Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Nodal - probability theory sampler

Comments

• That's good to hear. I want to delete all my crappy samples. Maybe put some sort of folder system in place too?

Adding filters will be a good thing. Hope he goes through with it.

• edited March 2017

@not_elvis said:
    That's good to hear. I want to delete all my crappy samples. Maybe put some sort of folder system in place too?

I kind of wish he'd @TheNodalGuy just release what he has now... before waiting for the extra goodies. He's already delivered in the beta on the two main things I wanted. And, the last beta update seems pretty stable. Though, that sample synthesis he's reading up on does sound dreamy. :)

• @kobamoto said:
    yummy for more sample synthesis..... and he might as well throw a slicer in there as well it can only help ;)

I was thinking the same thing!

• @TheNodalGuy said:

@kobamoto said:
    yummy for more sample synthesis..... and he might as well throw a slicer in there as well it can only help ;)

I was thinking the same thing!

yes!!!

• The IAA support and deleting user samples I mentioned above has already gone live! :) I just didn't see it because I had the beta installed. It's been updated with IAA and user sample delete since March 1st. Sweet!

• me thinks it's time to buy

• @kobamoto said:
    me thinks it's time to buy

I would... While it's still only $2 :)

The dev says he's doing another bug fix this week.

One thing that tripped me up at first... When you're recording your sample, you hold the record button down for the duration of the recording. I kept hitting the record button waiting for it to arm, or flash or something. Just hold it Dow while you're recording. You'll see a faint glowing in the background while it's recording.

• This looks like fun. I've been following this feed and as soon as I saw it had IAA, I jumped. Then I found out my device (iPad3) isn't compatible because it can't update to iOS 10. Any chance Nodal could become backward compatible to iOS 9? I like what I've seen of this app & would love to incorporate it into my work flow.

• @Regulus said:
    This looks like fun. I've been following this feed and as soon as I saw it had IAA, I jumped. Then I found out my device (iPad3) isn't compatible because it can't update to iOS 10. Any chance Nodal could become backward compatible to iOS 9? I like what I've seen of this app & would love to incorporate it into my work flow.

Let me check all the dependencies, I had a prerelease version working on 9.

• That'd be sweet! Thanks.

• That would be sweet! Thanks.

• This app is a sleeping hidden gem. I bought it, but I'm also beta testing it. Getting some very interesting results.

• edited March 2017

Replied to an inquiry about this one. Figured I'd share:

Nodal, is interesting. You can chain up your own samples and it will use markov chains to somewhat randomly fire each off. You can add fx to each and adjust the levels of each. You can have one sample chained to one other sample, that's chained to multiple samples in any configuration you can imagine. Not really 100% "generative" because you do have some control. It's still slightly finicky but he's working on it. You can adjust the pitch of each sample and speed etc. You can end of with a huge mess easily. Or, you can create these weird rhythmic compositions that I don't think you can do with anything else.

I think it's a very good way to spend $2 :) •nodal• by Armen Karamian
    https://appsto.re/us/x7AUgb.i

FYI: as mentioned, I bought this but am also beta testing. And I can say the dev's got AudioShare import for samples working well in the beta. Not sure when it'll get sent to the AppStore, but I'd guess soon since I haven't seen another build in awhile :)

• Also, noticed the dev dropped a couple videos recently:

• @skiphunt - thanks for sharing those videos. I at least have a basic understanding now ... customizable, randomized sonic chaos - within certain parameters. And you can import your own samples? That's pretty grooved :sunglasses:

• @eustressor said:
    @skiphunt - thanks for sharing those videos. I at least have a basic understanding now ... customizable, randomized sonic chaos - within certain parameters. And you can import your own samples? That's pretty grooved :sunglasses:

In the current version, you can record in via mic or IAA. In the beta he's got AudioShare import working. Not sure when it'll be updated though. I would guess soon.

• This does look quite fun but can you do similar things with Sector?
    I guess you can't record in with that....

• @Carnbot said:
    This does look quite fun but can you do similar things with Sector?

Sector is great, but it > @skiphunt said:

@eustressor said:
    @skiphunt - thanks for sharing those videos. I at least have a basic understanding now ... customizable, randomized sonic chaos - within certain parameters. And you can import your own samples? That's pretty grooved :sunglasses:

In the current version, you can record in via mic or IAA. In the beta he's got AudioShare import working. Not sure when it'll be updated though. I would guess soon.

Finishing up testing this weekend. Hope to have it on the store Sunday or Monday.

• edited March 2017

Does it sync as an IAA instrument?

Are you planning to add Link? @TheNodalGuy

• @Carnbot said:

Sector is very cool, but it's a different kind of approach and the results are different. In Nodal, I start with one sound either from those included, recorded from the mic, recorded from IAAs within the app, or via AudioShare import (in beta but released soon). I adjust the pitch speed, then add a second sound to link to the first. I tweak how those to sounds interact together and somewhat randomly via markov chain algorithms. I tweak the second sound in relation to the first. Then add a third sound, etc. While they're all being triggered via markov algorithms, I adjust the kind of linking and where the links go, while adjusting in-app effects, pitch and speed of each component.

I've found that I can quickly get to some rhythmic weirdness that I don't think you can do with anything else.

Regarding the IAA sync, I just tried in AUM with Nodal and Sector loaded. They compliment each other very well. And, though it sounds like they're syncing, I don't think they are.

I like the app and bet that once a few more dig in and hear what you can do with this app, it'll really take off.for what it can do, I think it's underpriced. Its difficult to describe its rhythmic capabilities, but I'm obviously a fan. :)

• @skiphunt said:

@Carnbot said:

Sector is very cool, but it's a different kind of approach and the results are different. In Nodal, I start with one sound either from those included, recorded from the mic, recorded from IAAs within the app, or via AudioShare import (in beta but released soon). I adjust the pitch speed, then add a second sound to link to the first. I tweak how those to sounds interact together and somewhat randomly via markov chain algorithms. I tweak the second sound in relation to the first. Then add a third sound, etc. While they're all being triggered via markov algorithms, I adjust the kind of linking and where the links go, while adjusting in-app effects, pitch and speed of each component.

I've found that I can quickly get to some rhythmic weirdness that I don't think you can do with anything else.

Regarding the IAA sync, I just tried in AUM with Nodal and Sector loaded. They compliment each other very well. And, though it sounds like they're syncing, I don't think they are.

I like the app and bet that once a few more dig in and hear what you can do with this app, it'll really take off.for what it can do, I think it's underpriced. Its difficult to describe its rhythmic capabilities, but I'm obviously a fan. :)

Thanks, yes I did pick it up but not had much chance to play yet. It is very interesting though :)

It's currently not an IAA instrument but a generator so hopefully the dev might make it an IAA instrument so it can sync too or make it Link.

It would be good if you could save the scene. Is that possible?
    I'm not too certain of all the controls yet but seems like it could do with similar a action to ROTOR where if you swipe across the connection it breaks.
    Not sure what I'm doing wrong but seems like I can't play separate chains at the moment, just silence from my second chain. Might be a bug for me.

• @Carnbot said:

@skiphunt said:

@Carnbot said:

Thanks, yes I did pick it up but not had much chance to play yet. It is very interesting though :)

It's currently not an IAA instrument but a generator so hopefully the dev might make it an IAA instrument so it can sync too or make it Link.

It would be good if you could save the scene. Is that possible?
    I'm not too certain of all the controls yet but seems like it could do with similar a action to ROTOR where if you swipe across the connection it breaks.
    Not sure what I'm doing wrong but seems like I can't play separate chains at the moment, just silence from my second chain. Might be a bug for me.

First off, reach out to the dev. He's very approachable and committed.

Regarding connectivity between chains, agreed the Rotor swipe might be better. It's hard to double click on the chains without accidentally going to the node creation screen. The dev is aware of this and looking into adjusting the active touch area.

I don't think you can save a scene, but that's a good idea.

The dev has been reading up on some other stuff he wants to add and I think you'll ultimately be glad you got better bit. :)

One thing that through me off and I thought was a bug, but wasn't. I selected a sample that had a couple seconds of silence at the head. When activated as node, wasn't getting sound. Didn't realize until I turned on that switch, left of the infinity switch, that my node was only loping that first 2-3 seconds before and why I didn't hear anything. After I turned on that switch that plays the whole sample, I figured it out.

It's not perfect yet, but there's definitely something unique here already that's only going to get better I think.

• Looks like audio share import was added in the latest update! Great app

• So now I get the basic controls I like this, so hope it gets Link and some more intuitive controls for changing chains.

• scene saving :)
  • @not_elvis said:
    That's good to hear. I want to delete all my crappy samples. Maybe put some sort of folder system in place too?

Yes my Interiors Of Queensland Rail Trains Greatest Hits is getting a bit old.

Fun app though, I hope it get more love.

• I noticed the update is still needing iOS 10. Was it not working in 9? I'd still love to work with this, if it was working in 9.

• @Regulus said:
    I noticed the update is still needing iOS 10. Was it not working in 9? I'd still love to work with this, if it was working in 9.

The next update will be compatible with 9.3, hope to have it out soon.

• @Carnbot said:
    Does it sync as an IAA instrument?

Are you planning to add Link? @TheNodalGuy

No sync yet, I'll probably add that before LINK, which is on the list of must-have features.

• @TheNodalGuy said:

@Regulus said:
    I noticed the update is still needing iOS 10. Was it not working in 9? I'd still love to work with this, if it was working in 9.

The next update will be compatible with 9.3, hope to have it out soon.

Sweet. I'll keep my eyes out. Thanks for letting me know.

• Prediction: At some point, this app is gonna catch on like wild fire :)