Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What iOS App is closest to the Doepfer Dark Time Sequencer?

that hopefully has midi learn so that you can map it to hardware?

Comments

• edited February 2017

midiSequencer, easily. The in-progress rack sequencer is even more so like it (and way way beyond). In the new app you can have up to 6 sequences of up to 64 steps. Additionally, each sequence can have up to 4 separate sections from the same 64 steps that you can toggle on or off independently (so in practice it's actually 24 sequences). Each of those sections can have their own clock division, transposition... It's mind boggling.

Though I think you could do quite a lot of that video directly in iMS20. :)

• @syrupcore said:
    midiSequencer, easily. The in-progress rack sequencer is even more so like it (and way way beyond).

gracias gracias

• ^ (edited my answer)

• I take it 'the in-progress rack sequencer' is not the name of another one but something in the works by the midi seq dev :)

• @kobamoto said:
    I take it 'the in-progress rack sequencer' is not the name of another one but something in the works by the midi seq dev :)

Oops. Yes, correct. Pretty sure it will be an entirely new app though. I've been following discussion of it for so long around here I just assumed everyone knows what I'm talking about. :)

• Think the main thing to know with midiSequencer is that it's very much in the spirit of something like the Dark Time: it's meant to be played (as seen in the video)—adjust step values while it loops, adjust the stop and start positions, mute and skip steps... It's not meant as a replacement for a DAW's piano roll.

• no worries I don't use piano rolls (not even when using fruity loops lol), this is just what I was looking for, love it..... thank you

• edited February 2017

this is a really beautiful app

• Syrupcore is there anything else you like in this vein?

• don't see link, am I missing it?

• love that this app goes down to 1bpm

• @kobamoto said:
    don't see link, am I missing it?

No Link. Link will be in the new app. Not sure if midiSequencer will get it or not.

@kobamoto said:
    Syrupcore is there anything else you like in this vein?

midiSTEPS is similar in use. Looks quite different but same idea. Plus, 4 tracks.

• There are many many little treats within midiSequencer but here's two:

1. Each step can have its own MIDI channel. Hit 'CH' in the lower right.
    2. The cycle button makes pretty much all changes wait until the next full loop cycle. So you can transpose or adjust step values or change the midi channel or mute a step or change the clock division ... and even if the 'playhead' passes that step, you will not hear the effect until the next sequence revolution. Makes locking a bunch of changes to the beat much easier. And, if you don't know about it, can cause full on 'WTF' moments. :) Or it did for me anyway.
  • I sincerely hope the new app at least has the option of keeping the same look, I love the look of this app,

things I don't like the knobs are so sensitive, really needs a corse /fine option.

you say midi steps has 4 tracks, do you know of any other apps like this that have more than 4 tracks but keep the midi sequencer ethos?

• btw thanks for the info, really appreciate it...
    if analog midi sequencer did 8 tracks it would be almost perfect for me

• arrrrrrrrggggghhhhhhhhh these knobs are impossible to adjust..... luckily I'm only using this for production right now and not in a live setting or I'd be pulling my hair out.... how are people working with these knobs and not losing their minds... :smiley:
    love the rest though

• some others

• so who's into B-step 2 pro?

• @kobamoto said:
    arrrrrrrrggggghhhhhhhhh these knobs are impossible to adjust..... luckily I'm only using this for production right now and not in a live setting or I'd be pulling my hair out.... how are people working with these knobs and not losing their minds... :smiley:
    love the rest though

Yes. The knobs are really unruly. Can be maddening.

I don't know of an 8-track step sequencer. Like I said, the new sequencer Tony's working on is 6 tracks though, in practice, it's actually 24 tracks.

• Except for the fact that it's vanished from the App Store...

• edited February 2017

Or

Step Sequencer by Matthias Schorer
    https://appsto.re/gb/LPBCJ.i

• Or the one built into Magellan?

• edited February 2017

this is my new app.... now called Quantum.
    It now has sequence versions you can load on the fly (e.g. during play) - to replace a whole sequence.
    Just finishing off the last bits (iCloud, Ableton Link beat sync, some more midi input mapping using nrpn to allow you to automate - e.g. play a part of a sequence, interactive help, follow actions like transpose and start another sequence etc).
    It will also be universal (iPhone 6+ displays two sequences, iPhone 6 displays 1 sequence, iPad will be 3, but you can page).
    Sequences can be designated transpose - so can be summed to drive another sequence.
    I've added new loop types too Brownian motion, forward & skip (e.g. F+1 plays every other step).
    There is an undo on fader changes too and an ability to select, copy, select again and paste for individual or a group of steps - useful for duplicating patterns - especially useful now you have 64 steps available.

Here is an audio demo of it driving a set of PC soft synths

• @midiSequencer said:

this is my new app.... now called Quantum.
    It now has sequence versions you can load on the fly (e.g. during play) - to replace a whole sequence.
    Just finishing off the last bits (iCloud, Ableton Link beat sync, some more midi input mapping using nrpn to allow you to automate - e.g. play a part of a sequence, interactive help, follow actions like transpose and start another sequence etc).
    It will also be universal (iPhone 6+ displays two sequences, iPhone 6 displays 1 sequence, iPad will be 3, but you can page).
    Sequences can be designated transpose - so can be summed to drive another sequence.
    I've added new loop types too Brownian motion, forward & skip (e.g. F+1 plays every other step).
    There is an undo on fader changes too and an ability to select, copy, select again and paste for individual or a group of steps - useful for duplicating patterns - especially useful now you have 64 steps available.

Hey, I didn't pick up midiSequencer back when it was on sale because it sounded like you were working on a brand new separate version. Once Quantum drops, will there be any reason to also have midiSequencer? Or, will this one kind of replace it?

• edited February 2017

@skiphunt
    Replace & extend it - think of it as at least 6 midiSequencers but each one can be split into 4 parts. Only noteTime not carried over (but that could change).
    However, if you don't understand midiSequencer this will not make sense, so midiSequencer still has a place - I'm not aiming this new app at the casual user, but someone who doesn't play keyboards and wants interactive complex pattern generation - the essence of hardware step sequencers(if you add all the modules and buy multiple racks).

• @midisequencer

the feature set on quantum looks dreamy, just curious why note time not carried over, also what about the knobs are they easier to control than on midi sequencer.....

what kind of additions are there to the midi fx........ what I'm hoping you'll say is that there are loads of new and interesting midi fx for glitching, bending, breaking down the tempo, offsetting and just completely flipping the script....

I know that these things are possible with the main sequencer itself, but when stuff like this is put in FX modules that you can drop and place anywhere it can make such complex events much more accessible and sometimes allow one to see a way to do something they couldn't work out otherwise.
    also I'd like to know have you implemented a more robust set of scales, chords, etc....

I will be buying Quantum on day one. :)

• edited February 2017

@kobamoto - noteTime - no reason - lots of tempo divisions to play with, but I will be adding it - off to do that now!
    nothing new on the midiFx just yet - but all sequences can have their own midi fx (or share a global one) - so you can have 6 different sets of midi fx & midi cc controllers. Tell me what fx is missing and I'll add it - I mostly use echo myself as it does, as you say 'break down the tempo'

For scales I am going to allow a better setup - so all twelve chromatic notes mapped to bb, b,natural, sharp, x - so all possible scales are possible. Presets too to make it easier to pick exotic ones.

Chords are the same, but you can audition them now. With the copy/paste steps (or a whole sequence) function it's easier to copy chords to other steps(e.g. setup step 1, copy, select all other steps, paste and voila!).

• Sequences can be designated transpose - so can be summed to drive another sequence.

Is an incredible feature. To be clear, any sequencer can be designated as a 'transpose source' and one-or-more other sequencer(s) can be told to listen to that sequence to transpose its steps. Set the transpose source sequence to a slower clock division and it can make other sequences change over time (basically song mode).