Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

REDSHRIKE: Anyone dig deep on this yet?

As far as preset development or overall understanding of what makes this special among the other most excellent Ice Gear synth apps?

Yes, please petition them for an update/LINK for Xenon BTW.

Comments

• Honestly, no. The amount of screens to flip through kills all the fun, even running it on iPad. Sort of like Tera Synth in that regard, but that one was much cleaner to sort through.

• Also, the most redeeming quality on their previous synths was the one-screen programming. I wasn't super impressed with the sound of any of them. Mersenne and the Laplace were unique, though

• edited February 2017

Redshrike combines subtractive, fm, resonator syntheses in a way that is fun to tweak and easy to make sound interesting by accident. I like to make the pitch go wonky so I love the pitch module. The filter section has that that knob that can bring back the low end lost when resonance was increased which is nice and unique in iOS synths I think. The delay section is always great in iceGear synths and this one is no exception.
    It could maybe use a high pass filter and another oscillator and sound more analogue-ish but it is it's own beast and it's lot of fun. I like it.

• @RustiK said:
    As far as preset development or overall understanding of what makes this special among the other most excellent Ice Gear synth apps?

There's a Haq attack episode and thread https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/295840/#Comment_295840

• @firejan82 said:
    Redshrike combines subtractive, fm, resonator syntheses in a way that is fun to tweak and easy to make sound interesting by accident. I like to make the pitch go wonky so I love the pitch module. The filter section has that that knob that can bring back the low end lost when resonance was increased which is nice and unique in iOS synths I think. The delay section is always great in iceGear synths and this one is no exception.
    It could maybe use a high pass filter and another oscillator and sound more analogue-ish but it is it's own beast and it's lot of fun. I like it.

@Littlewoodg said:

@RustiK said:

There's a Haq attack episode and thread https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/295840/#Comment_295840

Yeah.......................
    I dunno on this one.

I have tried twice. 1 more shot and off the dustbin of apps that could have been.

Laplace is in my top 5 synth apps

• I like it, but I think that's because it's not too deep for me. I don't like twiddling too long, especially on my phone, and I seem to be able to jump in and make a sound I like pretty quickly in Redshrike.

Probably just not for you.

• @aaronpc said:
    I like it, but I think that's because it's not too deep for me. I don't like twiddling too long, especially on my phone, and I seem to be able to jump in and make a sound I like pretty quickly in Redshrike.

Probably just not for you.

Maybe you nailed it.

Maybe I just don't like using the iPHone version on my iPads.

• Great sounding synth imho. Whilst it might not be up there in the super synth premiere league it has a ton of its own 'character', reminding me of Sunrizer in that respect.

• @Paul16 said:
    Great sounding synth imho. Whilst it might not be up there in the super synth premiere league it has a ton of its own 'character', reminding me of Sunrizer in that respect.

That is actually a really cool description.

I will keep that in mind.

Speaking of, what happened to Dagger?

Anyway, thanks!

• The scrolling is a bit of a faff but I do particularly enjoy the resonater & filter sections. As fine as Laplace, Lorentz & Mersenne are, I always seem to get more out of this one.

• @Paul16 said:
    The scrolling is a bit of a faff but I do particularly enjoy the resonater & filter sections. As fine as Laplace, Lorentz & Mersenne are, I always seem to get more out of this one.

Orly?

I bet you if you downloaded my custom banks for Lorenzt and Laplace you may feel different.

Seriously though I will take your comments under advisement and put an effort in

I will Ice apps preset banks x fered easier.

• I also prefer Redshrike to Lorentz, Laplace and Marsenne despite the lack of iPad optimization. Cassini and Redshrike are my favorite iceGear instruments. I was put off by the resonator in Lorentz, Laplace and Marsenne, sounded too harsh to me. in Redshrike I feel it's easier to make it sound musical.

• @firejan82 said:
    I also prefer Redshrike to Lorentz, Laplace and Marsenne despite the lack of iPad optimization. Cassini and Redshrike are my favorite iceGear instruments. I was put off by the resonator in Lorentz, Laplace and Marsenne, sounded too harsh to me. in Redshrike I feel it's easier to make it sound musical.

Lorentz and Laplace are lovely apps, but I also find myself using Redshrike more often.

• I like this one, especially it's pads. The arp is decent too.

• @skiphunt said:
    I like this one, especially it's pads. The arp is decent too.

Another shoutout for the arp!

• @firejan82 said:
    I also prefer Redshrike to Lorentz, Laplace and Marsenne despite the lack of iPad optimization. Cassini and Redshrike are my favorite iceGear instruments. I was put off by the resonator in Lorentz, Laplace and Marsenne, sounded too harsh to me. in Redshrike I feel it's easier to make it sound musical.

Damn

I will definate dedicate tonight to Redsh.

I appreciate your feedback

• @RustiK said:
    Orly?

I bet you if you downloaded my custom banks for Lorenzt and Laplace you may feel different.

Seriously though I will take your comments under advisement and put an effort in

I will Ice apps preset banks x fered easier.

Yay, I'd be pleased to !

• I am not a big fan of Redshrike, but some sounds have a special soul. I cannot describe it better - some sounds are somehow "organic" or "living" like a real music instrument, even when they sound digital.

• This thread made me curious and bought Mersenne and Redshrike. Like them both, but was expecting Redshrike was a bit easier to tweak and think i need some more practise before I understand how all the LFO's and env's affect each other.

• @Proto said:
    This thread made me curious and bought Mersenne and Redshrike. Like them both, but was expecting Redshrike was a bit easier to tweak and think i need some more practise before I understand how all the LFO's and env's affect each other.

LaPlace is actually my fave of all Ice Gear apps.

One of the most fun things I ever did was my "master thy app" process was with Laplace.

That is I dedicate time to make an entire song (all instruments) with 1 synth app.

:smile:

LaPlace was the most rewarding app I did it with since Animoog and Nave way back when.

I find Laplace an extremely unique synth. I don't think their is anything like it.

It is great for crazy sounding leads and fx, drums and percussion, as well as strings and FM styles.

I know subjective, but, I thought you would like to know.

• @RustiK said:

@Proto said:
    This thread made me curious and bought Mersenne and Redshrike. Like them both, but was expecting Redshrike was a bit easier to tweak and think i need some more practise before I understand how all the LFO's and env's affect each other.

One of the most fun things I ever did was my "master thy app" process was with Laplace.

That is I dedicate time to make an entire song (all instruments) with 1 synth app.

LaPlace was the most rewarding app I did it with since Animoog and Nave way back when.

I find Laplace an extremely unique synth. I don't think their is anything like it.

It is great for crazy sounding leads and fx, drums and percussion, as well as strings and FM styles.

I know subjective, but, I thought you would like to know

Nice to know and must admit i also did like the sound of Laplace watching the demo videos. I was hoping Redshrike could create the same sounds like LaPlace, but they all sound different. Next purchase will be LaPlace. Thanks :)

• One of my dreams for 2017 is that Mersenne and Redshrike become universal. Mersenne would get the scrolling treatment on iPhone, and Redshrike would fit all controls on one screen on iPad. Wouldn't mind at all if Laplace and Lorentz got the scrolling treatment too :)

• @Proto said:

@RustiK said:

@Proto said:

I know subjective, but, I thought you would like to know

Nice to know and must admit i also did like the sound of Laplace watching the demo videos. I was hoping Redshrike could create the same sounds like LaPlace, but they all sound different. Next purchase will be LaPlace. Thanks :)

I thought so as well due to the resonator design, but apparently not.

The lateral movement is really an issue for me.

I can't use Tera or Zed for those exact reason.

• Had a moment of weakness last night and purchased Redshrike based on my love of the dev's other apps. So far I dig it. But then read this thread and see all this talk of LaPlace. The plucked string description sort of put me off as I don't particularly like those emulations. However, now I'm rethinking this app.

I guess we all have things that just "speak to us" and IceWorks just really get under my skin. In a good way...

• I don't particularly seek out the plucked string sound for synths. I am mostly using synths in conjunction with being mainly a guitar player. So...I have an easier means to getting string sounds. :neutral:
    BUT in Laplace, I often find myself adding just a hint of the click section to accent transients, without them becoming the dominant vibe of the patch. There is a click-noise mix knob. Try some of the presets and put it mostly on noise to see what I'm talking about.

Redshrike, where I keep loading it up, is because of the different types of noise it offers. I could use that stuff all day.

• @Multicellular - so you’d recommend LaPlace as well?

• all icegear synths have something special about them. i use Mersenne and Kronecker the most but Redshrike has something that stands out and i cant really describe it. Laplace was the last one i bought but still havent really dug too deep on it yet. maybe thats my next goal now.

• @kinkujin said:
    @Multicellular - so you’d recommend LaPlace as well?

Well I would. They all have their own sounds as you’d expect. especially considering, for where they can fill similar sounds to other synths, they tend to do so with somewhat less cpu usage.

Granted that may be in some ways in sacrifice to some subtleties mostly in the intentional imperfection areas, e.g. compared to some Moog models. But I personally will sometimes prioritize cpu usage because, really in the mix, I don’t think most non musician people will hear those subtleties.

But I’m not an analog purist. I have a half dozen analog synths and I love their sound, but an original cool digital sound, like these Icegears, I can totally dig that too. I’m really most partial to any synths going thru a guitar amp anyway which kinda ‘eats’ some of the digital perfection anyway.

• Cassini is a blast!

• edited September 2018

@Kühl said:
    Cassini is a blast!

I agree! Works great on my old trusty iPad 2 as well.

@Multicellular Guess I’ll need to look around for some sound demos. Thanks!