Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

A Conversation With Brian Eno About Ambient Music

“The path of least resistance for anyone with a lot of sound-making tools is to keep making more sounds. The path of discipline is to say: Let’s see how few we can get away with.”

http://pitchfork.com/features/interview/10023-a-conversation-with-brian-eno-about-ambient-music/

Comments

• Bleh. Eno apparently now fancies himself as some sort of cross between an intellect and a revolutionary, but he's merely become the product of a society of convenience. He should probably just STFU. That would be his greatest statement.

• @1P18 said:
    Bleh. Eno apparently now fancies himself as some sort of cross between an intellect and a revolutionary, but he's merely become the product of a society of convenience. He should probably just STFU. That would be his greatest statement.

“The path of least resistance for anyone with a lot of sound-making tools is to keep making more sounds. The path of discipline is to say: Let’s see how few we can get away with.”

I think that's a very shrewd statement that most of us can relate to. Especially if you swap out "making more sounds" with "buying more apps."

Maybe you should not read him (although I'm guessing you had this opinion fully formed and didn't bother to follow the link).
    I think Eno's great.
    Who are your heroes?

• I like Eno. I like much of his ambient work, but not all of it. I liked Roxy Music too. His production on many albums he's worked on is genius. The articles and interviews I've read are often compelling.

The quote in the original post is what I was keying in on mostly... after just buying even more apps I don't really need. ;)

• @1P18 said:
    Bleh. Eno apparently now fancies himself as some sort of cross between an intellect and a revolutionary

He's always thought of himself this way, no?

• Fun read, thanks. There's a bit about the pricing of the Reflections app in case anyone is interested.

• edited February 2017

Eno is relevant. Hard to deny. Probably listened to eno as much as any other artist over the years. On the bus today I had Evening star in my ears.

• @Redo1 said:
    Eno is relevant. Hard to deny. Probably listened to eno as much as any other artist over the years. On the bus today I had Evening star in my ears.

Bought it donkeys years ago but couldn't stand it, nearly 40 years later and I love it now. Weird how your tastes change.

• @1P18 said:
    Bleh. Eno apparently now fancies himself as some sort of cross between an intellect and a revolutionary,

>

Eno's a thinker and an ideas man, he has thoughts about society and culture too and has been interviewed about such things a lot (a lot of these interviews are pretty samey).

Keep at it Brian, I say.

• @Paul16 are these "olblique strategies"?

• @skiphunt said:

http://pitchfork.com/features/interview/10023-a-conversation-with-brian-eno-about-ambient-music/

Love this. Eno has been a tremendous influence on my art.

• Nice read,
    Thanks

• Yeah, he was prickish in that one. But to be fair, the journalist was not up to the task, either.

• Seems a reasonable response (he's only human)

“I’m sorry,” he says. “I’m very tired today because I didn’t sleep last night. And I knew I was going to be ratty, so I’m sorry about that. But I really don’t want to spend the rest of my life – I’m now 68, so I might have another 15 to 20 years left – talking about my history. So, given the little time I’ve got left on this planet, I would really love to focus on some of the new things I’m doing.”

• I think Eno's production on Bowie's "1. Outside" is magnificent and way underrated :

• Reflections was a misstep I think. A bad composition to use to show off generative music due to the 'less is more' philosophy. That philosophy has served him well many times in the past, but I didn't get anything more out of Reflections from listening to the app for a few hrs vs. Listening to the LP version on Spotify.

• @ExAsperis99 said:

Yeah, he was prickish in that one. But to be fair, the journalist was not up to the task, either.

Yeah, I posted a response similar to that in the comments.

• @oat_phipps said:
    Reflections was a misstep I think. A bad composition to use to show off generative music due to the 'less is more' philosophy. That philosophy has served him well many times in the past, but I didn't get anything more out of Reflections from listening to the app for a few hrs vs. Listening to the LP version on Spotify.

I was curious about Reflection. Didn't buy it, but I think his rationale for the pricing is reasonable, ie. it never plays back the same way. I might have bit closer to the $20 price point. I'm listening to the Spotify LP now (didn't know it was streaming) and like it so far. But, it's hard to imagine it's already random/generative quality expanding out for more added value of the generative app.

Still, if it went on sale around the $20 mark... I think I'd buy it.

• edited February 2017

Lazy interviewer (as Eno rather sharply pointed out !)

"I am not sure I get ambient – it’s pleasant but dull"

He must get really sick of talking about the past / the same old questions, especially considering he's 68.

• edited February 2017

@skiphunt said:

@oat_phipps said:
    Reflections was a misstep I think. A bad composition to use to show off generative music due to the 'less is more' philosophy. That philosophy has served him well many times in the past, but I didn't get anything more out of Reflections from listening to the app for a few hrs vs. Listening to the LP version on Spotify.

I was curious about Reflection. Didn't buy it, but I think his rationale for the pricing is reasonable, ie. it never plays back the same way. I might have bit closer to the $20 price point. I'm listening to the Spotify LP now (didn't know it was streaming) and like it so far. But, it's hard to imagine it's already random/generative quality expanding out for more added value of the generative app.

Still, if it went on sale around the $20 mark... I think I'd buy it.

I got it when it went down to $31, just because I had credit. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone at any price over the cd/digital cost unless you just love the composition. Personally, I thought it was very middling. I bit because I was curious about the generative aspects.

Scape was much more impressive with its relatively vast shifts in mood/tone and bevy of instruments available. I knew this one wasn't interactive, but there's just not enough instrumentation there. It gets annoying when the generator sometimes decides to play the really high resonance noise back to back to back. The app actually took me out of the zone instead of enhancing it.

• @skiphunt said:

Seems a reasonable response (he's only human)

“I’m sorry,” he says. “I’m very tired today because I didn’t sleep last night. And I knew I was going to be ratty, so I’m sorry about that. But I really don’t want to spend the rest of my life – I’m now 68, so I might have another 15 to 20 years left – talking about my history. So, given the little time I’ve got left on this planet, I would really love to focus on some of the new things I’m doing.”

I like the non-PR speak. Refreshing actually.

• If Brian Eno married Yoko Ono and they wanted to name their child after a famous Irish singer and an Olympic gold-medalist in speed skating...

• @RulesOfBlazon said:
    If Brian Eno married Yoko Ono and they wanted to name their child after a famous Irish singer and an Olympic gold-medalist in speed skating...

Bono Apolo Eno-Ono ? (Or Enya Apolo if it's a girl)

• edited February 2017

Teacher, looking at class list: "Ono-Eno? Bono Ohno Ono-Eno?"
    Second graders snicker.
    "Present."

Forms death-metal band at age 14. Becomes accountant.

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    Second graders snicker.
    "Present."

Ya know, that kid would literally be able to do anything in the world he wanted with the full support of his folks. Not a bad deal (except for the name, of course, but you can't have everything...)

• @RulesOfBlazon said:

@ExAsperis99 said:
    Second graders snicker.
    "Present."

Ya know, that kid would literally be able to do anything in the world he wanted with the full support of his folks. Not a bad deal (except for the name, of course, but you can't have everything...)

Nah. He'd be a right difficult bastard and change his name to Paul Hewson out of spite.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@RulesOfBlazon said:

@ExAsperis99 said:
    Second graders snicker.
    "Present."

Nah. He'd be a right difficult bastard and change his name to Paul Hewson out of spite.

Heh. Prolly. Then he'd join the Marines.

• I used to love "Another Green World". Haven't listened to it for while. Amazing how many of those early Eno songs had very strong melodies, with a very approachable, fragile quality.
    (When she was working in art, my wife once had dinner with Eno in NY. She can't remember anything about it, alas...)