Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Sunrizer Users

Hi, hope this is OK to post here. I'm wondering if any Sunrizer users who use it in BACKGROUND AUDIO MODE (that's important) in an ios environment w/ other synths/music-making apps can comment on whether you've noticed any oddness/stability issue. In particular, audio crackling/breakup if it sits in the background for a long time, or having Sunrizer crash when loading other apps & vice-versa. Trying to troubleshoot some issues, don't want to start blaming other apps if Sunrizer is the culprit. It's the only app among MagellanJr, Nave, Patterning, etc, that seems not not be playing nice.

I'd sure appreciate your experiences. It's such an awesome sounding synth, but right now, I can't trust it live.

Comments

• edited March 2017

I didn't get a chance to have Sunrizer sit in the background for a long time, but I did have running in AudioBus along with Magellan and being controlled by Infinite Looper and had no issues on iPad4/iOS 9.3. Had that setup going for about 15 mins or so.

Did you get the most recent update? The app had a problem with the first update (March 6th?) and was updated with a fix the following day.

• I've had the problem for about a year, newest version(s) didn't change anything. These iPad Mini2's are used for nothing beside music/studio. They're always on AC, no internet, I simply turn the screen off when not in use. I can have Lemur, MagellanJr, Nave, Patterning, MIDIBus, MIDIBridge running FOR WEEKS with no weirdness. When I load Sunrizer, odd things begin to happen to ALL the other apps(crackling audio, lost MIDI connectivity, etc), sometimes quickly, sometimes after a day or two. Been very hard to isolate. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced similar. I'm not ruling out Lemur. It is an ENORMOUSLY buggy/poorly supported necessary evil in my setup, but, as I said, none of the other apps are choking until Sunrizer is loaded.

• I haven't updated the app, but I have noticed if you turn off the internal delay whilst using other apps, it stops the popping/cracking behaviour. I now run it through AUFX dub without a problem.

• @ForestCat said:
    I've had the problem for about a year, newest version(s) didn't change anything. These iPad Mini2's are used for nothing beside music/studio. They're always on AC, no internet, I simply turn the screen off when not in use. I can have Lemur, MagellanJr, Nave, Patterning, MIDIBus, MIDIBridge running FOR WEEKS with no weirdness. When I load Sunrizer, odd things begin to happen to ALL the other apps(crackling audio, lost MIDI connectivity, etc), sometimes quickly, sometimes after a day or two. Been very hard to isolate. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced similar. I'm not ruling out Lemur. It is an ENORMOUSLY buggy/poorly supported necessary evil in my setup, but, as I said, none of the other apps are choking until Sunrizer is loaded.

Did you delete and reinstall it?

• Yeah, and the behavior is the same on two different iPadMini's. The dev is great, and he's looking at various things, I'm posting here to try & get more clues, if they exist. Maybe there's some common thread.

@LeeB said:
    I haven't updated the app, but I have noticed if you turn off the internal delay whilst using other apps, it stops the popping/cracking behaviour. I now run it through AUFX dub without a problem.

Lee, did you notice cracking immediately/always when other apps were loaded, or did it take a while to start acting up?

• @ForestCat said:
    Yeah, and the behavior is the same on two different iPadMini's. The dev is great, and he's looking at various things, I'm posting here to try & get more clues, if they exist. Maybe there's some common thread.

@LeeB said:
    I haven't updated the app, but I have noticed if you turn off the internal delay whilst using other apps, it stops the popping/cracking behaviour. I now run it through AUFX dub without a problem.

Lee, did you notice cracking immediately/always when other apps were loaded, or did it take a while to start acting up?

I'm pretty sure it only happens when hosted by another app, be it Cubasis or AudioShare, but as I say, bypassing the delay effect seems to clean it up for me.
    I really only used it in the past for short phrases and one shot samples to use in Nanostudio so it was in standalone mode.
    It was only when using it as an IAA that I first noticed glitches in the audio.

• That may not apply in my case, the apps are all standalone, communicating through coreMIDI. Doesn't start crackling right away, so it's hard to say what triggers it.

• Ive never had crackling with sunrizer, but this update is rather crackly. Why everyone has the gain so effing high on presets, ill never know

• This isn't that kind of overdrive/clipping. What I'm talking about is when you exceed the DSP capability of the cpu, like when the audio buffer latency setting is too low, etc. And it affects all the other running synths. I'm thinking that something is causing Sunrizer to start chewing up a lot of CPU cycles. Which is odd because I think it has the reputation of being CPU friendly. Probably a bug of some kind.

• @Gaia.Tree said:
    Ive never had crackling with sunrizer, but this update is rather crackly. Why everyone has the gain so effing high on presets, ill never know

I'm just checking in on this. I've been holding off on this recent update because of this bug report.

Are you still experiencing this?

Is anyone else experiencing new crackling?

What device are you on?

• I only recently bought Sunrizer due to the sale and the many accolades. Sounds good, but I have experienced weirdness off an on with crackling and sometimes not working in the background. Mostly fine, but hasn't been 100% rock solid for me.

• @johnfromberkeley said:

@Gaia.Tree said:
    Ive never had crackling with sunrizer, but this update is rather crackly. Why everyone has the gain so effing high on presets, ill never know

I'm just checking in on this. I've been holding off on this recent update because of this bug report.

Are you still experiencing this?

Is anyone else experiencing new crackling?

What device are you on?

On iPad mini 4 64gb with at least 15 gigs free space. It's still crackly for me, sometimes from too high gain and other times it seems CPU related.

• There's something wrong with the arp too. See the thread pagr4. Sunriser 50% off sale. I can't seem to copy the link sorry.

• I left a review/ on the App Store in which I briefly point out the problem.

• Just checked the arp function using GarageBand and it works perfectly. How odd!

• @Wrecked said:
    Just checked the arp function using GarageBand and it works perfectly. How odd!

What bug is it exhibiting standalone?

• Not in standalone, it's fine. It's when connected to audiobus that the arp is out of sync

• And cubasis and inter app audio. Really is a nuisance

• Just got Sunrizer (late to the party, as usual) and I had horrible crackling. After a few days of trying virtually everything to fix it... It's definitely the DELAY effect. Even the slightest amount of MIX and the crackling comes in. As long as MIX is down all the way, no issues. Not the biggest problem having to cut off the DELAY, as I have plenty of others in hardware and software, but the developer should definitely address it.

• @CF3 said:
    Just got Sunrizer (late to the party, as usual) and I had horrible crackling. After a few days of trying virtually everything to fix it... It's definitely the DELAY effect. Even the slightest amount of MIX and the crackling comes in. As long as MIX is down all the way, no issues. Not the biggest problem having to cut off the DELAY, as I have plenty of others in hardware and software, but the developer should definitely address it.

No issues here ever with crackling or delay - ipad4 iOS 9.3.

• I should have mentioned:

iPad Air 2
    iOS 11
    iConnectAudio4+
    Sequentix Cirklon (USB Bus), for sequencing.

• I get the crackling with the delay too. It never used to be the case. iPad 4 iOS 10.something.

• @CF3 said:
    Just got Sunrizer (late to the party, as usual) and I had horrible crackling. After a few days of trying virtually everything to fix it... It's definitely the DELAY effect. Even the slightest amount of MIX and the crackling comes in. As long as MIX is down all the way, no issues. Not the biggest problem having to cut off the DELAY, as I have plenty of others in hardware and software, but the developer should definitely address it.

Usually crackles comes from cpu not being able to handle what you are doing. Have you checked that you arent using some extremely low buffer sizes and high sample rates?

• @CF3 said:
    I should have mentioned:

iPad Air 2
    iOS 11

Ditto. No probs as far as I can tell even at 100% mix and feedback...

• @ToMess said:

@CF3 said:

Usually crackles comes from cpu not being able to handle what you are doing. Have you checked that you arent using some extremely low buffer sizes and high sample rates?

I’ve systematically tried every setting, by itself with nothing else running in “airplane mode”.... still crackles everytime if I even slightly turn up the Delay Mix. I never run at anything else than 44.1kHz on an ipad. I’m not having any issues like this with anyother synth app on iOS. It’s totally fine as long as I put the Delay Mix to zero.

• And your latency? Mine was at 256...

• No crackle for me. I use it in AUM. It does occasionally crash or suffer from midi stuck notes, but overall is ok.

• @rthr said:
    And your latency? Mine was at 256...

Initially 512, but I’ve experimented with EVERY setting.... still crackles when the Delay Mix is even slightly touched. It’s a mystery for sure, and honestly one I don’t have anymore time for. I just saved all the patches I like with the Mix set to zero, and moved on. I’ve got plenty of high quality delay units and Sunrizer really sounds incredible. Eventually I’m upgrading to a iPad Pro (maybe the soon to be 3), so we’ll see....

• It works well for me but sometimes weird. :/

• Maybe a re-install? My ICA4+ arrives tomorrow, so I can check that too...