Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MidiFlow tips and tricks?

I bought MidiFlow a long time ago, mostly to create a local network so that I could drive older synth apps with only Network connectivity (particularly older Alexander Zolotov synths).

I watched a demo video in the beginning that showed how you could use MidiFlow to map different synths to specific sections of notes on a keyboard.

The other day I was playing around with MidiFlow and realized I could restrict midi triggers to specific ranges of notes. I was using Quincy for generative midi note sequences and used MidiFlow to restrict specific ranges of notes to play specific loaded synths only.

This yielded some very pleasant results and will explore this more. But, I was curious what other interesting ideas, tips and tricks other's are using MidiFlow for?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The developer behind Midiflow is working on Midi for Audiobus 3 so will look forward to see how that is implemented. :)

One thing I did a lot was remapping midi from say, a drum app like drumjam which has fixed midi mapping to control another app or hardware which has fixed midi mapping.

• edited February 2017

@d4d0ug said:

One thing I'd love midiflow to do is add some randomness / probability into a stream of notes. I've looked but haven't seen this as a feature. Would like it to be AB / AB state save compliant too.

Really useful app tho.

I'm getting the random/probability from the source sequence via Quincy, Xynthesizr, Refraktions...

I get what you're describing is different, but, now that Dhalang MG has multi-channel AB/ IAA support, etc. an very sophisticated and complex probability routines built-in... I bet some wild results could be had routing Dhalang into MidiFlow, and onto various external synths.

• @skiphunt
    Do you maybe know if midiflow can be used to sync cubasis midi clock with apps that only support the network session ?

• @Proto said:
    @skiphunt
    Do you maybe know if midiflow can be used to sync cubasis midi clock with apps that only support the network session ?

I don't have Cubasis (went Auria Pro) but I've used MidiFlow successfully in a variety of sketchy or limited midi connections with great success most of the time. I bet it would but someone with Cubasis and MidiFlow would need to confirm.

• edited February 2017

@Carnbot said:
    The developer behind Midiflow is working on Midi for Audiobus 3 so will look forward to see how that is implemented. :)

One thing I did a lot was remapping midi from say, a drum app like drumjam which has fixed midi mapping to control another app or hardware which has fixed midi mapping.

I see you're a fellow Dhalang MG user/fan. Now with all the new IAA/AB multiple ports I thought I'd try to load Dhalang MG into MidiFlow and filter the notes from several generative Dhalang midi streams to various other synths like I'm doing with Quincy. Only, Dhalang MG doesn't load into MidiFlow. It's IAA/AB compliant so I'm not sure why it wouldn't show up. Any clue? @Hypertonal

• @skiphunt said:

@Carnbot said:
    The developer behind Midiflow is working on Midi for Audiobus 3 so will look forward to see how that is implemented. :)

I see you're a fellow Dhalang MG user/fan. Now with all the new IAA/AB multiple ports I thought I'd try to load Dhalang MG into MidiFlow and filter the notes from several generative Dhalang midi streams to various other synths like I'm doing with Quincy. Only, Dhalang MG doesn't load into MidiFlow. It's IAA/AB compliant so I'm not sure why it wouldn't show up. Any clue? @Hypertonal

I think the IAA out ports are audio only, not totally sure how it works but I think that's the case. But you can certainly manipulate midi via midiflow from Dhalang using one port and use the diffferent midi channels for the different streams. Then you can manipulate the midi data in midiflow any way you want.

so if you set up a vector stream to an external midi out channel 1 and then say a particle stream to midi out channel 2. Then in Midiflow set up a custom virtual port, call it MF1 or Dhalang etc setup multiple lanes with this port but restrict each lane to a channel 1, 2 etc

Then in Dhalang set the midi out port as the midiflow custom port you created, in my case MF1. So now in midiflow the midi can be routed to different apps midi ports.

If you didn't want to change the midi, it would be easier just to send the midi to AUM from Dhalang and filter the ports in that, you can also filter note range in AUM too. But sending to midiflow gives you more options.

• @Carnbot I don't need to load Dhalang into the top "add" slot first? That what I was doing with Quincy, i.e. loading/adding Quincy to 4 slots on channe 1, then remapping 3 of them to channels 2-4cwich varying note restrictions and 4 different synths added at the end of each chain.

Was trying the same with Dhalang but it doesn't show up in the add list in Midiflow.

• @skiphunt said:
    @Carnbot I don't need to load Dhalang into the top "add" slot first? That what I was doing with Quincy, i.e. loading/adding Quincy to 4 slots on channe 1, then remapping 3 of them to channels 2-4cwich varying note restrictions and 4 different synths added at the end of each chain.

Was trying the same with Dhalang but it doesn't show up in the add list in Midiflow.

No you can't select Dhalang in the midiflow list, I think because Dhalang doesn't broadcast it's own virtual Midi port. So to workaround create a virtual port in midiflow and in Dhalang settings set it's out port to that one, then in midiflow setup the lanes with the split midi channels as above.

it creates the same result as what you're after I think, just takes longer to set up...

• @Carnbot said:

@skiphunt said:
    @Carnbot I don't need to load Dhalang into the top "add" slot first? That what I was doing with Quincy, i.e. loading/adding Quincy to 4 slots on channe 1, then remapping 3 of them to channels 2-4cwich varying note restrictions and 4 different synths added at the end of each chain.

No you can't select Dhalang in the midiflow list, I think because Dhalang doesn't broadcast it's own virtual Midi port. So to workaround create a virtual port in midiflow and in Dhalang settings set it's out port to that one, then in midiflow setup the lanes with the split midi channels as above.

it creates the same result as what you're after I think, just takes longer to set up...

Cool. Thanks!!! :)