Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Concentric Rhythm Jeff Holtzkener

Comments

• Wrote also and heard back. Seemed a little hesitant (for reasons) as regards landscape, but was perfectly nice and said he would take another look. Here's his very reasonable response:

I did experiment a bit with landscape and I felt like it didn't really work well (screen real estate-wise). I generally prefer to hold my device in landscape, so I know what you mean. But I am going to be adding some more features which will mean changing the design somewhat. I'll play around with landscape mode if the design changes significantly. Thanks again for trying the app!

• edited February 2017

@ecamburn said:

@skiphunt said:

@TheVimFuego said:
    Neat find, here's hoping for more developments. I'd chuck some $ at it for more integration, Link, etc.

+1

+another

+Another from me in case the developer sees this thread.

His other app, Langton's Ant, https://appsto.re/pt/ljYeeb.i would also have great potential if it had Link and Midi Out.

• This is my kind of dev. The ant app is pleasingly divergent.

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    The comparisons to patterning and sector are inevitable but the special sauce here is quite different (spinning and smart permutations). Color me impressed.

Imagine if you could record the movement of the spinning of the objects ala borderlands.

:o

Dev - please add iaa, ab and link and take my money!

• This is a remarkable free app, and I would gladly pay $$$ for more features.

• It allowed me to import from AS, the samples show up on the list, but when loaded I get no sound. Anyone successfully import?

• @JC_vt said:
    It allowed me to import from AS, the samples show up on the list, but when loaded I get no sound. Anyone successfully import?

Works for me. You using WAV files?

• Yes, .wav files. Good to learn it works for you, will continue to experiment

@lukesleepwalker said:

@JC_vt said:
    It allowed me to import from AS, the samples show up on the list, but when loaded I get no sound. Anyone successfully import?

Works for me. You using WAV files?

• I got a reply back from Jeff and he seems keen to add features if the interest is there, and it clearly is.

He said he'd probably start with MIDI out and then IAA and AB. Link is less likely due to the structure of the app but he uses Live as his main DAW so it's not out of the question.

He is registered on this forum but cannot post due to something needing to be approved.

Overall positive vibes for this one and I'm looking forward to seeing it develop into something unique and really useful in a wider context.

• edited February 2017

HI!
    I'm the developer. Thanks all for the kind words and for the suggestions. This whole thread came as pretty big shock to me (I found it on a google search trying to figure out why my tutorial video was suddenly getting so many views).
    Anyway I originally made the app so that I could improvise electronic music (alone or with a group) without having material prepared beforehand. I do computer music often (usually with SuperCollider), but use a DAW only rarely and I'm fairly new to iOS Audio, so I wasn't really thinking about the broader eco-system. Also, although I really hoped other people would find Concentric Rhythm interesting, I didn't have any clear idea who its audience might be or if it would even find one. That's why it's loaded with transformations and other mathy things, but missing those basic eco-system related features.
    But since there clearly is an interest in extra features, I'll definitely see what I can do. For starters, I will focus on sending midi out, as well as IAA and Audiobus compatibility. I might, as many of you have suggested, have midi out as an IAP. Some of the other ideas that have been suggested here are a little trickier, e.g., Link, which is a fairly hard API to adapt to after the fact. But Link looks very cool (and when I do use a DAW, I use Live), so I will look into it.

Anyhow, thanks for all the suggestions and encouragement. I kind of feel like I wrote the app in a vacuum, so it's nice to know people find it interesting. When I make some progress, I'll post back.
    Cheers,
    Jeff

Edit: Looks like I totally missed TheVimFuego's post. Sorry for the repetition.

• @JeffH said:
    HI!
    I'm the developer. Thanks all for the kind words and for the suggestions. This whole thread came as pretty big shock to me (I found it on a google search trying to figure out why my tutorial video was suddenly getting so many views).
    Anyway I originally made the app so that I could improvise electronic music (alone or with a group) without having material prepared beforehand. I do computer music often (usually with SuperCollider), but use a DAW only rarely and I'm fairly new to iOS Audio, so I wasn't really thinking about the broader eco-system. Also, although I really hoped other people would find Concentric Rhythm interesting, I didn't have any clear idea who its audience might be or if it would even find one. That's why it's loaded with transformations and other mathy things, but missing those basic eco-system related features.
    But since there clearly is an interest in extra features, I'll definitely see what I can do. For starters, I will focus on sending midi out, as well as IAA and Audiobus compatibility. I might, as many of you have suggested, have midi out as an IAP. Some of the other ideas that have been suggested here are a little trickier, e.g., Link, which is a fairly hard API to adapt to after the fact. But Link looks very cool (and when I do use a DAW, I use Live), so I will look into it.

Anyhow, thanks for all the suggestions and encouragement. I kind of feel like I wrote the app in a vacuum, so it's nice to know people find it interesting. When I make some progress, I'll post back.
    Cheers,
    Jeff

Thank's and great to hear!
    I would give an arm for midi out via different midi channels per circle (i even would give 2 arms if someone would make such a midi FX for Logic and/or as AU/VST).
    I wish you good luck and we really appreciate your app!

• @JeffH said:
    HI!

Cheers,
    Jeff

Hey @JeffH. welcome to the forums :)
    Even if link is hard to implement just midi clock sync would suffice for now.
    atleast then i can use "midi link sync" to get it to play with my other link apps.
    that and midi out with multiple channels per circle. these 2 additions would
    make the app a permanent part of my setup :D

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@JeffH said:
    HI!

Cheers,
    Jeff

Hey @JeffH. welcome to the forums :)
    Even if link is hard to implement just midi clock sync would suffice for now.
    atleast then i can use "midi link sync" to get it to play with my other link apps.
    that and midi out with multiple channels per circle. these 2 additions would
    make the app a permanent part of my setup :D

Second that, no need to rewrite the whole thing when there is a decent workaround and other tastier additions could be implemented sooner.

• edited February 2017

I just saw the whole tutorial now and it´s not only great i would go so far and say that it is the most user friendly and awesome app for creating euclidian beats and polyrhythmic stuff i ever saw yet.
    It´s a real gem for me! Best app since a long time for my iPhone!
    I know i want a bit too much but if this would gets really midi out/per channel and on top midi cc for each step it would be go straight to my number one midi tools.
    I really felt in love with it and want to control my other iOS apps and my VST/AU´s with it.

• I saw his other videos like this and wonder where i could get something like this....

It's just brilliant and i want something like this as midi app with an lfo to control this.
    There is so much potential.........

• edited February 2017

@Cib said:
    I saw his other videos like this and wonder where i could get something like this....

It's just brilliant and i want something like this as midi app with an lfo to control this.

Maybe this one.....

Rhythm Necklace - Geometric Sequencer' van Sam Tarakajian
    https://appsto.re/nl/YSX54.i

Seems like a similar app, but supports midi in and out.

• @Proto said:

@Cib said:
    I saw his other videos like this and wonder where i could get something like this....

Maybe this one.....

Rhythm Necklace - Geometric Sequencer' van Sam Tarakajian
    https://appsto.re/nl/YSX54.i

Seems like a similar app, but supports midi in and out.

The latest update seems a while ago but it looks interesting, thank´s!
    I´m a sucker for these kind of apps. It´s nearly impossible to find things in the app store without a direct link these days :|

• @Samu , where the heck are ya on this one? Lol

• @Telstar5 said:
    @Samu , where the heck are ya on this one? Lol

Busy testing BM3 so you'll all have an amazing experience when it finally arrives :D

• @JeffH said:

(...)

Cheers, Jeff

Great to see you here!! :)

I enjoyed Langton's Ant very much - thank you for offering it! In case you are looking for some ideas...

...i would appreciate it very, very much,
    1) to get more than one drum instrument in parallel
    2) to get an option/operation mode that a cell is not a single note, but an editable small pattern (of 4 or 8 notes).
    (interface idea: double clicking on coloured dot in "Color Scheme" - or even additional option for "Edit Color Scheme")
    This Mini-Pattern would make it very easy to create simple (or even complex) dance music. Changing the direction of the ant would transpose the whole mini-pattern (instead of transposing a single note). With a mini-pattern-Editor it would maybe even possible to offer 2 or 3 different note-lengths, create small rhytm patters - like the widely acceptetd Oohmph-Tsss-Ohhmpf-Tsss. In the very unlikely case this wish (smallpattern-edit for single cells) can get implemented, an option for "blocking" the transpose function would be great (for example, to get the Bd/Oohmpf every fourth note, and only the rest of the pattern-notes transpose with changing of the direction of the ant)

I know: Too much wish/feature requesting!

But in case it gets implemented,

• then we have a working composition tool on the basis of Langton's Ant
    • really wonderful music will result from it - which auto-evolves and could get complex (and wonderful!) enough even for serious live use
    • i would pay

3) Third idea. SORRY!! A "death" or "degrading" parameter could be interesting - maybe in connection with "Edit Color Scheme": Then it can be set per color, so, that a color automatically gets white ("dies") after a count of "500", "1000" or such parameter (which can be set). Or it automatically degrades the color to another color after a special count is achieved. This "death-parameter" would simulate the behavior of biological systems - which could even lead to simulate the behavior of tumor growth for example - and in general could help to automatically reduce complexity/chaos, which is helpful for musically usage.

• Welcome, @JeffH! I'll be the voice of dissent and say that Link is essential here, especially given your vision for the app as a live serendipity engine. Although it'd be ideal to have IAA/AB, I could use this app on a dedicated iPhone in my live setup with Link. I could imagine that MIDI learn for the permutations would then be amazing so that I could use a hardware controller in a live situation. Nice work!

• @JeffH Well done Jeff, interesting work. As a non-live fiddler, I would vote for the AB/IAA/MIDI options/upgrade.

• Hi @jeffH and thanks for the amazing app. I too agree with the rabble above about adding midi/link but I also hope that you add more of the transformational mathy options. That is what makes this app so appealing. Nice job!

• @RJB said:
    Hi @jeffH and thanks for the amazing app. I too agree with the rabble above about adding midi/link but I also hope that you add more of the transformational mathy options. That is what makes this app so appealing. Nice job!

+zillion.

• Brilliant. Great app! This is polyrhythm heaven. I agree, some way, anyway to sync would be worth money. A (nother) star is born

• In amongst all the other great updates and releases I bear great news ...

@JeffH has been busy ... the proposed feature list sounds just like what we want.

I shall leave him to provide the details but Good (integrated) Things are afoot.

• @TheVimFuego said:
    In amongst all the other great updates and releases I bear great news ...

@JeffH has been busy ... the proposed feature list sounds just like what we want.

I shall leave him to provide the details but Good (integrated) Things are afoot.

Splendiferous!

• @skiphunt said:

@TheVimFuego said:
    In amongst all the other great updates and releases I bear great news ...

Splendiferous!

I will be having a play with the Beta tonight. Let's just say my MIDI interface may be involved (amongst other improvements).

• edited March 2017

It's lovely.

• I see what you did there