Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Concentric Rhythm Jeff Holtzkener

Comments

• Thanks for the update @JeffH Please also consider Audiobus 3 midi compatibilty so you could have multiple lanes sending midi :)

I'm finding it's one of those apps which drops out of audiobus when I'm connected to my audio interface though (iConnectAudio)

• I Love reslice with this Kind of Apps , thx @JeffH

• edited April 2017

This was my secret hidden app. I am "happy" that you all know about this now.
    And gladly will drop the $4.99!

EDIT: Ha. Actually, it was another semi-forgotten app that shall remain secret and hidden! But this looks great.

• I've had a blast playing with Concentric stand alone. Great for polyrhythmic madness (5 against 4, 7 against 6 against 4...you name it!) Will purchase MIDI out immediately, which should take this thing to the next level, although some of the internal sounds are quite good as well.

• Congrats Mister Jeff. Keep at it. Hope song mode (in some form) is fighting its way up the list....!

• midi out, and how well it's been implemented here... really put this one over the fence for me. Lots of potential in this one :)

• Hmmm, IAA doesn't seem to work in Cubasis (was hoping for sync and transport controls) but I suppose I can just record midi in and line the results up by hand.

• Does this have any way to sync at all? Don't seem to see any way to get or send midi clock....

• I can't find any sync options either not even AB transport controls :(

• People only tend to mention Link or MIDI clock sync methods, but IAA sync is also a fantastic option. I actually think that the sync behaviour of IAA sync apps is preferable to that of Link, but just loses out to the universality of Link.

• I'm getting a fair bit of crashing when in AB3

• this app is really cool. digging deeper into it now. really excited it's universal

• Oh, this is pretty cool. I love all the permutation options.

Things that would make it better. Better interface for changing note values. And chords!

• @cian said:
    Oh, this is pretty cool. I love all the permutation options.

Things that would make it better. Better interface for changing note values. And chords!

I think I like the way note changing is done. For chords I make a copy and transpose using global note change.

• Imported samples need to be stereo or they don't make any sound.

• @wim
    I think you might have solved a small mystery for me. A few people noted problems with their imported samples, but I couldn't reproduce it. I think you might tracked down the problem! I'll fix that in the next update.

• This is just way too fun. Would love to see midi export as an Ableton Live set as a future development to make it easier to use all of these melodic and percussive gems that are so easy to create!

• thanks for the update and for MIDI output.

• I just bought the MIDI out IAP. After a bit of experimenting what I seem to have found is that Gadget crashes Concentric.
    At first I thought it (Concentric) was just not going to stay open at all. I set up several different input channels on Gadget, with the obvious idea of sending MIDI from each circle to a different channel in Gadget, and Concentric just kept crashing before I could even start.
    I tried this on my iPhone and iPad, with same results.
    Then to check I tried it with a few other apps: Redshrike, iMini and TF7. And actually it worked fine with them, which was good news.
    But then I thought I'd have another go with Gadget and as soon as I opened it again and then went back to Concentric, the latter crashed - which seems weird, as well as a shame.

Just wondered if anyone has any idea about why that might be? Better still, if anyone has any ideas about solving it?

Thanks.... :#

• @richiehoop said:

+Another from me in case the developer sees this thread.

His other app, Langton's Ant, https://appsto.re/pt/ljYeeb.i would also have great potential if it had Link and Midi Out.

I'm a bit confused by this. I downloaded it and on the app store it says "- map ant direction to MIDI voices or drum samples to hear the interaction of chaos, reflection, symmetry, periodicity as music."

But @richiehoop implies there's no MIDI out, and sure enough I can't find any way to channel MIDI out from Langton's Ant. But if not, what does " map ant direction to MIDI voices or drum samples" mean?

• @Tim
    Another person posted elsewhere that they had been having serious crash issues specifically with Gadget. It's strange because I know many others have been using it. But clearly there is some issue here that I'll look into.

And yeah, my Langton's Ant app doesn't have any MIDI output. It uses 'MIDI voices' in the sense that under the hood MIDI messages are being called for iOS's MIDI sampler (playing a soundfont file, or internally loaded drum samples). Honestly, I wouldn't have guessed that that app would've had any interest to musicians. I'm personally fascinated with musical sonifications of pretty much anything, and included the musical part of the app out of 'scientific curiosity'. But there is no underlying sequencer holding the timing together, which isn't apparent visually, but becomes really clear aurally if you push it even a little out of its comfort zone. The musical part is effectively tacked onto a structure that wasn't intended for music level reliability.
    Anyway, if I get to working on that app again, I might look into driving it with a music sequencer. But it would be a major change, and possibly not worth the effort.

• @JeffH I'd certainly be interested in the Langton's Ant app if you do develop it further.

Here is another interesting experimental implementation of the Langton's Ant algorithm for musical purposes:

• @richiehoop
    That is very cool. Thanks for linking that!

• @JeffH Re L. Ants: Oh ok, thanks. Fair enough! Would be cool to be able to midi out but oh well too bad. Unless any of the other tech whizzes here have some smart workaround...

And re Concentric & Gadget, interesting to know that I'm not the only one, and tantalising that some people are not having this problem. Again, if anyone can get to the bottom of what that's all about, especially with a solution, I'd love to hear :-)

• @JeffH - I really like your Langton's Ant app! It reminds me of an app called Quincy, in case you haven't seen that:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=vPaXZHmuKH4

• How is this app, and the use of, progressing?

• very cool dude~

• @JeffH still waiting for updates buddy.
    hope this hasn't been abandoned :(

• Not abandoned! But a little stalled maybe. I started re-writing significant parts to make sure everything would work smoothly for the update, and the more I re-write, the more I realize I should be re-writing. Needless to say, it's taking a lot longer than expected (and still has a ways to go) - but I'm still working away at it.

• @JeffH said:
    Not abandoned! But a little stalled maybe. I started re-writing significant parts to make sure everything would work smoothly for the update, and the more I re-write, the more I realize I should be re-writing. Needless to say, it's taking a lot longer than expected (and still has a ways to go) - but I'm still working away at it.

Thank you for giving us hope!
    :)