Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Blocs Wave & LaunchPAD for iOS │ Project Export Tutorial - haQ attaQ 205

Novation and Blocs for iOS has done it once again. This time they've added seamless project export functionality to Blocs Wave and LaunchPAD. With both apps running the latest version we can now bring projects made inside Blocs Wave into LaunchPAD for iOS. Check this video for a full guide of how this works!

haQattaQ

Comments

• Another great video, I'm going to demo some of the new packs too

• My God this boy is quick!

• @Jocphone said:
    My God this boy is quick!

I think he be a shill for The Man, but Lord knows we need the explainernating..

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Jocphone said:
    My God this boy is quick!

I think he be a shill for The Man, but Lord knows we need the explainernating..

Let's hope he has a long spoon..

• @thesoundtestroom said:
    Another great video, I'm going to demo some of the new packs too

You'll find loads of good stuff in there man! =D

• Would be nice if they opened this up as an SDK for third party developers. Just like Ableton did with their Project Export SDK.

This would allow us to make apps that output loops directly into Launchpad. Although you can obviously now export into Blocs and then move those sounds into Launchpad.

• @brambos said:
    Would be nice if they opened this up as an SDK for third party developers. Just like Ableton did with their Project Export SDK.

This would allow us to make apps that output loops directly into Launchpad. Although you can obviously now export into Blocs and then move those sounds into Launchpad.

@blocsxnovation Please take note of @brambos ' suggestion. Being able to share audio easily and efficiently is key to the success of iOS as a platform for music production.

• @brambos said:
    Would be nice if they opened this up as an SDK for third party developers. Just like Ableton did with their Project Export SDK.

Now, that's an innovative idea that's a win/win/win for the dev/Novation/end user.

• @jakoB_haQ said:
    @Jocphone @JohnnyGoodyear :blush: You're killing me! :joy: :innocent:

For all our jesting, you're work is much appreciated and endlessly helpful

• @Jocphone I've always felt welcomed here in this forum. This community is amazing and I am so greatful for that! :blush:

• Wow. Great update and now I dont have to work it out. Thanks Jacob .... again. I guess Im thinking this might mean any launchpad loop can now be edited in blocswave. Hmm, love that seemless stuff.

• @Jocphone said:

@jakoB_haQ said:
    @Jocphone @JohnnyGoodyear :blush: You're killing me! :joy: :innocent:

For all our jesting, you're work is much appreciated and endlessly helpful

And endlessly appreciated and muchly helpful as well!

• Cool, very slick, thanks Jakob.

I have a dumb question though ... How do I delete the project in Launchpad? All I seem to get is "Edit In Blocs Wave" and if I delete the project there I'm left with it in Launchpad (and then no means to edit it).

It's probably a gesture I just haven't fumbled upon.

• @TheVimFuego When you open the project browsers in Laumchpad you'll find your Blocs project in there. You can swipe the name towards the left to get more options. You can also press the little penn icon in the upper right corner of that project browser and more options will pop up. Hope this helps! =D

• @Richtowns said:
    Wow. Great update and now I dont have to work it out. Thanks Jacob .... again. I guess Im thinking this might mean any launchpad loop can now be edited in blocswave. Hmm, love that seemless stuff.

Someone else asked me the same thing in a YouTube comment. I should have added that when you import a Blocs Wave project into Launchpad, you cannot add loops to that project from within Launchpad.

You have to do that In Blocs Wave. However back in January both Blocs Wave and LaunchPad was updated with "Sound pack Sharing", meaning any sound packs purchased in either app will be available in both.

So you can add sound pack sounds into your project in Blocs Wave before exporting the project to LaunchPAD.

• @jakoB_haQ thanks for the reply, when I hit the delete button all I get is the option to "Edit" for Blocs Wave projects, the "Delete" function is available for the Launchpad ones though.

And since I've deleted the project from Blocs Wave (I was just messing around with the import/export) I now seem to have a orphan project in Launchpad. No big deal but I do like to free up some space occasionally.

I may grab some soundpacks now, developments like this encourage me to throw money to devs for some reason. :)

• @jakoB_haQ said:

@Richtowns said:
    Wow. Great update and now I dont have to work it out. Thanks Jacob .... again. I guess Im thinking this might mean any launchpad loop can now be edited in blocswave. Hmm, love that seemless stuff.

Someone else asked me the same thing in a YouTube comment. I should have added that when you import a Blocs Wave project into Launchpad, you cannot add loops to that project from within Launchpad.

You have to do that In Blocs Wave. However back in January both Blocs Wave and LaunchPad was updated with "Sound pack Sharing", meaning any sound packs purchased in either app will be available in both.

So you can add sound pack sounds into your project in Blocs Wave before exporting the project to LaunchPAD.

Interesting that you can't add on in LP. Seems so obvious, must be something technical/problematic. Pity.

• I'm dumb, I was trying to delete a project that was open.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@jakoB_haQ said:

@Richtowns said:

Interesting that you can't add on in LP. Seems so obvious, must be something technical/problematic. Pity.

im guessing the reason for this is its still technically a blocs wave project that is open. they just added launchpad support to open said projects. it would also explain why the projects are saved in a different catagory. regardless. this is pretty much the functionality i always wanted since i can bake projects in different keys now for actual harmonic mixing. with two ipads and projects all across the spectrum in terms of keys you can do an actual dj set now.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

It really does add technical challenges, but interesting also pretty big philosophical user issues. This struck us about 6 months ago when we started with our 'Ecosystem' project, to bring our apps closer together for our users.

It might now be obvious why we added soundpack sharing, and audio import for iPhone. Sharing projects has huge dependancies on these two features.

So there you go, 6 months of dev, and we haven't really charged for any of these features (we'll maybe audio import for iPhone). It's a funny 'ol world the 'app' world. For all those on this forum who support the smaller indie developers, well done to you. It's a tough business.

• @blocsxnovation said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

It really does add technical challenges, but interesting also pretty big philosophical user issues. This struck us about 6 months ago when we started with our 'Ecosystem' project, to bring our apps closer together for our users.

It might now be obvious why we added soundpack sharing, and audio import for iPhone. Sharing projects has huge dependancies on these two features.

So there you go, 6 months of dev, and we haven't really charged for any of these features (we'll maybe audio import for iPhone). It's a funny 'ol world the 'app' world. For all those on this forum who support the smaller indie developers, well done to you. It's a tough business.

Personally I think the way it is now is spot on.....I'd rather start in the same place each time, as opposed to having to decide where to start, and then if I made the wrong choice have to go back and do stuff again.

Also retaining the app separation based on task at hand is great.. i.e blocs for building packs/launchpad for performing with them..... means that tools are presented to the user in context, and when adding say a new compositional tool such as transient detection or a compressor / parametric EQ combination for balancing sounds you can do it without needing to worry about the impact that would have on the performance app.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@blocsxnovation said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

Personally I think the way it is now is spot on.....I'd rather start in the same place each time, as opposed to having to decide where to start, and then if I made the wrong choice have to go back and do stuff again.

Also retaining the app separation based on task at hand is great.. i.e blocs for building packs/launchpad for performing with them..... means that tools are presented to the user in context, and when adding say a new compositional tool such as transient detection or a compressor / parametric EQ combination for balancing sounds you can do it without needing to worry about the impact that would have on the performance app.

Fair.

• edited February 2017

@papertiger said:

@brambos said:

@blocsxnovation Please take note of @brambos ' suggestion. Being able to share audio easily and efficiently is key to the success of iOS as a platform for music production.

Hubba yes please. Immediate thought is Loopy->Launchpad. Second is Gadget->Launchpad.

Nice work again, Mr. Haq. Thanks for this. Also, you have very nice fingernails. Just saying (as I look at the dirty, misshapen horrors at the ends of my fingers).

• @syrupcore said:

@papertiger said:

@brambos said:

Hubba yes please. Immediate thought is Loopy->Launchpad. Second is Gadget->Launchpad.

Nice work again, Mr. Haq. Thanks for this. Also, you have very nice fingernails. Just saying (as I look at the dirty, misshapen horrors at the ends of my fingers).

And this, Ladies and Gentlemen, is where it all began.....

• Can either BlocsWave or LaunchPad let you export loops of your own creation that can be used in other apps? I.e. can I make sliced loop and export it so that BeatHawk sees it as a loop?

• @jakoB_haQ said:
    @Jocphone I've always felt welcomed here in this forum. This community is amazing and I am so greatful for that! :blush:

We loves you Jacob

• @espiegel123 said:
    Can either BlocsWave or LaunchPad let you export loops of your own creation that can be used in other apps? I.e. can I make sliced loop and export it so that BeatHawk sees it as a loop?

Launchpad can export your own loops. It can export each loop independently. If you play the loop as slices and rearrange it Launchpad will render it to a new audio file.

That new audio file could be imported into any app that can import audio. I can’t vouch for BeatHawk as I’ve necer used it but if it can import audio then I can’t see an issue.

• @klownshed said:

@espiegel123 said:
    Can either BlocsWave or LaunchPad let you export loops of your own creation that can be used in other apps? I.e. can I make sliced loop and export it so that BeatHawk sees it as a loop?

Launchpad can export your own loops. It can export each loop independently. If you play the loop as slices and rearrange it Launchpad will render it to a new audio file.

That new audio file could be imported into any app that can import audio. I can’t vouch for BeatHawk as I’ve necer used it but if it can import audio then I can’t see an issue.

The question isnt whether Launchpad can export audio files but whether it exports the files with the tags that BeatHawk and similar apps use to recognize it as sliced looped audio (I.e. with embedded slice and loop markers and tempo info).

So far, the only iOS apps I know of that export that data when they export audio files are BeatMaker 2 and BeatMaker 3. So, I am curious as to whether BlocsWave or LaunchPad Pro export the data, too.