Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What's the best guitar chord finder app?

edited August 2013 in General App Discussion

All right my app junky brothers and sisters, I need you to save me from the 500 different "ZOMG GEETAR CHORDZ 4000!" apps on the store.

I recently purchased Chordbot to get me out of my too comfortable comfort zone on guitar. A good time and I've come up with some stuff I like using chords I've never even heard of. Now that I have some structures worked out there are a few of them I'd like to play on my guitar. Thing is, I haven't the slightest idea how to play/voice a lot of these. I'd have to work them out on a keyboard and then hunt and peck to put them together on guitar!

I'd like these features:

• Easily find chords. Something like Chordbot would be great instead of a decision tree style. I don't want to pick a key, then minor, then 7ths...

• Show me a few different ways to voice each chord across the neck

• Allow for more than one chord at once, ala charts.

Less important but would be awesome:

• load a midi file and do magic automatically and be a god damned computer so I can live my life of leisure
  • find the 'best'/easiest way to voice a set of chords so that I might be able to pull it off! Meaning if I go with the first chord near the 4th fret, the next shouldn't be at the 12th.
  • suggest alternate tunings
  • store chord sets as songs
  • ukulele and piano, just cause
  • universal app
  • dishes and/or oral

I have a feeling the answer to my quest lies within the 240 post 'favorite theory apps' thread but, um, yeah. Thanks for any thoughts/suggestions.

Comments

• I like Chordbank Pro. It also gives you suggested chord progressions.

• edited August 2013

Also Stringmaster. It has a songwriter function and other stringed instruments.

• Thanks @mgmg4871. Checking them out now. I almost started this post with "Dear Morris,". ;)

• Don't get PaulB started. Lol

• Haha^ Morris should know.

If you do find that app let me know...forget the dishes!

I too think Chordbank might have the interface you're after, if not all the features.

I use Guitar toolkit, but that's mainly for reverse finding chords, which its great at. It is more of a 'dial in' route, but it does have some of what you're after, Great Swiss army guitar knife though it would have been sweeter at its last sale price a month or 2 ago.

If I have a brain flash, I'll post it here.

• edited August 2013

Yes, I have that one also. What I really like about Guitar Toolkit is the chord sheet function. It also has a drum machine and 60 AmpKit effects with upgrade. Good call @ SopokyZoo. Oh, did I mention the 2million chords.

• Double plus plus for StringMaster.

• @TedBPHx I was so involved with Chordbank I forgot about some of the features in StringMaster. Opened it up this evening though. Awesome app.

• edited August 2013

Hey @Syrupcore How about this?
    https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/progression/id424281020?mt=8

Got me thinking and made me buy it to see if it's possible to export midi files from Chordbot and get it to show on Progrssions fretboard the position of chosen chords.

Reason being, is that Chordbot automatically chooses smart chord positions for it's progressions (one of your wishlist items).

So you could use Chordbot as the 'chooser' and Progression as the 'viewer'

Maybe....I'll let you know soon.

• I don't have Progression....yet, so I'd be interested in hearing any feedback on it.

• It does work. I've just been scouring the store to find other apps that would display a midi file's info onto a guitar neck... but without success. Anyone? (I feel a Midi Designer layout session approaching) :)

So yeah, it does work, but with conditions. You have to make sure the Chordbot file uses guitar not piano. A strum pattern so chord will be viewable, and also it doesn't appear that the guitar progressions in Chordbot are as 'smart' as it's piano versions.

The workflow just feels a bit buggy and a hack that takes effort.

Can't comment on other features of Progression app as I haven't delved into them yet. I get the feeling it will struggle to make the average 11 uses though! :)

• Guitar Toolkit is the best out there.Look no further :)

• No luck here in finding an app that takes midi in and shows guitar chords. I don't believe Guitar Toolkit does either, but other than that, it is a great app.

• @SpookyZoo Look into Symphonix Evolution. I don't have it loaded on my ipad now, but if I recall it accepts midi files and does have a fretboard view.

• So funny...that was my first instinct last night. I was trying to find it, but then switched to try others. Was gonna try again tonight. Cheers. :)

• Thanks so much @spookyzoo for going the extra mile!

I was checking out Guitar Chord Pro
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/guitar-chord-pro-songwriter/id554498472?mt=8 from the makers of Easy Beats. They have a free+IAP version and a 'platinum' version for $19.99. Looks pretty promising. Doesn't let you load midi but will let you set up a song, easily switch chord voicing and play it back with a full screen fretboard. Thing is, you can't edit the chords in the free version and I don't want to drop $20 to be sad. Anyone else use this?

iTunes shows a 2.99 IAP for chord editing but hell if I can find it in the app. I'd just go for it.

• edited August 2013

@Syrupcore ...no worries.

Guitar Chord Pro is another one I considered highlighting to you, but.... I dunno. I hadn't used it enough to pass judgement. What I did remember about it was that I wasn't so keen on its sounds, and the strum styles seemed a bit anaemic. Although there is a thorough feature where you can edit your own strum pattern.

As far as I can tell, the midi is real time. It won't let you record and export any midi file. It exports wav via audiocopy, (but you wouldn't). I also couldn't find the individual edit IAP's, looks like they may have been superceded by the one big IAP when the price went up.

I don't wanna sabotage a possible sale for any developer but I just couldn't advise it to you at this price. It's a nice enough app...put it on your watch list for future sales. (it does have the nice feature of choosing a neck position and your chords will be based around there and finger positions shown in a little red diagram on the left. Kinda one of your wishlist ticks.

To be honest, Guitar Toolkit, won't send out midi info, but it's UI for finding chords (or anything) and their positions...I think you'll like it.

It's my goto app for guitar chord stuff in the same way that Octavian is my piano goto.

Hope you make a happy decision! :)

@mgmg4871 Found the guitar neck in Symphonix Evolution. The neck displays quite nicely the chord info from a midi file. Midi from Chordbot seems to default to drums even for files without drums...though this is easily changed to piano/guitar sound via the track and program tabs.

@funjunkie27 Just had another quick dabble on Progression....it seems like it could be kinda fun writing your own tabs and solos. Comes free with acoustic and electric guitar with bass on sign up. Trying to get the tab into other apps at the mo, but looking like just midi, XML or .notion files.

• thanks again @spookyzoo

• Thanks for the insight @SpookyZoo. I'm still holding off for now though. It's part of my self discipline regimen I'm forcing myself into, as part of my 12 step progra.....never mind, just got it. Back to step one! ;-)

• edited August 2013

Lol. @funjunkie You really hung in there.

• Progression is made by the same Dev that made Notion. Notion is the big brother and I mean big, about 1.2 gig. Great app though. The audio samples are performed by the London Symphony Orchestra.

• Man...I'd been looking at Notion. Sounds interesting, but since I caved with Progression, I'm feeling the guilt even worse now. My kids will have to wait until next month for shoes now ;-)

• @funjunkie27 - Food? My family ain't ate in a month! Haha (PSA: yes I know ain't ain't a word)

• It's in the dictionary.

• Not a fan boi and maybe its off topic,but,with the iap....pearl guitar gives you a midi file along with any wave file you record.
    You then press the open button to get it to open in cubasis,audioshare ect.
    You can create any chord yourself or goto somewhere like

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/j/jimi_hendrix/little_wing_crd.htm

(Or get the app) and just punch in the chords.

It also shows you the fingering for your chords.

• @mgmg4871 - I'll start using ain't more now then. Did you notice if ya'll was there too?

@commonstookie - Pearl can open a midi file...or just output one?

• edited August 2013

Can open one also @funjunkie27

By open I mean...press record...play your thang....goto file management and you'll see 2 versions of the file..a wav and a midi...select the midi file and press open.

So,no,I don't think you can import a midi file into it but you'd need to check with the dev.

Edit...something we could ask Amidio to add??

• Yeah, I'm referring to the latter approach. It would be good to have the ability to import.

• @funjunkie I love the example sentences used for ain't, and yes yall is in Websters. I think yall Georgians had something to do with it. Oh, and sorry for hijacking this thread. I know this ain't music related.
    Definition of AIN'T

am not : are not : is not
    have not : has not
    do not : does not : did not —used in some varieties of Black English
    Usage Discussion of AIN'T

Although widely disapproved as nonstandard and more common in the habitual speech of the less educated, ain't in senses 1 and 2 is flourishing in American English. It is used in both speech and writing to catch attention and to gain emphasis . It is used especially in journalistic prose as part of a consistently informal style . This informal ain't is commonly distinguished from habitual ain't by its frequent occurrence in fixed constructions and phrases . In fiction ain't is used for purposes of characterization; in familiar correspondence it tends to be the mark of a warm personal friendship. It is also used for metrical reasons in popular songs <Ain't She Sweet> <It Ain't Necessarily So>. Our evidence shows British use to be much the same as American.
    Examples of AIN'T

It's a free country, ain't it?
    Those people ain't got a clue.
    Her husband left and she ain't never been the same.

• Indeed..I fink @syrupcores original request was to get it out of??not into,but I ain't sure.??