Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

i WAS thinking i'm giving up on the iconnectaudio4+, then i wasn't, now i did

it's more on me, can't really fault the product, it supposedly does what it says it does but it's way over my head without really RTFM ...at the end of the day i prefer a more mobile setup and have been out of my studio as much as possible, which is why i don't really spend enough time with the audio4 to learn it. i'm good with stereo so will be trying out the apogee one, any users?

Comments

• Its a pity really. once you get the hang of it rewiring on the fly takes no time at all.
    personally can't see myself not using it. did you watch the tutorial videos ?
    if you need some help with a specific issue i could always help you out.

• They have fantastic support, I've emailed them a few times trying to get complicated stuff going and they always reply with solution

• @mireko_2 said:
    They have fantastic support, I've emailed them a few times trying to get complicated stuff going and they always reply with solution

pretty much this. tell them exactly what you're trying to do and they will tell you exactly how to set it up.

• The newest iConnect midi audio4?

• @RustiK said:
    The newest iConnect midi audio4?

It's just called the iconnectaudio4+ but yes. It does midi as well. And is the latest 4 channel unit they have.

• It's just one of those. Often the great implementation comes with a steep learning curve. If you can get the features you're looking for in other equipment that seems easier to use then you should switch. Life is too short for tweaking, especially if it takes you away from the main objective.

Unless fiddling with settings is your main objective which doesn't seem it is.

• edited February 2017

@supadom said:
    It's just one of those. Often the great implementation comes with a steep learning curve. If you can get the features you're looking for in other equipment that seems easier to use then you should switch. Life is too short for tweaking, especially if it takes you away from the main objective.

Unless fiddling with settings is your main objective which doesn't seem it is.

thing is though. once you get your default profile setup and saved you might never have to change it. i just load 3 presets i created depending on my use case. There is not much fiddling unless its some random complicated experiment i want to try like feedback audio loops etc.

@vpich do you want my preset files ? just tell me the use case and i can post it here.

• edited February 2017

No midi I/O on Apogee one...Doesn't that bother you ? I guess you can add a usb hub, then connect your controllers or midi interface.
    Apogee makes great products, but I've never heard them, so can't tell the difference with an ICA4+ (which I believe is great value for the money, but a bit more complicated to get ) or compared to a Roland Duo Capture EX, which is also very portable (and affordable)solution...

• Can totally understand it, does take a long time to get the best out if it. The software is not very user friendly. They know it and are working to improve it. The iOS iconfig especially needs an update.

• >

@vpich do you want my preset files ? just tell me the use case and i can post it here.

Hey sure, might as well try it. Thanks. I mean i should be able to figure it out, learned how to use the octatrack before deciding it wasn't for me.....and that's a steep learning curve. But at 42 my brain likes tonkick back more than it used to.

Here are the 2 main scenarios i would like:

A. Ableton in my mac as the destination recording 4 analog inputs as well as 2 or more apps from my ipad and one from my phone. Last night i got as far as getting the analog and a full digital stereo in from my ipad, but i couldn't separate the ipad instruments. They were all comin in on 5-6. Briefly tried separating the ipad outputs with aum but i was tired and it wasn't working. want this setup to catch live jams with video and then be able to mix the audio better. Main live jam apps are gadget, model 15, troublemaker. I would prefer having one of these apps running on the phone. Lately that has been gadget since i use the nanonkeystudio to control it and don't need to touch it as much. Getting the kontrol studio.

B. The same but replacing my phone as an fx procesor in ableton. To have it come up as an aux fx and be able to run stuff through holderness media as an example. An offshoot of this is that i would also like to run my guitar through bias on my phone into ableton but if this mucks it up perfectly happy to keep micing my amp.

C. No laptop. Auria pro is the destination. Just my phone and my ipad. i'm ok routing the ipad instruments into auria, just need help getting the 4 analog tracks in and 1-2 iphone apps in.

• @crony said:
    No midi I/O on Apogee one...Doesn't that bother you ? I guess you can add a usb hub, then connect your controllers or midi interface.
    Apogee makes great products, but I've never heard them, so can't tell the difference with an ICA4+ (which I believe is great value for the money, but a bit more complicated to get ) or compared to a Roland Duo Capture EX, which is also very portable (and affordable)solution...

Yeah i know. Midi would be lost, but all my current external gear is usb. Only issue is that my 88
    Key controller, which is my preferred piano player, does not have usb. I could pick up a cheap attachment for that. Other than flexing my muscles with super specific setups the apogee does seem like a better fit because i spend 85% of my music making time out of the studio now and i play acoustic instruments like the guitar and uke and i sing, plus i normally play my ipad together with my op-1 and have been splitting them together but it would like to route the ipad into loopy for example. And portability matters.

• @Carnbot said:
    Can totally understand it, does take a long time to get the best out if it. The software is not very user friendly. They know it and are working to improve it. The iOS iconfig especially needs an update.

This is my main issue. I'm a fan of the hardware--sounds good and the features per price is excellent. But that config app made me return the unit. As supadom says, life is short and I want to make music in the limited time I do have.

• @vpich said:

>

Hey sure, might as well try it. Thanks. I mean i should be able to figure it out, learned how to use the octatrack before deciding it wasn't for me.....and that's a steep learning curve. But at 42 my brain likes tonkick back more than it used to.

Here are the 2 main scenarios i would like:

A. Ableton in my mac as the destination recording 4 analog inputs as well as 2 or more apps from my ipad and one from my phone. Last night i got as far as getting the analog and a full digital stereo in from my ipad, but i couldn't separate the ipad instruments. They were all comin in on 5-6. Briefly tried separating the ipad outputs with aum but i was tired and it wasn't working. want this setup to catch live jams with video and then be able to mix the audio better. Main live jam apps are gadget, model 15, troublemaker. I would prefer having one of these apps running on the phone. Lately that has been gadget since i use the nanonkeystudio to control it and don't need to touch it as much. Getting the kontrol studio.

B. The same but replacing my phone as an fx procesor in ableton. To have it come up as an aux fx and be able to run stuff through holderness media as an example. An offshoot of this is that i would also like to run my guitar through bias on my phone into ableton but if this mucks it up perfectly happy to keep micing my amp.

C. No laptop. Auria pro is the destination. Just my phone and my ipad. i'm ok routing the ipad instruments into auria, just need help getting the 4 analog tracks in and 1-2 iphone apps in.

A) That pretty much sounds like one of my default setups. I have 4 analog inputs and 3 stereo pairs from my ipad all routed into ableton. works perfectly fine.

C) pretty much the same as A. just swap the laptop with the ipads socket and plug in the iphone where the Ipad is usually plugged in. will still give you 4 inputs, 3 stereo pairs from the iphone into the ipad.

for B ) i can make both devices have access to the analog inputs. so you can mix and match which device is processing the inputs. like. make it so input 1->iphone->output to Ableton.

• @5pinlink said:
    Did they get this working with later IOS versions, been waiting to get one until then.

Works fine with iOS 10.X and with Sierra. The problem was with iOS 9.X-9.2 and Earlier Yosemite. Was fixed by Apple some time back. The issue was with dueling audio clock masters. Apple messed that up but, as I say, fixed it. There had been an issue noted about using network MIDI but that doesn't affect most people using the iCA4+ (or other iC products).

• i made a preset if anyone wants it:-

how this is setup is. whatever is plugged into the "ipad' port (the 2.1a charging one).
    has access to analog inputs 1-2-3-4. but can only output on channels 5-6-7-8-9-10.
    on the pc inputs 1-2-3-4 are the analog inputs meanwhile 5-6-7-8-9-10 are the audio streams from the ipad. the pc outputs to channels 1-2-3-4 with headphones as 5-6.

use the pc app to load the preset. then go to device=>save current settings to write it permanently to the soundcard so that you dont have to redo this every time.

• This is great. Gonna try now !

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

how this is setup is. whatever is plugged into the "ipad' port (the 2.1a charging one).
    has access to analog inputs 1-2-3-4. but can only output on channels 5-6-7-8-9-10.
    on the pc inputs 1-2-3-4 are the analog inputs meanwhile 5-6-7-8-9-10 are the audio streams from the ipad. the pc outputs to channels 1-2-3-4 with headphones as 5-6.

How do you split the individual app audio outs? Say gadget into 5-6, model 15 into 7, etc. Aum? Audiobus?

• Both apps are doing that.

• @vpich said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

How do you split the individual app audio outs? Say gadget into 5-6, model 15 into 7, etc. Aum? Audiobus?

in aum. send gadget to iconnectaudio4+ port 5-6. send model 15 to iconnectaudio4+ port 7.
    you need to route using aum. or even audiobus. just send each app to the "physical" outputs being 5-6. 7-8. or even mono 5. mono7. etc.

• Awesome. Thanks dude!!

• @vpich said:
    Awesome. Thanks dude!!

you're welcome :)

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@vpich said:
    Awesome. Thanks dude!!

preset won't seem to work for me, maybe since done on a pc and i'm on mac, but i'm manually matching your route picture. anything in the background that needs to be done?

• also, i see that you deleted the ipad mixer. where and how?

• @vpich said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@vpich said:
    Awesome. Thanks dude!!

preset won't seem to work for me, maybe since done on a pc and i'm on mac, but i'm manually matching your route picture. anything in the background that needs to be done?

here you go:-

• @5pinlink said:
    Did they get this working with later IOS versions, been waiting to get one until then.

Do you want to connect 2 iPads ? Or 2 devices (iPad / Pc) at the same time ?
    What for ?
    If not, I would suggest something else.
    To this day, they still have some little bugs quite boring.
    Until they fix them...Hopefully...But they're quite slow to release new firmware or to communicate with transparency...
    But still good...Depends of your needs, really.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@vpich said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@vpich said:
    Awesome. Thanks dude!!

here you go:-

any chance i can bug you for pics of the mixer sections?

• disregard, my dumb ass had ipad in mac slot. seems to be setup now, testing now. next song is dedicated to @gonekrazy3000

• @vpich said:
    disregard, my dumb ass had ipad in mac slot. seems to be setup now, testing now. next song is dedicated to @gonekrazy3000

i look forward to hearing it :D

• i spent a few nights learning the routing software and it is really logical once you clear the slate and build it up. i also let aum do the heavy lifting in my phone or ipad.

• edited February 2017

@5pinlink hmm, it works almost fine, even on 10.2, except bugs that seems to include Apple in the loop.
    The app is completely useless to me, and the main software on Mac/Pc, is not very user friendly, the release of new firmware are sloooooooow, very true.
    But this avoid to buy a an additional sound card, free some channels, and also free a midi connection, simplify midi connection to the max, and preamps are good...So...