Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How do you all end your AB sessions?

Hi all,

I'm just curious what you all do when you're finished jamming with Audiobus. Do you force-quit ALL the apps that you used or is there another trick to saving your battery life?

The reason I ask is that whenever I'm finished using Audiobus, I'll invariably forget to close one or two apps and their background process will keep running, totally draining my iPad battery overnight. I have background activity turned off on all my apps, but AB overrides the setting (for obvious reasons). It's happened with Fugue Machine repeatedly, Model 15 occasionally, Animoog once, Patterning twice, and iM1 once, but it doesn't happen every time -- the background processes sometimes time out automatically, and I usually find that force closing only Audiobus works well enough. But the fact that it's not consistent makes me even angrier -- I'm sick of randomly waking up to a dead iPad. Given that most of you here use more apps than I do in more complicated routing configurations, I'm curious about this forum's common practices.

Ps: Sorry if this has been discussed before, I started searching but there are too many ways to ask this question so I gave up pretty quick.

How do you end your AB jam sessions?
  1. What do you do when it's time to do something else?24 votes
    1. Force quit everything
      91.67%
    2. Just return to home screen
        4.17%
    3. Just force quit Audiobus
        0.00%
    4. Something else
        4.17%

Comments

• Usually swipe everything shut, that said a few apps have a tendency to 'hang' & stay open somewhere in the background but are only visible via the red 'recording' bar at the top of the screen. Since iOS ditched the home/start button reset, it seems the only way to close hanging apps is a full shutdown & restart.

• I clear out all the apps from Audiobus, force quit them all, force quit Audiobus, then ... the main secret ... clear out all the ghost apps. This is done by returning to the home screen, holding down the power button until the power off slider shows, then press the home button until it I return to the home screen. This clears out everything without a reboot. This has worked consistently for me for a long time. I do it after every music session (Audiobus or not) and I believe is the reason I seem to have so many fewer problems than others seem to have.

• I usually end all my AB sessions angry and disappointed with myself.

• @Blipsford_Baubie said:
    I usually end all my AB sessions angry and disappointed with myself.

Was surprised not to see this option in the poll.

• Dreading the next day at work with only three hours sleep would have been a good option too.

• Ashamed and saying never again.

• Awww. This thread is making me sad now. So glad I have no ambition and can just relax and enjoy myself.

• Is something else = not using it anymore, is ok ?

• i end all my sessions by screaming "thank you!!! good night!!!!" if it is a particularly good session i burn my ipad.

• I always say : I should save this ,but f* it. Had great fun, tomorrow is another day....and force quit everything....

• I end it stunned and amazed at how ridiculously talented i am. Wondering if i can fend off all the womens panties that will be thrown my way, ( hoping there's nothing in those panties). How will i count the great piles of cash is another concern and still have time for the lines of women who wont me to make red hot sweet love to them down by the fire.

• Word on the street is you shouldn't force-quit apps (finger-swipe) as you could do some sort of damage to the system. iOS is smart enough to know that you're not using an app & won't supply it with resources after a certain point. As for what @Paul16 mentions about the red recording bar, I personally don't want it up there flashing at me when I'm done using AB, so swipe it goes.

But I have long gotten into the habit of swipe-closing apps in an effort to save battery life, but I never experienced trouble with my old iPhone 5.

• I don't even remember the last time I launched AB...
    IAA-Instruments and AUv3's work so well with Cubasis and AUM I don't see the real need.

• edited February 2017

@Samu said:
    I don't even remember the last time I launched AB...
    IAA-Instruments and AUv3's work so well with Cubasis and AUM I don't see the real need.

How dare you ! :D Could program change into Cubasis could finish fixing things for good ?...

• wim is correct.

• @Brain said:
    Word on the street is you shouldn't force-quit apps (finger-swipe) as you could do some sort of damage to the system.

I don't think it really does "damage" in any traditional sense, but it should only be necessary if an app hangs. That's a large part of why I've been so hot-and-cold with AB -- despite having a really elegant workflow with convenient app-switching capabilities, and despite being far better integrated into Olympia Noise and Korg's apps compared to IAA, it demands i change my mobile device usage habits. I haven't habitually swipe-closed apps since 2011. It's fine most of the time, but super inconvenient when I forget.

I was hoping for someone to say "I just changed this one setting and now everything times out like you'd expect," but I guess that swipe-quitting is just a reality of using AB. Oh well -- as @Samu mentioned, IAA works really quite well these days, and with the expanded integration between Logic and GB, plus Moog's above-average support for IAA, I've been having a grand old time with Animoog and Alchemy.

Maybe there will be an "end session" button in AB3?

• @wim said:
    This is done by returning to the home screen, holding down the power button until the power off slider shows, then press the home button until it I return to the home screen.

VERY interesting. I'm going to reinstall AB and try this out -- it seems to reset all app states without me manually removing them from the carousel, and it's easy enough to remember. The only downside is that non-music apps will also need to reload, but nonetheless, thanks @wim!

• @jrjulius said:

@Brain said:
    Word on the street is you shouldn't force-quit apps (finger-swipe) as you could do some sort of damage to the system.

I don't think it really does "damage" in any traditional sense, but it should only be necessary if an app hangs. That's a large part of why I've been so hot-and-cold with AB -- despite having a really elegant workflow with convenient app-switching capabilities, and despite being far better integrated into Olympia Noise and Korg's apps compared to IAA, it demands i change my mobile device usage habits. I haven't habitually swipe-closed apps since 2011. It's fine most of the time, but super inconvenient when I forget.

I was hoping for someone to say "I just changed this one setting and now everything times out like you'd expect," but I guess that swipe-quitting is just a reality of using AB. Oh well -- as @Samu mentioned, IAA works really quite well these days, and with the expanded integration between Logic and GB, plus Moog's above-average support for IAA, I've been having a grand old time with Animoog and Alchemy.

Maybe there will be an "end session" button in AB3?

I'm guessing that the apps not timing out would be more to do with background audio in the individual apps than to do with AB

• @AndyPlankton said:
    I'm guessing that the apps not timing out would be more to do with background audio in the individual apps than to do with AB

Yes, that's the issue. I have background audio disabled in all of my apps but AB overrides the setting. If I launch an app through AB and forget to kill the process manually when I'm done, it will sometimes run through the night and kill my battery. It doesn't happen unless I'm using AB. I was hoping that i was just missing a simple step but it looks like manual process-killing is the norm.

• @jrjulius said:

@AndyPlankton said:

Yes, that's the issue. I have background audio disabled in all of my apps but AB overrides the setting. If I launch an app through AB and forget to kill the process manually when I'm done, it will sometimes run through the night and kill my battery. It doesn't happen unless I'm using AB. I was hoping that i was just missing a simple step but it looks like manual process-killing is the norm.

Ahh I see.....I think most of us have gotten so used to force closing apps that we just do it without even thinking about it.
    If you have a complex setup with lots of apps involved the a power off - power on is probably quicker.

• Swiper here.

• @Samu said:
    IAA-Instruments and AUv3's work so well with Cubasis and AUM I don't see the real need!

• edited February 2017

@Samu said:

Totally. Things have evolved. I haven't opened AB in well over a year...Christmas 2015. That's not a knock, just the reality that iOS and IAA/AU have evolved since the original heroic efforts of Audiobus. Nowadays, it's just too cumbersome to even think about dealing with. I'm happy it's unnecessary while staying forever grateful for the bridge it provided.

• I can imagine going Audiobus free for poking around and home and production stuff (Auria et al.), but for live performance I can't even begin to contemplate using a setup without Audiobus. State Saving (only consistent and reliable way to save and reboot) + AUDIOBUS REMOTE (fast app switching).

• I end my sessions with a nice glass of wine and a pop-tart

• @NoiseHorse said:
    I end my sessions with a nice glass of wine and a pop-tart

Brown sugar cinnamon?

• @OscarSouth said:
    I can imagine going Audiobus free for poking around and home and production stuff (Auria et al.), but for live performance I can't even begin to contemplate using a setup without Audiobus

To me it's the exact opposite ! State saving for a one shot project is easier.

State Saving (only consistent and reliable way to save and reboot)

There are program change, it does the exact same thing, faster.

AUDIOBUS REMOTE (fast app switching).

True on that one, personally I prefer to use midi controllers, but can still be useful.

• Oh yeah for closing the session, I usually save in AUM, clear AUM, save in AB, swipe away all, clear memory trick. Always worked for me and ensures the most stable degree of state save and reboot.

@crony I'm curious what you mean about program change, I thought that was just a preset switcher for certain apps that were compatible.

I've actually never found a use for it personally in iOS, can you describe how you use it yourself?

• @OscarSouth you may indeed change preset with PC. You may also save that PC into your DAW, for instance Modstep (it's not very user friendly, and it crash a lot atm) then you just have to set that on your first loop, then all your sounds are in place...
    I've done that with my mininova + modstep. I have problems with Model 15. But as I said, I think now it's mostly relate to Modstep.
    I keep digging, going to test all synths (but also effects, if that's available !) that are compatible. and I own...