Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

"Song mode", sequencers, arps and clock sync.

edited August 2013 in Support and Feedback

Hi all. Can this be done?

You know how some music apps have a "song mode" where you can string the patterns you've created in any order you want, repeat them, etc? (eg, DM1, iMS-20, WerkBench, even the Pattern Queue of FunkBox).

I'd like to start an app that's running in song mode at exactly the same time as an app that running it's own sequencer or arpeggiator and have them synced tightly together. That way I can try out different edits in either of the apps, and only when I'm satisfied with the result would I then send the audio off to a recording app.

Can this be done? I hear DM1 has some limitation with sending/receiving clock (this whole clock business is still a bit of a mystery to me). If not DM1 (which would be my first choice), which apps could I do this with?

I have DM1, FunkBox, Molten, S4-R, Rebirth, WerkBench, iMS-20, MoDrum, Impaktor, iElectribe, Addictive, NLog Pro, Magellan, S.

I've had no luck achieving my goal. Is it me? In my quest for sequencing convenience I've explored Little Midi Machine and Genome. So far they haven't really cut my mustard. I'm about to lash out on Midi Pattern Sequencer. If it doesn't work out, I think I'll go back to being a full-time Logic-on-laptop user, sadly.

I'll take any advice you can give. Cheers.

Comments

• Hi all. Can this be done?

You know how some music apps have a "song mode" where you can string the patterns you've created in any order you want, repeat them, etc? (eg, DM1, iMS-20, WerkBench, even the Pattern Queue of FunkBox).

I'd like to start an app that's running in song mode at exactly the same time as an app that running it's own sequencer or arpeggiator and have them synced tightly together. That way I can try out different edits in either of the apps, and only when I'm satisfied with the result would I then send the audio off to a recording app.

Can this be done? I hear DM1 has some limitation with sending/receiving clock (this whole clock business is still a bit of a mystery to me). If not DM1 (which would be my first choice), which apps could I do this with?

I have DM1, FunkBox, Molten, S4-R, Rebirth, WerkBench, iMS-20, MoDrum, Impaktor, iElectribe, Addictive, NLog Pro, Magellan, S.

I've had no luck achieving my goal. Is it me? In my quest for sequencing convenience I've explored Little Midi Machine and Genome. So far they haven't really cut my mustard. I'm about to lash out on Midi Pattern Sequencer. If it doesn't work out, I think I'll go back to being a full-time Logic-on-laptop user, sadly.

I'll take any advice you can give. Cheers.

• In theory, yes. In practice, sync remains a bit of a nightmare on iOS. Hit and miss for me anyway.

Check out this thread for dm1 sync stuff http://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/20748#Comment_20748

For midi sequencing, I think cubasis is now kinda the gold standard. Beatmaker 2 has midi out as well. I don't know either so don't listen to me.

• Thanks sc. I saw that thread five mins after posting mine. I'll have a lash at Midi Bridge. Been looking at Beatmaker2, might try it. Heard bad things about Cubasis not being too stable...

• Cubasis is rock solid nowadays. It has been very stable for quite a while. It is a very new app, and there were some problems with a big bug in the undo button, but development has been very fast, and the company has been very responsive. I've used every host on the iOS platform, and IMO Cubasis and Auria are the best. Auria doesn't do midi sequencing yet, but is great for audio. Cubasis is great for sequencing, but doen't have automation yet (but will be getting it soon). I have been very successful with getting most of the drum apps to sync with Cubasis. I wish DM1 worked properly without hacks, because it is the best drum machine available.

• i've had luck syncing Magellan's sequencer or Arp to Loopy HD. If you set Magellan to receive midi clock from Loopy, when you push play on Loopy, the Arp or Sequencer will start in Magellan in sync. Wish more synths had something like this. Addictive synth will sync start the 4-track recorder - but I don't find it that useful.

• Thanks people, I'm glad I found this place.

• @markk Welcome! We have lots of great discussions here, great people, suggestions, and ideas. Feel free to jump in and ask, share, and we'll try to help