doesn't do anything with the file (except the file takes up space and you can delete it because it doesn't show it).

What I would do is; first make sure the file format is .SF2 and not still zipped up, then I would close all your apps and do a soft reset on the iPad (hold the power + home button down at the same time and don't release until the Apple logo comes up then try again to open in again

• Side note: I own almost every music app and there are only a handful that can actually support SoundFonts. The ones i can immediately think of are BS-16i, Gestrument, Changeling Sequencer, Slide Control, and maybe StepPolyArp...

• I have just an iPhone5... there are many apps ipad only (and better updated also). Seems that BS16i is now the only from my 80 music production apps on my phone which support that :) Thank's for your tips... will try that. I wish every app would support dropbox... works great for most of the things. BeatMaker2 shows how easy it can be to share files over dropbox without leaving the idevice. AudioShare is also a big player. But iOS really sucks in general about file sharing. Don't think we see here news in iOS 7......

• Yea, I hate that there is no standard way of file sharing and you have to resort to 3rd party apps to fill that need but they can only access so much, so it wouldn't be as feature rich/universal as if Apple implemented one themselves, which I don't believe we will see with iOS 7.

Let me know if closing all apps and soft-rebooting works for you. A lot of times it will work out the quirky little things like that. BS-16i should be showing at the top for that file type since so few recognize it. Also bear in mind that SoundFonts have a few different file extensions. (.SF2 / .sfArk / .SFpack) it has to be .SF2.

• Homework for me.....

• Haha sorry overly tired so talking/typing too much but I'm hoping a simple close apps and soft-reset gets you straightened out! Good luck!

• I'm wondering if Audioshare might be suitable to manage, and even create, Soundfonts.

• That would be nice!

• AudioShare does manage soundfonts, but so far simply that you can store them in the library and open them with other apps, email, etc.. I do have plans for previewing them and inspecting them: get a list of sounds in it, play some notes, etc.

• That would be great!

• Wow @J_liljedahl the thought of managing and maybe even editing and creating soundfonts from within AudioShare is making my mouth water,you continue to impress me keep it up.

• @Multitouch That would be cool, but it will only be previewing (to check out a soundfont before opening it somewhere else) and no editing/creating.

• Thanks @Flo26, glad you like it! :)

• edited August 2013

Here is a tutorial about getting soundfonts into bs 16i never having to leave the comfort of your iPad..this has its own thread elsewhere here..

• Just wanted to mention that you don't need GoodReader, if you already have AudioShare :)

Simply open the ZIP in AudioShare, long-press it and choose "UnZip". Then tap the sf2 file and press the big open-in icon and choose bs16i, or Gestrument (which can also open soundfonts).

• @thesoundtestroom: Great video, thx!
    @j_liljedahl: You make my day... and you are still in my ios developers hall of fame ;)
    Together with the Audiobus guys, the developer(s) of AlchemyMobile, ThumbJam (and the other amazing apps from Sonosaurus) and NanoStudio! These guys made the most innovative things inside the iOS music scene (for my personal workflow). Thank you for that!

• I agree 100%..I wish I had done a bit more research before going with GoodReader for this video.

• OTOH GoodReader is useful daily for that and other things; one of those indispensable apps that repeatedly gets me out of a jam. Connection to most any kind of server, for example, which AudioShare wont do, lets me grab samples from my Mac.

• Yeah, built in client to download from servers would be a nice addition to AudioShare, and something that's on my huge to-do list.

• GoodReader sets the bar there with its long list of server protocols it supports.

• I Cab Mobile browser does unzipping and downloading and open in. Also lets u download non U Tube vids ie Vimeo for ex. Sorted.

• I've been loving iFile for all of this. :-)

• New version of Goodreader (v4, universal app), introductory price (about 60% off):

https://itunes.apple.com/es/app/id777310222?mt=8

• To everyone who was interested on, Goodreader is on sale, at $0,99:

https://itunes.apple.com/es/app/id777310222?mt=8

• Thanks

• Goodreader is a sweet app for a buck. I would note that AudioShare also unzips files and stores things, but GR can do a ton of other things.

• Nobody Know Documents by Readdle? Its like Goodreader but better imo and its free almost always.Take a look...https://itunes.apple.com/es/app/documents-5-lector-rapido/id364901807?mt=8