Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

IrCam The Snail - Audio analysis and tuning for iPhone

The Snail by IrcamLab
https://appsto.re/dk/SBn4gb.i
Thought this one might be of interest for someone around here. I will certainly give a spin.

Comments

• what is it for?

• Saw a presentarion from NAMMw where it was used for tonal analysis of music, but I don't know much yet. Here's a post from Sonic State:
    http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2017/02/15/the-snail-for-windows-and-ios/

• It's a tuner, mainly for your guitar, but this one is universal, more to analyse the note of any sound.
    Ircam is a great institution, they've produced top plugins, glad to see they're working also on IOS now !

• I see, thanks!

• The Snail

The Snail is a very high-precision frequency-domain analyzer that delivers an easy to understand representation of sounds based on the scales and notes aligned in spectrally active zones.

It offers a new way of tuning and analyzing an instrument in an extremely accurate way, displaying intonation and visualizing music and sounds in a way that can help anyone improve their listening and innotation!

Think of a film camera turning at 24 frames per second filming a bicycle wheel turning at 24 revolutions a second, the spokes will appear to be standing still. That means, for a Fourier analysis of frequency at 439Hz compared to a tuning reference of 440Hz, the demodulated phase will turn at 1Hz (as a slightly desynchronised stroboscope makes a rotating object have a slow movement). Think of audio signals ’beating’ as there is a interference between two sounds at slightly different frequencies.

Compared to standard spectrum analyzers based on Fourier-type analysis, the frequency accuracy is enhanced by a process based on the demodulated phase. This system is based on a recent patented technology, conceived at the laboratory of Science and Technology of Music and Sound IRCAM-CNRS-UPMC.

• edited June 2020

I bought The snail to tune my guitar. But I don’t understand how it works. Shouldn’t there be a E to tune too?

The documentation I found on their website is for the pc version and very poorly done.

Anybody knows how it works?

• edited June 2020

taken from gearslutz; There is a rotating hexagon that spins with respect to the phase of your string sound versus the tuning frequency (which automatically adjusts to whatever note you are tuning). You can use that for intonation by making the hexagon rotate (or ideally not move) in the same direction at the same speed for the fretted 12th fret versus the harmonic at that fret“”

btw would be cool to have more irCam stuff on ios...everything they do=top notch

• There is a problem with the app. On the screen shot included on the App Store when D is selected the grid goes to D. Mine does not even if I change it in the settings. Also somebody said in the comments it’s broken.

• Wow, free with no IAPs... imagine that!