Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Online Recording Courses/Tutorial

Anyone got any recommendations? Looking for info in particular on mixing, EQ, use of compression and effects. Paid or unpaid.

Comments

• I personally have gotten quite a bit from the recordingrevolution on YouTube. I believe the guy has some more in depth stuff on his website for purchase, but tons of really helpful info on YouTube alone. Specifically for me was understanding how compression and eq work in mixing, getting everything to have its place.

• I have some free mixing and effects guides here: http://innerportalstudio.com/guides/

• @rickwaugh said:
    Anyone got any recommendations? Looking for info in particular on mixing, EQ, use of compression and effects. Paid or unpaid.

I know nothing (so the starting point was low on the pole) but I learned something about all of those subjects from watching the FabFilter tutes...

• This is by far the best resource I've found:

The Producer's Manual

Check it out, it's excellent.

• @rickwaugh said:
    Online Recording Courses/Tutorial

You might have better luck instead of looking for 'recording' help, search for 'mastering' or 'audio editing' or 'sound design'.

• @richardyot said:
    This is by far the best resource I've found:

The Producer's Manual

Are the videos logic 9 or X ?

• I thought the Technology of Music Production course over at Coursera was good. I believe the course material is available free if you're not interested in grading etc.

https://www.coursera.org/learn/technology-of-music-production

• @BiancaNeve said:

@richardyot said:

The Producer's Manual

No idea, I don't use Logic so I wouldn't know. But it's not software specific, the content can be applied to any DAW.

• @richardyot said:

The Producer's Manual

I have it and agree with you. It is a great resource. Lot's of info about recording.

• @BiancaNeve said:

@richardyot said:

The Producer's Manual

Here's a line from the description:

The videos, performed in Logic X, use a range of plugins but the techniques are applicable across DAWs.

• @Tarekith said:
    I have some free mixing and effects guides here: http://innerportalstudio.com/guides/

thanks!

• This playlist is worth going through, quite in depth, but you can focus on the sections that interest you as there is quite a lot of video to plough thru.

Also found this guys videos to be very helpful, above is the playlist for his mix tricks series, well worth checking out some of his other playlists too, loads of info, maybe a bit too much to take in at once, but I find it a good resource to go back too.

• I like Bobby Owsinski's stuff. He has courses on Lynda.com, some videos on YouTube, and other content he sells directly.

He also recently updated The Mixing Engineer’s Handbook -- now in its 4th edition.

• Thanks, guys. @richardyot, that does look good. Sound on Sound is a great mag for learning about recording, and $20 Canadian is not a lot of money, compared to courses. I picked up one book a while ago, "Modern Recording Techniques", which is decent, but it's just not working for me from a point of view of focusing on what I need.

I'll check out some of the videos above too. Thanks agaon.

• So I asked the dev about The Producers Manual. They are not going to update it to 64 bit, so some time in the not too distant future, after some iOS upgrade, it will not work anymore. I'm surprised I was able to buy it, actually. I've been enjoying it, but I might ask for a refund now. Really too bad.

• @rickwaugh said:
    So I asked the dev about The Producers Manual. They are not going to update it to 64 bit, so some time in the not too distant future, after some iOS upgrade, it will not work anymore. I'm surprised I was able to buy it, actually. I've been enjoying it, but I might ask for a refund now. Really too bad.

That's a shame, it's a great book and app.

Just goes to show that Apple's ruthlessness is pretty dumb.

• Hey, @rickwaugh!

Mike Senior's "Mixing Secrets For The Small Studio" seems to be what you're looking for. Also, Rick Snowman's "Dance Music Manual" teaches really a lot about mixing and the appropriate treatment of sampled and synth instruments, so it's worthy as a supplementary reading, after you finish reading Mike Senior's book.

All the best!

• I would second Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio.

• @theconnactic, that looks good, I think I'll try that.