Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Xdrummer by positive grid available now!

Comments

• Anyone tested it yet? Price seems more than decent

• Thanks for the heads-up.

• I noticed no mention of link, IAA or audiobus :/ Anyone know if its really lacking these fundamental things or did they just forget to mention them, or perhaps they are coming in a future update?

• @ToMess said:
    I noticed no mention of link, IAA or audiobus :/ Anyone know if its really lacking these fundamental things or did they just forget to mention them, or perhaps they are coming in a future update?

I was just about to mention this, I hope it's more than just a standalone practice tool.

Then again do I need more drums? Prolly not ...

• Bizarre that they took the trouble of making such a slick marketing site, but not a single video of it in action, not even on the App Store.

For the price I bought it anyway, will take it for a spin on my lunch break if possible.

• @TheVimFuego said:

@ToMess said:
    I noticed no mention of link, IAA or audiobus :/ Anyone know if its really lacking these fundamental things or did they just forget to mention them, or perhaps they are coming in a future update?

I was just about to mention this, I hope it's more than just a standalone practice tool.

Then again do I need more drums? Prolly not ...

I think the AI thing would be a really nice for me and would definitely make it easier to to some more guitar oriented stuff, since i could just play any bpm that i like, this would pick up the bpm(it a hassle figuring it out myself and my brains simply doesent connect click from a metronome with anything music related, playing on drums or other instruments is no problem tho) of some riff im playing when finding what i want and it would be really cool if this could figure some drums to go with it and do it well.

@richardyot said:
    Bizarre that they took the trouble of making such a slick marketing site, but not a single video of it in action, not even on the App Store.

For the price I bought it anyway, will take it for a spin on my lunch break if possible.

It looks like they just havent updated the site yet(it still shows the page before this was released). Im sure they'll do it asap, and i doubt that they would make videos as well. But yea, its a bit of a fuck up not to update the site, put out some videos and release the app at the same time. But maybe they were waiting for app store to make it public and just havent woken up to it yet. I have a feeling that they have all that stuff ready to release, but its pretty early in US still and people are prolly sleeping.

• No connectivity I can see, so not for me. Looks pretty, but...

• edited March 2017

Ahhhh, at Least iOS 10 :( I still read a load of negative things about 10 and the latest version still seems to be buggy.

• The cloud patterns do not seem to be ready either, it said coming in second quarter of this year. Still 10 bucks for 100's of new grooves ehhh. Who's going to take one for the team and report back? Can it really come with no way to use it iconnectively?

• I spend hours doing cover tunes of classics while sitting around in the evenings. I wonder if this could give me suitable backing? Been saving a gift card for drum session IAP's but this is here now. The old bird in the hand, but how does this bird fly I am wondering?

• edited March 2017

You have to brave Facebook but they have a page here, no more useful info for the likes of us though ...

https://www.facebook.com/positivegrid/posts/1173890565962605:0

• I can confirm no connectivity: no AU, AB, or IAA. No way to import files, no Link. Just a standalone app that seems designed for jamming along with, rather than actually creating songs.

• Thanks @richardyot for taking one for the team.

• @richardyot said:
    I can confirm no connectivity: no AU, AB, or IAA. No way to import files, no Link. Just a standalone app that seems designed for jamming along with, rather than actually creating songs.

Putting gift card away for use with Session Drummer (the real drumming application)

• Who thought this was a good marketing idea?

• @richardyot said:
    I can confirm no connectivity: no AU, AB, or IAA. No way to import files, no Link. Just a standalone app that seems designed for jamming along with, rather than actually creating songs.

Thanks, think you just saved me £10

• Strange they don't tell you how many kits are included.

"search through hundreds of drum patterns and drum kits"
    "instant access to dozens of cloud-based drum kits and drum patterns"
    "THOUSANDS OF DRUM KITS AND PATTERNS ON THE CLOUD(COMING IN Q2, 2017)"
    "an infinite cloud-based drum kit and pattern library will be available"

• I like the idea of a smart drummer ala Music Memos/Garageband ... but, yeah. Connectivity. PG should know better. Is the audio export function at all useful? 16 or 24 bit, drum stereo track at least?

• I mentioned about app being useless and not worthy of buying without IAA, LINK and audiobus on their facebook. I strongly suggest everyone else go there and express their opinion as well. https://www.facebook.com/positivegrid/

• @ToMess said:
    I mentioned about app being useless and not worthy of buying without IAA, LINK and audiobus on their facebook. I strongly suggest everyone else go there and express their opinion as well. https://www.facebook.com/positivegrid/

Been there and done that too. What were they thinking?

• I was waiting for this and thinking it sounded gimmicky for some reason or other. When news of its release came out I was a bit hopeful but the fail is too great with this one it does seem.

• OK, so I tested the "AI"... Seems to be a crock of shit.

Tried a few strumming patterns, it just kept coming up with generic rock beats, some seemed to match the strumming, others not so much. Always seemed to set a faster tempo than my playing though.

Then I tried some fingerpicking patterns, both travis picking and arpeggios, hoping it would come up with something other than a rock beat, but no, just really fast rock beats every time. How about country or folk styles? You know, for fingerpicking...

Music Memos is infinitely better than this thing. And of course you can open your Music Memo files in GarageBand and edit the drums. Not really sure what Positive Grid are trying to achieve with this, but so far it seems to be a fail.

Maybe with some better documentation and some videos I would get better results, but my initial play with it was less than compelling.

• @richardyot said:
    OK, so I tested the "AI"... Seems to be a crock of shit.

Tried a few strumming patterns, it just kept coming up with generic rock beats, some seemed to match the strumming, others not so much. Always seemed to set a faster tempo than my playing though.

Then I tried some fingerpicking patterns, both travis picking and arpeggios, hoping it would come up with something other than a rock beat, but no, just really fast rock beats every time. How about country or folk styles? You know, for fingerpicking...

Music Memos is infinitely better than this thing. And of course you can open your Music Memo files in GarageBand and edit the drums. Not really sure what Positive Grid are trying to achieve with this, but so far it seems to be a fail.

Maybe with some better documentation and some videos I would get better results, but my initial play with it was less than compelling.

Thanks for taking the hit. I have all the PG guitar stuff and I generally like it for what it is (especially at the price) but this seems like a serious mis-step and might damage their reputation with the less than casual users.

I recently got Music Memos, no idea how I missed it. Handy.

• @richardyot said:
    OK, so I tested the "AI"... Seems to be a crock of shit.

"The more you play with AI Drums, the more it will learn about your drum preferences." <------- quote from the site. So.............Maybe you just need to "play" with it more? Right? So it can learn, cuz it's smart. :# ;)

I'll stick with Drum Session. Love that app. I was beta testing this for PG. But.... I suck as a beta tester, and.......It never clicked with me.........

I still use Bias FX/Amp for my guitar. Can't get a decent sound out of the ipad without em.

• Yes, well it does improve with repeated attempts with it, but that's partly because all the early trials I did with it were just terrible: the drums would come in at least 50% faster than the tempo I was actually playing at. That does seem to settle down after some time and the tempo matching works better.

They claim it's like playing with a session drummer. I think it's like playing with a session drummer who has no feel, or who just happens to be Animal from the Muppets.

I recorded a demo so you can hear for yourself, I play the guitar while AI drum analyses the strumming, and then it crashes in, and plays lots of fills that don't go with what I'm doing:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rqz2bj8sdbiw9p1/X Drummer.m4a?dl=0

Compare this with Music Memos, which plays with a much lighter touch:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/irktfr0o0mr3ch0/Music memos.m4a?dl=0

Maybe PG customers just like to rock out, but it's supposed to be able to figure out what genre you are playing. I tried lots of different things, none of which I would describe as "rock" and everytime I got.... rock.

Obviously their AI isn't a patch on Apple's, which isn't surprising, but it makes you wonder why they bothered.

Then again maybe it will get better, this is v 1.0. Maybe I will understand it better if there is more info about it. Maybe it will learn that I don't always just want to rock. Who knows.

• @richardyot said:
    Yes, well it does improve with repeated attempts with it, but that's partly because all the early trials I did with it were just terrible: the drums would come in at least 50% faster than the tempo I was actually playing at. That does seem to settle down after some time and the tempo matching works better.

They claim it's like playing with a session drummer. I think it's like playing with a session drummer who has no feel, or who just happens to be Animal from the Muppets.

I recorded a demo so you can hear for yourself, I play the guitar while AI drum analyses the strumming, and then it crashes in, and plays lots of fills that don't go with what I'm doing:

Maybe PG customers just like to rock out, but it's supposed to be able to figure out what genre you are playing. I tried lots of different things, none of which I would describe as "rock" and everytime I got.... rock.

I actually quite like that, it's busy drumming, but more Ringo than Animal.

• @MonzoPro said:

@richardyot said:
    Yes, well it does improve with repeated attempts with it, but that's partly because all the early trials I did with it were just terrible: the drums would come in at least 50% faster than the tempo I was actually playing at. That does seem to settle down after some time and the tempo matching works better.

I actually quite like that, it's busy drumming, but more Ringo than Animal.

Ha, if I could only give you my copy of the app, I would :)

• @richardyot said:

Obviously their AI isn't a patch on Apple's, which isn't surprising, but it makes you wonder why they bothered.

Then again maybe it will get better, this is v 1.0. Maybe I will understand it better if there is more info about it. Maybe it will learn that I don't always just want to rock. Who knows.

Thanks Mister R....