Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Secret MVP App(s): The apps behind the apps................

For me the warrior apps that are indispensable out side my main music making apps are TWISTED WAVE(all iap) and LOOPERSONIC.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/loopersonic/id1063795684?mt=8

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/twistedwave-audio-editor/id401438496?mt=8

If you are into sampling or sampling your own stuff and needing to tweak or combine samples these apps are perfect.

For instance, Twisted you can import any loop or sample from really ANY app and easily adjust and amend anything from pitch to speed to adding in in house effects or any IAA effects with the press of 1button (apply). It also lets you audition any of the effects prior. Genius app. I actually owe credit to Samu for beating this app into my consciousness years ago and have loved it ever since.

The other Loopersonic is amazing. It is like LOOPY only that you can cut, paste and COMBINE any number of samples into 1 master LOOP. For me that is amazing. You can import a kick from Audiocopy, a snare from Audioshare, and record the hats in audiobus from 2 other drum apps and by selecting each sample and pressing "join" you have a loop for your clip/stem player.

This is my little Monday feel good recommendations for what helps my music production and process.

Have a great week.

Regards,

RUSTiK

Comments

• edited February 2017

Hi RUSTiK,

Thanks for the post.

Wondering if TwistedWave can help here. I've been looking for a quick and simple way to do the following. With either of these apps, can you:

a) sample some incoming audio at a known bpm, then choose the start point and "intelligently" select and trim it to a certain number of beats at the relevant bpm so that it's exactly the right length (sample accurate)?

or

b) sample some audio at whatever bpm, then manually trim the start and end points to create a loop, then timestretch it to an exact number of beats at a certain bpm?

Any help would be appreciated. Still find myself going to the PC for tasks like this, which is a vibe killer when I've got something going away from home. Naturally I'm talking about situations where I can't sync the recording on the way in.

• @RustiK I don't see any IAA effects available in TW. Only AU, and preview doesn't work. Is there something that needs to be turned on for this to work?

• For now AudioShare and Cubasis for me...

• steppolyarp. so much awesome when paired with thumbjam,fuguemachine or modstep.

• Audioshare, AUM, and Audiobus for me.

• @JeffChasteen said:
    Audioshare, AUM, and Audiobus for me.

This, this, and this.

• edited February 2017

Audioshare,aum,AB, scalegen... i want to include cubasis but it hasnt clicked for me yet.

• Similar question as @HandOfEmpty . Doesn't seem like Twisted Wave has any way of keeping track of tempo. I use the "snap" feature in AudioShare all the time. Would be great if TW had something similar.

• @JeffChasteen said:
    Audioshare, AUM, and Audiobus for me.

These are essential. Twisted Wave too.

• TwistedWave, AudioShare, and Caustic are very useful tools for editing samples each with their own strengths and weaknesses.

• @skiphunt said:
    @RustiK I don't see any IAA effects available in TW. Only AU, and preview doesn't work. Is there something that needs to be turned on for this to work?

Jeez, is it AU only?

Wow, my bad on that I guess.

Obviously AU has sort of become a standard and with that I was cool with it.

Even though, I guess I am wrong.

I am sorry.

• Obviously AUDIOBUS, but that isn't real off the beaten path, that is more gold standard, no?

• @gonekrazy3000 said:
    steppolyarp. so much awesome when paired with thumbjam,fuguemachine or modstep.

Tell me about your FM pairing. Do you mean using fugue machine to drive step polyarp? Do you set up polyphonic chords in FM to drive steppolyarp? (might i also suggest driving it with chordpolypad)?

• @RustiK said:

@skiphunt said:
    @RustiK I don't see any IAA effects available in TW. Only AU, and preview doesn't work. Is there something that needs to be turned on for this to work?

Jeez, is it AU only?

Wow, my bad on that I guess.

Obviously AU has sort of become a standard and with that I was cool with it.

Even though, I guess I am wrong.

I am sorry.

Still a solid app though. Glad I got it. And, I just noticed AU effects preview is working fine. Just tried it again on iPad & iPhone. Both worked as expected. I must've been doing something wrong before.

• wimwim
    edited February 2017

TwistedWave is great. It's such a nice app that I sometimes mess around with it even when I don't need to.

But ... not having bpm related snap functions forces me back to AudioShare for loop trimming. If it had (or has?) that ability, I'd use it all the time for loop trimming / editing.

• Changing a loop's bpm:

Just realised that pasting a loop of unknown bpm but with correct start/end points into Loopy, setting Loopy's bpm to the desired bpm, then exporting the loop again will automatically timestretch the loop. Between this and Audioshare's bpm trim, I just realised I already have what I need. So... good to go. But it would be great if AudioShare could do this too to simplify things. And wishing Loopy had advanced Ableton-esque timestretching algorithms...

iOS: almost perfect

• edited February 2017

@HandOfEmpty said:
    Changing a loop's bpm:

Just realised that pasting a loop of unknown bpm but with correct start/end points into Loopy, setting Loopy's bpm to the desired bpm, then exporting the loop again will automatically timestretch the loop. Between this and Audioshare's bpm trim, I just realised I already have what I need. So... good to go. But it would be great if AudioShare could do this too to simplify things. And wishing Loopy had advanced Ableton-esque timestretching algorithms...

iOS: almost perfect

Timely insight - thank you for sharing! I've recently been recording some great, airy/eerie pieces with Drone Tone for the desktop, recording them via Soundflower and Audacity, uploading to Dropbox and dropping into AudioShare to trim the loops - with no idea what the BPM is. This workaround should do the trick nicely.

Also, haven't tried it yet, but the Pioneer RMX-1000 has automatic BPM detection, if you're just trying to get a value for trimming in AudioShare ...

Back to the OP - I've been on about this in other threads recently, but I believe it's worth mentioning - Multitrack Song Recorder:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/multi-track-song-recorder/id390599090?mt=8

So handy for immediate idea capture with your phone, wherever you are, with whatever you have on hand, with four tracks – in case your idea happens to come in quadruple :wink: