Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Anyone gigging w/iPad as a keyboard instrument?

13»

Comments

• @Beaker said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@Beaker said:
    How are people managing quick song transitions and muting

For example, in bandhelper I’ll move from one song to the next but in aum I’ll only need 2 of 3 synths. I don’t have time to mute that 3rd synth and have something layered I don’t want

I thought about creating a “blank” patch in each synth so no sound would come out

How are others doing this?

I mute MIDI channels with patch changes. Much more natural transitions.

Mute channels, in AUM using midi? How do you do that.

I use a MIDI FX filter by AudioVeek called "MIDI Clone & Filter".

• I'll put in a plug again for AB3, which offers MIDI mutes with no additional apps necessary. Works great!

• @Beaker said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@Beaker said:

For example, in bandhelper I’ll move from one song to the next but in aum I’ll only need 2 of 3 synths. I don’t have time to mute that 3rd synth and have something layered I don’t want

I thought about creating a “blank” patch in each synth so no sound would come out

Settings > Midi ctrl > (channel you want to mute) > mute > learn

• @wim said:

@Beaker said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@Beaker said:

Settings > Midi ctrl > (channel you want to mute) > mute > learn

Yes, muting audio channel is a snap in AUM. But I thought question was about how to mute a MIDI channel, which I don't think can be done in AUM?

• My bad. Previous quotes were hidden and I didn’t expand them. Sounds like a job for Mozaic - and I think there may already be scripts for that.

• Sooooo, maybe a bit off topic and i'll move this post if in the wrong place.

I've 100% only used this IOS rig at home, i run a cable from the headphone out of my ipad to a small Behringer desk and have desktop monitors. This sounds fantastic.

I used the IOS rig at a rehearsal for the first time last night and used the same cables/connections to hook my ipad up to the PA in the rehearsal studio. The PA at the studio is really top quality and my nord sounds fantastic through it. The IOS rig on the other hand sounded terrible, I mean really really really bad. There is no way I could gig with it sounding that bad. All the patches, regardless of the app I was using (module, im1, model d) all sounded equally bad.

I did a bit of googling but couldn't find anything online about people experiencing the same issues.

Any experienced this, it was really disappointing

• @Beaker said:
    Sooooo, maybe a bit off topic and i'll move this post if in the wrong place.

I've 100% only used this IOS rig at home, i run a cable from the headphone out of my ipad to a small Behringer desk and have desktop monitors. This sounds fantastic.

I used the IOS rig at a rehearsal for the first time last night and used the same cables/connections to hook my ipad up to the PA in the rehearsal studio. The PA at the studio is really top quality and my nord sounds fantastic through it. The IOS rig on the other hand sounded terrible, I mean really really really bad. There is no way I could gig with it sounding that bad. All the patches, regardless of the app I was using (module, im1, model d) all sounded equally bad.

I did a bit of googling but couldn't find anything online about people experiencing the same issues.

Any experienced this, it was really disappointing

1. How are you connected from IPAD device to PA?
    2. At home everything is in stereo, outdoors sometimes everything is wired mono. Some patches don’t sound the same mono
    3. The speakers you have in studio might not be “flat response ones “
  • To add to what his highlighted, I had the same issue until I replaced my cable. In my studio I went iPad headphone out to a mixer in stereo. Both ends of the cable were stereo but when I went to a jam I would plug the cable into the audio in on a Fantom X6 to control the volume then use the main outs to an amp or mono PA. It sounded like crap. Bought a new high quality cable 1/8 to dual mono 1/4’s all good. Now for the jams I send 1 audio out to the PA and the other to my amp to keep the stereo field. I’m just trying to bring as little as possible to jams so no mixer. Brass, strings, EP & Galileo 2 sound great and I layer them with the Fantom. Check to make sure that you are sending out in mono and have a mono cable if going into a mono PA. Check your gain levels to make sure that you are not getting digital distortion.

• This is a very essential piece of gear
    I don’t gig without it

• I thought the cables i was using were of good quality but maybe not. Also, i need to do the proper acid test and try with my own PA. Interestingly at rehearsal, Spotify sounded amazing but all apps sounded terrible. No idea what is going on.

I will deffo look at the radial DI, that's a great suggestion

• Curious if the cable change worked for you?

Just starting out in a band myself and went iPad>plugkey>pa and it sounded horrible. Got my controller keyboard in today and was really hoping to use the Korg Module app for some different sounds.

• @hj76623 said:
    Curious if the cable change worked for you?

Just starting out in a band myself and went iPad>plugkey>pa and it sounded horrible. Got my controller keyboard in today and was really hoping to use the Korg Module app for some different sounds.

you need a DI for sure.

Becoz you never know how long are the cables are under the hood

and if possible only , ask the mixer guy to set the channel flat and that you will do all the EQ.

for the PA systems, sometimes the default settings are horrible

• Check out King Crimson’s Robert Fripp gigging with an iPad for his mellotron sounds.

• @hisdudeness said:

@hj76623 said:

you need a DI for sure.

and if possible only , ask the mixer guy to set the channel flat and that you will do all the EQ.

So try iPad>plugkey>di >pa?

• @hj76623 said:

@hisdudeness said:

@hj76623 said:

you need a DI for sure.

So try iPad>plugkey>di >pa?

Yes

• Just curious, what’s the latest with peoples gig rigs? Any success stories or flops?

I set mine up and never really gigged with it, only at home use.

I found the KORG module crashed a lot but most other apps were ok. I ditched the launchpad and it’s app and ended up loadin LG samples into my nord for dance music risers and drops etc.

What I did realise was that for the type of gigs I do I didn’t really have the right apps to pull it off. I need big sounding pads, fat basses and soaring leads.

I now also have a nord stage 3, this is my main gigging board. I hate carrying and setting up loads of gear at gigs. The 2 synth slots on the nord, while fantastic, can also be limiting if I’m using one slot for samples and the other for a lead sound. I’d still love to hook up the iPad and layer a fat bass or soaring pad.

Considering the syntronik app but at £99 it feels expensive

• Well for bass you don’t get much better than the moog Model D app.

Pads I would try the audio kit stuff or maybe the Korg iMonoPoly

• Quick revival post over a year later.

I found my iPad setup got hella complicated hella quick, anyone out there actually gigging with their mobile setup?

• @Beaker said:
    Quick revival post over a year later.

I found my iPad setup got hella complicated hella quick, anyone out there actually gigging with their mobile setup?

No one is rn lol

But I was. What is your specific question/issue ?

• @MikeyP said:

@Beaker said:

No one is rn lol

But I was. What is your specific question/issue ?

Ha true

Complexity, I have a nord stage 3 as my main rig and at home i love playing with some layers but man, it all got complex really quickly.

4 soft synths, different midi channel for each, AUM to mute, volume issues between patches, korg module crashing every 20 seconds or so.

I play in a wedding band, speed and ease are really important and wordered if anyone has a workflow they're happy to gig with, when we're gigging again :-)

• edited May 2020

Check out Keystage on the app-store
    there is also a free lite version for trying it out and tutorials on youtube how to set it up

• @Beaker said:

I reduced my live setup to a tiny iPhone SE which is controlled by CC. Recommend the same apps MIkeyP mentioned, or even using Gadget 2 (advanced MIDI mode) to create custom patches.

Also testing Nanostudio 2.

Sigh...I got baited again. Well, it is Tuesday. Thread has been successfully closed. I'm still a member of the forum, although a slightly less active one.

• Reading all your experiences, I share mine.
    In the 80's I started my first gigs with an organ and a Solina strings.
    After a while with other musicians with a base player, so I didn't need my base-pedals and therefore my keyboard rig started changing.
    In mid 80's I studied on the conservatorium in Hilversum, with gigs and giving music lessons I could finance my study at that time.
    Every year on music fairs in the Netherlands I got enthusiastic about new synths and bought them.
    I worked for about 13 years in a local music store, so the future investments were somewhat easier.
    In 2012 I invested in a Macbook-pro. (I was already an Apple desktop fan using Protools and Logic).
    In keyboards and synths-modules was sound wise for me not very much going on.
    New keys were often workstations, I always play life and the use of sequencers is not my way to make music on stage with very fine musicians, meanwhile for 35 years.
    On stage it is very convenient to use DAWS, it's flexible and much cheaper than always investing in new keys or modules.
    For years I used Mainstage and an Apogee Duet interface. This was a very stable rig.
    At this moment I use Roland RD700GX, Edirol PCR-800, Novation Impulse 61.
    I use all the control inputs for sustain, dynamics and modulation.
    During the COVID-19 lock-down as a music teacher and musician I started my "Project".
    First I started with my Ipad pro 12.9 second generation. Actually for music sheets use.
    So I treated myself with the latest 2020 Ipad-Pro 128GB and powered usb hub, just to use it as AU on stage.
    In our living room I have my keyboard rig to get the job done in small steps.
    At start I invested first in AUM and getting started, later also Audiobus 3, with the in-app midi-learn.
    This moment my list of virtual instruments:
    Ravenscroft275, HammondB-3X (New, fantastic!), Neo-Soul keys, FM Tines, Heavy Brass, iSymphonic (Basic), Pure Synth, Sunriser, bs-16i, Syntronik, Matrix Vocoder, Digital D1, Audioverb 3, Chorus, Model D,
    Vogel CMI.
    This all in Audiobus 3 and Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 Audio interface.
    Stability was my main worry, AUM was to slow for me in switching program changes and limited in app midi control functions at that time. (maybe future updates is it getting better).
    The connection of the instruments as "App" or "Audio Unit" make for some instruments the solution in stability and loading issues. In "Audio Unit" the effect sections in the apps are therefor not in use (little strange). Therefore I use the Audioverb in "Audio" setting.
    Last weeks of editing the rig stays on the whole day. During the day and evening I play.
    Sometimes the program changes (on the Roland RD700) takes another attempt.
    In my opinion it is very stable and I have no worries to use it on stage, I hope very soon in connection with the COVID-19.

• @sisterkate said:
    Check out Keystage on the app-store
    there is also a free lite version for trying it out and tutorials on youtube how to set it up

I’ll second that, I’ve recently built my live rig around KeyStage. Very handy little app.
    I have a Studiologic Numa Compact 2x as a master keyboard, controlled via KeyStage to set up splits and layers, with AUM hosting some additional synths as well as the onboard sounds on the Studiologic.

Works pretty well, although I haven’t gigged with it yet, been trying it out in practice over lockdown. Main issue seems to be that Galileo 2 keeps crashing or dropping midi connections. Both the other apps (iSymphonic, SynthMaster) are stable but not Galileo, which is a shame since it sounds awesome.

I have my first post-lockdown band rehearsal next week, so I’ll see how it goes. I don’t want to have to pull Galileo because the onboard organ on the Studiologic is ok, but not as good.

Also I can’t get the AUv2 instance of Galileo to accept midi program change. It works fine as IAA, but not as an AUv2 for some strange reason.