Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Video...Oval Synth App by OVALSOUND Demo for the iPad

I'd love to try this out with the actual hardware drum thingy, even the built in sounds are awesome and the Reverb is just massive and lush. This is fantastic for a FREE app, especially since you can send midi out to other synths.

Comments

• Thanks for the overview, it does indeed sound lush. I can see me layering this up with other MIDId-up synths.

• Nice demo Doug! What's not to like: cool sounds, AudioBus compatible, MIDI out and it's free. The hardware looks like it would be fun to play, but it's too much for my very small music budget.

• @TozBourne said:
    Nice demo Doug! What's not to like: cool sounds, AudioBus compatible, MIDI out and it's free. The hardware looks like it would be fun to play, but it's too much for my very small music budget.

I know, very expensive, I think Jakob supported their Kick Starter campaign, maybe he'll get a discount.
    I think I'll ask them to send me demo model, although I think it's highly unlikely they would send me one lol.
    I asked the LayR people for a code for that today so I'm hoping I'll have that to demo soon, that looks awesome

• @thesoundtestroom said:

@TozBourne said:
    Nice demo Doug! What's not to like: cool sounds, AudioBus compatible, MIDI out and it's free. The hardware looks like it would be fun to play, but it's too much for my very small music budget.

I know, very expensive, I think Jakob supported their Kick Starter campaign, maybe he'll get a discount.
    I think I'll ask them to send me demo model, although I think it's highly unlikely they would send me one lol.
    I asked the LayR people for a code for that today so I'm hoping I'll have that to demo soon, that looks awesome

If you got an Oval for demoing, that would be some awesome sauce...can't hurt to ask!

I hope you get the LayR code as I know you'll show it off well. Also was wondering if IK Multimedia ever gave you a code for Miroslav-2? I won't buy that IAP until I've heard a good demo that convinces me to do so.

• @TozBourne said:

@thesoundtestroom said:

@TozBourne said:

If you got an Oval for demoing, that would be some awesome sauce...can't hurt to ask!

I hope you get the LayR code as I know you'll show it off well. Also was wondering if IK Multimedia ever gave you a code for Miroslav-2? I won't buy that IAP until I've heard a good demo that convinces me to do so.

IK got in touch with ages ago about putting on the Test Flight team for Sampletank, but they never got back in touch.

• edited March 2017

@thesoundtestroom said:

@TozBourne said:

Have the app already, but would very much value your take on LayR Sir Doug....

• What makes the controller so expensive ? It looks like you can do what you need with just the app......What does the controller bring that is worth that much ?

• @AndyPlankton said:
    What makes the controller so expensive ? It looks like you can do what you need with just the app......What does the controller bring that is worth that much ?

Mad drum-circle cred at the nearest granola-fest?

• @eustressor said:

@AndyPlankton said:
    What makes the controller so expensive ? It looks like you can do what you need with just the app......What does the controller bring that is worth that much ?

hehehe, then you can open the lid and cook sausages in it :D

• @AndyPlankton said:

It's a electronic clone of hang drum which are way more expensive (and hard to buy due an personal selling marketing from their inventors and limited units). Check the new one called Gubal:

http://panart.ch/en/articles/from-the-hang-to-the-gubal

So the hang vs oval...

And about details of the oval...
    http://cdm.link/2015/06/played-oval-digital-hang-drum-amazing/

The point is oval isn't a hang/gubal but is the cheaper midi controller hang shaped you can found ATM. There are lots of clones (tank drums and so) and alternatives in the midi realm (handsonic and so) but oval is targeted towards hang aficionados.

Said that I prefer the Impaktor approach and invest my money in other things... :V

• I probably wont buy the controller but the app is super fun to play!!

• Some very interesting sounds here - thanks (again!) for alerting me to it.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@eustressor said:

@AndyPlankton said:

hehehe, then you can open the lid and cook sausages in it :D

As long as they're tofu sausages :wink:

Definitely an unexpected treat, this controller app. Pretty nifty - thank you for the heads up and run through, @thesoundtestroom

• edited March 2017

Hang player and Oval Backer here....
    I back the Kickstarter Project cause i like the way to play with this Form and you have not only pressure sens. pads they have 5 additional sensor under the pads on the upper/left/right/down/center section of the pads plus X&Y ON the surface....

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2101519704/oval-the-first-digital-handpan
    Multi Sensing Pad with velocity and X/Y location.
    Pressure sensitive sensors for higher expression control, more organic sound, and complex possibilities such as using multiple layers of samples.
    Illuminated PADS provide visual cues for follow along mode, metronome mode, and musical games.

so i (hope&think) i could play it like i play my hang expressively with the sound nuances, cause IN the orig. Metall Hang there are 4cross Overtone points in the Oscillator section of each pads which i like very.....
    and i like to play around with new expr. controllers & i really looking forward to use it with other (MPE) synths and last but very not least with the good old thumbjam....yamyam.

• Nice video, Doug!

Tongue drum player here, and Oval backer as well. The Oval was supposed to be delivered last year but they made us wait another long year (2 years total).

@obiwahnkentobi , I'm glad they didn't send it out prematurely and unfinished. They kept adding more features and enhancements so I'm sure it was worth the wait.

• Nobody noticed the scales and base notes are not working ?

• @Proto said:
    Nobody noticed the scales and base notes are not working ?

Both seem to be working for me... This is a very cool app for FREE!

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@Proto said:

Tried the app several times and its a great app with very nice sounds only the midi-out doesnt react when i change scales and base notes. Could also be a very nice midi controller if they fixed this.

• Interesting. What I don't understand is that the base notes of the scales never are the root but actually the fifth. So for example A Ionian is actually D Ionian with a low A in the center.

• @Proto said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@Proto said:

Tried the app several times and its a great app with very nice sounds only the midi-out doesnt react when i change scales and base notes. Could also be a very nice midi controller if they fixed this.

Ah! I haven't tried the midi out.