Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Anyone gigging w/iPad as a keyboard instrument?

Comments

• I play in a wedding band and use Band Helper to control my hardware rig.

My setup is this

ipad connected to Nord Stage 2 via lightening connection
    ipad connected bluetooth to macbook pro running ableton live and lightkey

When i select a new song in band helper, I send midi to the nord changing to the correct patch, midi is sent to the macbook pro to setup tempo in live as well as kick triggers etc and change lighting.

Something i've not yet achieved is automating the selection of patches within ipad apps like korg module via midi.

Are there any apps doing this? Reason being, I can't be messing around switching apps looking for the correct patch. I need to hit one button and everything loads on the nord, mac and ipad :-)

• I am not familiar with Band Helper (I use OnSong) but if it can send MIDI PC messages to external devices it should be able to send the same messages to internal iOS apps. Just need to lock your app to a specific MIDI channel and send the PC msgs on that channel.

HOWEVER

A great many apps don't handle this very well, particularly for user created banks and presets.
    See here -> https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/3894/bank-select-via-midi-ios-synths/p1

Apps that I use that are good in this regard: Animoog, iM1 (the rest of the Korg apps not so much), Posion-202 and FM Player, The Yonac apps, Sunrizer.

• I have a regular gig playing music for a dance company, mostly for their rec. classes. We do a lot of improv, so many times while we're experimenting I have to come up with something on the spot. And not always use the same sounds, so it's a good challenge.

I started out with an old laptop and two iPod Touch 4s. Then got an iPad3, then added an Air. And as I acquired the 'pads I retired the Touches, as they were too darn small most times in a live environment.

Now using a 2017 12.9 Pro along with the Air. The Pro runs AUM, and I have 5 or 6 synth channels all up at once, and use the faders on my KeyStation 49 mapped to AUM's volumes. I find myself using combinations at times (piano with a pad, or whatever) to add textures. The Air runs percussion and drum apps, along with LoopyHD and LaunchPad and / or Blocs.

I sometimes add in my Roland Handsonic10, and also have a few trigger pads for playing Impaktor. I also have a BopPad on order, and really looking forward to that. (I'm actually a drummer professionally, and play keyboards just well enough to not completely embarrass myself. lol) I also always have some acoustic instruments with me, such as a darbuka, alto recorder, sometimes my soprano sax.

My go-to apps: LoopyHd (sometimes with a BlueBoard), Addictive Synth, Sunrizer, Zeeon, Mersenne, bs-16i, DrumJam, Mid-east Drummer, LaunchPad, Blocs, Impaktor.

Occasional use: Garageband, SampleBot, Phonem (need to spend more time with this one!), Thor, ThumbJam, Bebot, FMPlayer, Magellan.

Have but need to spend some time with: Samplr, Groovebox, BM3, Quantiloop Pro, Group the Loop, Animoog, Kauldron, Cube Synth.

My gear goes into a Rolls MX44S MiniMix, which has four stereo channels (both 1/4" and 1/8") and then into my amp.

• Hi, since some time now I want to build a reliable and working iOS rig for the stage. I have a KORG SV-1 which is a great keyboard but lacks in the organ section. So in the beginning I thought I'll use it as a master for an iPad with Gallileo organ on it. That was my initial plan. Since than I have collected many iOS apps but meanwhile my ultimate goal is to just take an iPhone to a gig, plug it in any MIDI keyboard and have my whole setup running.

The rig so far is made from iMIDI Patchbay as the interface with a set list of songs. As sound apps I have Korg Module, Korg Gadget, Gallileo 2 organ, NeoSoul Keys and a Moog Model D. On my iPad I also have an Arturia Prophet (won't run on iPhone) and iMS-20 (won't run on iPhone neither). The iPhone/iPad is hooked up via a Korg PlugKey. As a keyboard I either use the SV-1 or an Arturia keylab 61 or both. In our rehersal room I have an M-Audio Keystation 61, so I actually do only have to carry my iPhone, some cables and pedals with me – which is incredible convenient. And it sounds really really good via the PlugKey.

All in all very KORG centric but I found them to have the best apps for my needs, especially the crossconnectivity between iPad, iPhone and MAC. Module i.e. is a great app and I have compared the sounds with the sounds from my SV-1 and it seems that they both use exactly the same sample libraries. So I basically use it for Piano sounds and it is a full featured replacement for the SV-1. The setlist feature allows for program switching which I found to be unfortunately lacking from many sound apps on iOS.

Gadget is (would) also be a great app for this purpose, but it does not support programm changes. So I end up with different gadgets for different MIDI channels if I want to use any sounds from it. A program switching feature would be absolutely awesom. So, here is my wishlist for my gear and apps:

Korg Plugkey: USB MIDI and MIDI out
    Korg iMS-20: iPhone support, Flexible MIDI channel management, Program changes
    Arturia Prophet: iPhone support, Program changes
    Korg Gadget: Program changes within the gadgets
    iMIDI Patchbay: Ability to save setlists to be used on other devices (iPad <-> iPhone), MORE external channels (why only 4?!? I - don't - get - it

In general I do not understand why so many great iPad apps do not run on iPhones, since it is really cool to have a ton of keyboards right in your pocket. And I do not understand why so many devlopers do not incorporate midi program changes, since the apps are supposed to be played via masterkeyboards anyway.

I also do not get why absolutely ALL manufacturers do 25, 49, 61 and 88 key controllers, but noone makes 73/76 key controllers which I think is the ideal size for a keyboard on stage. It seems actually that they all make the same keyboards with only minor differences.

• edited October 2018

@Doc_T said:
    In general I do not understand why so many great iPad apps do not run on iPhones, since it is really cool to have a ton of keyboards right in your pocket. And I do not understand why so many devlopers do not incorporate midi program changes, since the apps are supposed to be played via masterkeyboards anyway.

With all the stuff you need on stage anyway, does it really make a difference to put an iPad Mini on top of the controller keyboard instead of an iPhone?

I also do not get why absolutely ALL manufacturers do 25, 49, 61 and 88 key controllers, but noone makes 73/76 key controllers which I think is the ideal size for a keyboard on stage. It seems actually that they all make the same keyboards with only minor differences.

Not true. Nord/Clavia have both waterfall and full piano action variants, Yamaha MODX7 and S70XS, Kurzweil PC3 K7, ... I bet there's many more with 73 or 76 keys available today.
    Ah, and of course the controller without sound engine just released by Studiologic (SL73).
    But I know what you're talking about, still happy with a Roland XP-80 76 keys :smiley:

• @rs2000 said:
    With all the stuff you need on stage anyway, does it really make a difference to put an iPad Mini on top of the controller keyboard instead of an iPhone?

Of course not. But what is the difference between an iPad Mini and an iPhone other than that you can't telephone with the iPad? It is just the same machine so there is no rational reason to not let them run also on iPhones. Korg and others can do it. Why not the rest of the gang?

Not true. Nord/Clavia have both waterfall and full piano action variants, Yamaha MODX7 and S70XS, Kurzweil PC3 K7, ... I bet there's many more with 73 or 76 keys available today.
    Ah, and of course the controller without sound engine just released by Studiologic (SL73).
    But I know what you're talking about, still happy with a Roland XP-80 76 keys :smiley:

Sure. There are 73 key keyboards (I have a 73 Korg SV-1), but most of them are full featured keyboards with sound engines an everything but not the standard MIDI controller keyboard with faders, knobs and pads like an M-Audio Oxygen, or an Novation Launchkey, or an Arturia Keylab, or or or. They are all similar, but there is just no 73(76) key version anywhere. I have a keylab 61 and I can use the faders as organ drawbars, its an awesome controller keyboard. I can't do that with a studiologic SL73.

• @Doc_T said:

@rs2000 said:

Of course not. But what is the difference between an iPad Mini and an iPhone other than that you can't telephone with the iPad? It is just the same machine so there is no rational reason to not let them run also on iPhones. Korg and others can do it. Why not the rest of the gang?

It’s a lot of work to shrink a UI down to phone size. Take a look at the difference between the iPhone and iPad versions of GarageBand to see it done properly. You can’t just make everything smaller. Korg is a big company with resources. Most iOS music apps are made by small groups, or single people.

Putting all that work into maintaining two versions is time not spent on new features and fixes.

• edited October 2018

All the apps I have that work on iPhone and iPad (including Audiobus) have the same interface on both devices. No special iPhone version interface anywhere. Its both iOS. Yonac is certainly a smaller developer as Korg and they do it. As an iOS software developer you can simply choose if the app should run on one or the other or both during compiling. Its a simple switch. I guess that does not bind too much of additional ressources for developers.

I guess the reason for this is just thinking that noone can use the software on iPhone properly since the interface is so small. But I personally do not need an interface. I want to configure on iPad and just use the iPhone as a player. And some developers seem to do not care if this could be a problem at all and just release iOS versions that run on all iOS devices. Hey, it means that you can sell more copies.

• @Doc_T said:
    All the apps I have that work on iPhone and iPad (including Audiobus) have the same interface on both devices. No special iPhone version interface anywhere.

Not true. Look at https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/audiobus-3/id1129130361#?platform=iphone and you'll see the screenshots for iPhone and iPad are different. For example, the mixer screen has 9 sliders on the iPad, and only 3 on the iPhone. That doesn't happen automatically. Someone had to code the interface (what each page should look like) for each platform. The only time a single set of code works on both is when the small iPhone version is used on an iPad. Then the user has the choice of using it as a small app in the middle of the screen (approximating iPhone size), or blowing it up to iPad size. If that's not what you're seeing, then two different interfaces had to be programmed, an iPhone version and an iPad version, even if they are included in the same ("universal") app purchase.

• I use ipad pro 9.7 running Korg Module triggered by Studiologic Acuna 73, out the headphone jack in to Radial Trim DI and then to house PA or my keyboard amp or both. Stage setup is simple and I don't even need 110v power since the ipad can power the Acuna over usb. Main issues have been forgetting the Apple CCK which renders this setup useless (now I keep spare in car) and ipad battery eventually started behaving erratic, in shop now being replaced for $190. Part of reason I chose to go ipad route for sound module is I rehearse in 3 different places that have 3 different keyboards and the different sounds were becoming a problem so with the ipad now my sounds and set list travel with me and the keyboard doesn't matter, I can use any keyboard with a midi out and sound the same. For important gigs I do always pack a Roland XV-2020 hardware module as back up. I find the Module set list feature extremely helpful. The fact that it runs well on iphone too comes in handy too.

• I planned to expand my hardware setup with my new iPad. Now I am a bit disappointed because it doesn't work as I expected:

• Sampletank plays from all keyboards and not only from the one choosen in AUM or Audiobus
    • When I use Heavy brass inside AUM or Audiobus I don't have any effects anymore and I can only uns the factory
      presets and not the user presets.

• For using as a live host the change of presets is a bit complicate and slowly either in AUM or in Audiobus

Am I on the wrong path? How do you use these hosts?
    THX!!

• SampleTank is a bit of unwieldy beast - I am taking a second run at incorporating it into my live setup.

Some things I am learning:
    1) Put into Live mode.
    2) Create your "Multi" patches
    3) Assign your instruments to the 1-8 slots available in the multi and assign each its own MIDI channel as appropriate

• @Klimper said:
    I planned to expand my hardware setup with my new iPad. Now I am a bit disappointed because it doesn't work as I expected:

• Sampletank plays from all keyboards and not only from the one choosen in AUM or Audiobus
    • When I use Heavy brass inside AUM or Audiobus I don't have any effects anymore and I can only uns the factory

• For using as a live host the change of presets is a bit complicate and slowly either in AUM or in Audiobus

THX!!

The problem in your case is SampleTank's MIDI implementation and not an iOS issue. I believe the sampletank workaround is to make sure it is not in Omni mode and to have it listen to specific midi channels and set your keyboards' channels accordingly.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Klimper said:
    I planned to expand my hardware setup with my new iPad. Now I am a bit disappointed because it doesn't work as I expected:

THX!!

The problem in your case is SampleTank's MIDI implementation and not an iOS issue. I believe the sampletank workaround is to make sure it is not in Omni mode and to have it listen to specific midi channels and set your keyboards' channels accordingly.

(cough) thats what I Just wrote LOL

• I’d love to see videos of setups of how you folks are using your ipads.

Playing in a wedding band, I need to be able to switch sounds quickly, I can't be faffing around or the dancefloor will empty,

Video setups anyone including good bits and bad things?

• Finally get my setup working, thought I’d post a pic

• @Beaker said:
    Finally get my setup working, thought I’d post a pic

nice very nice

what exactly are you doing with launch control app?

• Kong Module + plugkey + midi controller is my prefer live setup. It never crashes and covers all my needs: splits, layers, backtracks, sheet music and set list mode. I performed a while ago live with a drummer and vocalist for a high end gig. iPad setup was rock solid, not a glitch.

• @hisdudeness said:

@Beaker said:
    Finally get my setup working, thought I’d post a pic

nice very nice

what exactly are you doing with launch control app?

Hello

So a run down of everything I’m doing here

Apps
    BandHelper - changes all my patches
    AUM - soft synth mixer
    Synths - module, iM1, model D
    Launch pad - for samples, risers, drops, congas etc etc
    Midi flow - to send the correct midi to the correct place

Hardware
    Nord stage 2
    iPad with camera kit
    USB hub
    Launch control xl - I use this as both a hardware mixer for aum and to launch samples from the launch pad app

Occasionally I add an vortex midi keytar into the mix, which I also plug the receiver into the usb hub

Midi setup
    Nord stage is midi 1
    IM1 on midi 2
    Module on midi 3
    Model D on midi 4

I use the extern section on Nord stage 2 to send midi to iPad, channel 1 is ignored by the iPad. Midi flow receives the channel 2 message from Nord and duplicates to channels 3 and 4. This allows me to hit the extern on the nord and stop or start any midi going to the iPad.

• thanks for Sharing, Im hearing about band helper for first time. need to check it out

• @Processaurus said:

@egdnola said:
    I have a very simple live setup - iPad 2 running iM1 hooked up to an M-Audio Keystation 61. I need an easy way to change sound patches during a song. Suggestions?

Thanks!

iM1 is multitimbral, so I would fill up the slots with the different sounds from the song, one in each slot, and each slot has its own midi channel. Then change midi channels on the keystation to change sounds. That setup has the nice side effect of the tail of a sound not getting cut off when you switch to another sound.

Then make a separate "program" or whatever they call it (the preset with a saved group of sounds in the slots), for each song.

If you need to layer two sounds, then put them on the same channel, and they will both play.

I own iM1 but I do not know what you are referrring to when you mention “slots”? I would love to be able to switch sounds from a Roland AX-1

• @ralis said:

@Processaurus said:

@egdnola said:
    I have a very simple live setup - iPad 2 running iM1 hooked up to an M-Audio Keystation 61. I need an easy way to change sound patches during a song. Suggestions?

Thanks!

iM1 is multitimbral, so I would fill up the slots with the different sounds from the song, one in each slot, and each slot has its own midi channel. Then change midi channels on the keystation to change sounds. That setup has the nice side effect of the tail of a sound not getting cut off when you switch to another sound.

Then make a separate "program" or whatever they call it (the preset with a saved group of sounds in the slots), for each song.

If you need to layer two sounds, then put them on the same channel, and they will both play.

I own iM1 but I do not know what you are referrring to when you mention “slots”? I would love to be able to switch sounds from a Roland AX-1

Push the button in the upper left corner, you have 8 rows for loading different sounds. Then once the sounds are loaded you can go to the midi tab and change channels for each slot/layer. You can switch between the layers and try the sounds with the built in keyboard by clicking the narrow vertical buttons by the layer numbers. You can do the stack of sounds in combi or multi mode, but not program, that’s just one sound on its own. It seems like the difference between combi and multi mode is just that in the midi section, combi mode makes all of the layers respond to Ch 1, and multi mode is Ch 1-8, one channel for each layer. You divvy the channels up any way you want though. You can do splits, or velocity splits, as well.

• edited August 2019

How are people managing quick song transitions and muting

For example, in bandhelper I’ll move from one song to the next but in aum I’ll only need 2 of 3 synths. I don’t have time to mute that 3rd synth and have something layered I don’t want

I thought about creating a “blank” patch in each synth so no sound would come out

How are others doing this?

• @Processaurus said:

@ralis said:

@Processaurus said:

@egdnola said:

Thanks!

Push the button in the upper left corner, you have 8 rows for loading different sounds. Then once the sounds are loaded you can go to the midi tab and change channels for each slot/layer. You can switch between the layers and try the sounds with the built in keyboard by clicking the narrow vertical buttons by the layer numbers. You can do the stack of sounds in combi or multi mode, but not program, that’s just one sound on its own. It seems like the difference between combi and multi mode is just that in the midi section, combi mode makes all of the layers respond to Ch 1, and multi mode is Ch 1-8, one channel for each layer. You divvy the channels up any way you want though. You can do splits, or velocity splits, as well.

Hmmm? I was just want to switch between programs say button 1 is piano, 2 is Pipe Organ, 3 is strings etc not switch midi channels

• @Beaker said:

For example, in bandhelper I’ll move from one song to the next but in aum I’ll only need 2 of 3 synths. I don’t have time to mute that 3rd synth and have something layered I don’t want

I thought about creating a “blank” patch in each synth so no sound would come out

I mute MIDI channels with patch changes. Much more natural transitions.

• edited September 2019

@Beaker
    Most keyboarders I know are quite satisfied with the Stage 2 sounds.
    Which ones do you use from the Stage 2, and which sounds do you prefer to pull from the iPad?

And have you tried switching programs in AudioLayer using Program Change messages?

Thanks for the update btw! :+1:

• I don’t think I can switch midi Channels on the Alesis Vortex 2 I believe it only transmits on midi channel one

• edited September 2019

@ralis said:

@Processaurus said:

@ralis said:

@Processaurus said:

@egdnola said:

Thanks!

Hmmm? I was just want to switch between programs say button 1 is piano, 2 is Pipe Organ, 3 is strings etc not switch midi channels

I’m not set up to check it now but I think the narrow button just changes what the on screen keyboard controls, not where the midi input on channel 1 goes? I think to control different instruments from channel 1, you’d have to be in combi mode, have everything set to listen to channel 1, and use the “on” button to turn a layer on, and then turn the previous layer off.

• @ralis said:
    I don’t think I can switch midi Channels on the Alesis Vortex 2 I believe it only transmits on midi channel one

If that is true it’s not much of an upgrade from Vortex wireless 1. I had v1 of the Vortex wireless and you can definitely switch MIDI channels. You can even make it super fast switching by setting the upper/lower zone on a toggle. I think for the channel you had to press a function button and hit a key. You should probably look at the manual, hopefully they didn’t really leave it off v2.

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@Beaker said:

I mute MIDI channels with patch changes. Much more natural transitions.

Mute channels, in AUM using midi? How do you do that.