Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

DA ONE - new synthesizer (a 10/38-oscillator behemoth!)

Comments

• @Littlewoodg said:
    Hi @Fritz
    Best $6 I've spent on the AppStore in a long time. Great work: a huge synth that's incredibly accessible. My favorite synth GUI since ever.

I'm glad you like it. I was actually thinking quite a lot about how to make a GUI that works with nearly 300 parameters. In fact in the early stages of the synth engine development I used a simple GUI with hundreds of sliders and came to the conclusion that that's definitely not the way to go for the app.

• So how do you tweak the filters and set the envelopes and stuff? I like VA synths and this looks unique enough but I was more sold before I saw the video and pics, left me a little confused to be honest. More info on the workflow would be appreciated.

• @firejan82 said:
    So how do you tweak the filters and set the envelopes and stuff? I like VA synths and this looks unique enough but I was more sold before I saw the video and pics, left me a little confused to be honest. More info on the workflow would be appreciated.

I had the same question then bought it without asking (addict me)

It worked out well in this case. You tap the Module/box that you want to tweak and the box in the lower right fills in with the sliders/selections for parameters of that module, e.g. tap a wave table oscillator box, and you get the sliders for envelopes gain, skew, wave index, and selections for which table you want, "stone", "sync saw", "voice Eeh" etc etc.

Tap an envelope and you get the attack decay etc. some stuff is drawable...

• @Littlewoodg said:

@firejan82 said:
    So how do you tweak the filters and set the envelopes and stuff? I like VA synths and this looks unique enough but I was more sold before I saw the video and pics, left me a little confused to be honest. More info on the workflow would be appreciated.

I had the same question then bought it without asking (addict me)

It worked out well in this case. You tap the Module/box that you want to tweak and the box in the lower right fills in with the sliders/selections for parameters of that module, e.g. tap a wave table oscillator box, and you get the sliders for envelopes gain, skew, wave index, and selections for which table you want, "stone", "sync saw", "voice Eeh" etc etc.

Tap an envelope and you get the attack decay etc. some stuff is drawable...

I see. Cheers

• @Fritz said:

Hi Fritz and congrats on the release. Couldn't see the video you mentioned...the links above appear to be a duplicate...

Hi Johnny,
    Thanks. Yes, actually depending on the device you're using, you may not be able to see the video. Just understood this now. :-D So I posted the video on the Facebook page, too.

I have a very intense Facebook allergy. It would be very nice - if possible - to upload the video to youtube or such.

• I can see the video linked to in the original post. What devices or user-agents can't see it, and what do they see instead? Just the static screenshot?

• I'm still on 9.3.5. Wouldn't let me buy. Ugh.

• Here's a new Audiobus enable synth:

Please edit the app details page with technical details

IAA-MIDI?
    Mappable controls?
    Link?

etc...

• @Panthemusicalgoat said:
    Once again for live situations I wish these apps were universal. I dont like lugging an ipad around when an iPhone and a midi controller with suffice. Sorry I know I'm on a universal app crusade and I apologize for the one track rant but most musicians are using plus phones not ipads for live gigs. Just some food for thought

That's nothing compared to how we used to have to lug pianos around.

• @not_elvis said:
    I'm still on 9.3.5. Wouldn't let me buy. Ugh.

I'll add iOS 9 support with the 1.1 update. There was a weird GUI bug on iOS 9 which I discovered shortly before submitting so I set the the required iOS to 10.

• Did I miss something, I thought the introductory price was for the feb 16 & 17? It's appearing as $7.99 here in the U.S.

• @Fritz said:

@not_elvis said:
    I'm still on 9.3.5. Wouldn't let me buy. Ugh.

I'll add iOS 9 support with the 1.1 update. There was a weird GUI bug on iOS 9 which I discovered shortly before submitting so I set the the required iOS to 10.

Thanks Fritz. I just bought it through iTunes. Can't wait to give it a go when you eventually update it.

• edited February 2017

The app is very straight forward to get going with for me so far without reading a manual. You can get some very clean sounds which can then be run through effects for developing your own vibe with them. Many synths have very overwhelming sonic textures which can be difficult to work around and what you've got going in a setup. It would definitely be very nice to have MIDI Learn for the controls.

@Fritz like the synth so far and look forward to the improvements you have planned. It would be very nice to be able to receive MIDI from more than one source simultaneously and if the app advertised it's MIDI in port so other apps could send MIDI to it.

Using the random button on the routing is a practical way to get variations of your current presets.

• @reV01D said:
    Did I miss something, I thought the introductory price was for the feb 16 & 17? It's appearing as $7.99 here in the U.S.

I live in US and I just bought it a couple minutes ago for $5.99

• Nice work @Fritz Really like this synth, very easy to get new sounds without knowing what I'm doing. I echo all the feature requests and hope it gets an AU extension.

Please if possible make it an IAA instrument too so it has it's own port. Currently I'm connected to my audio midi interface and it can only see a maximum of 5 ports, but the one I want is off the list so more port options are needed.

many thanks :)

• Bought this. Wasn't wild about the presets, but getting some cool stuff via random. Please add background audio. :)

• @InfoCheck said:
    @Fritz like the synth so far and look forward to the improvements you have planned. It would be very nice to be able to receive MIDI from more than one source simultaneously and if the app advertised it's MIDI in port so other apps could send MIDI to it.

I just added it to my to do list. Btw, what is the point of using multiple inputs simultaneously? DA ONE is not multitimbral.

• The basics tutorial video is online now:
    FB: https://www.facebook.com/mnsignalprocessing/videos/1092957390812581/
    YouTube:

• edited February 2017

@Fritz said:

@InfoCheck said:

I just added it to my to do list. Btw, what is the point of using multiple inputs simultaneously? DA ONE is not multitimbral.

@Fritz said:

@InfoCheck said:

@Fritz said:

@InfoCheck said:

If you follow through on adding MIDI to controls, you can have one app sending note messages and another to send CC to operate the controls. In a live situation, someone may use a foot controller to switch between presets or use a sequencer for some aspects of the performance and a MIDI keyboard for others and would rather have all of the connections ready and tested at the beginning of the set rather than have to change it during the performance.

• Sounds great and love the fact that putting it in record mode and then stopping it immediately opens the "Open In" menu so I can dump loops right into AS. MIDISTEPS is a good driver. Thanks!

• @Fritz said:

@InfoCheck said:

1 use case is using multiple different appregiator apps running in different times sending midi to the same synth. you can create a ton of polyrhythmic material this way. and also a lot of happy accidents :) sure. you could do this using an app like modstep to do the routing but being able to do it directly is useful as well :D

• Ok I see your points regarding multiple MIDI interfaces

• Yeah, just makes things a whole lot easier when you have multiple midi controllers and apps, so you don't have to keep going into the DA One midi settings to select a different source each time.

• edited February 2017

Beautiful work, this synth is amazing @Fritz. I would like to also echo the request for an audio unit extension. I feel the design of the synth would be perfectly fit to becoming an AU. To further this point I made a mock up of what could be, if your up to it.

• @Fritz
    A fascinating synth with an innovative interface, I really like it. Very nice release!

I hope you can add a few things that I think are essential for a smooth user experience
    -- background audio
    -- IAA instrument
    -- auto connect to external midi controller

I have to say, these I'd expect from a premium synth. (Of course, au would be nice as well -- but that would probably mean a different level of time committment)

• @reV01D said:
    Beautiful work, this synth is amazing @Fritz. I would like to also echo the request for an audio unit extension. I feel the design of the synth would be perfectly fit to becoming an AU. To further this point I made a mock up of what could be, if your up to it.

Nice concept, I like it. :-) AU is not something for the next update but I'm definitely considering it (also because that would be a step towards a MacOS AU, too).

@nick said:
    @Fritz
    A fascinating synth with an innovative interface, I really like it. Very nice release!

Thank you. :-)

I hope you can add a few things that I think are essential for a smooth user experience
    -- background audio
    -- IAA instrument

Background audio is active when it's connected to Audiobus, but of course I can make it active all the time, too. IAA is something I'm looking into for the next update (so far it's just the Audiobus implementation that provides some IAA compatibility).
    But what do you mean by auto connect? That the app should automatically connect to any MIDI source it can get a hold of? Or that it should automatically connect to a new interface that is plugged in / becomes available on the network?

• @Fritz said:

@reV01D said:

Nice concept, I like it. :-) AU is not something for the next update but I'm definitely considering it (also because that would be a step towards a MacOS AU, too).

@nick said:
    @Fritz

Thank you. :-)

-- background audio
    -- IAA instrument

Background audio is active when it's connected to Audiobus, but of course I can make it active all the time, too.

yes, please do. this would be an essential feature. strangely enough, when I tried the AB workaround to get backround audio, I still got no sound out of DA ONE when it was not in the foreground.

IAA is something I'm looking into for the next update (so far it's just the Audiobus implementation that provides some IAA compatibility).

Great to hear! hopefully not too hard to implement

But what do you mean by auto connect? That the app should automatically connect to any MIDI source it can get a hold of? Or that it should automatically connect to a new interface that is plugged in / becomes available on the network?

no, just auto connect if the synth detects that a midi keyboard is connected. virtually every iOS instrument does that so it is a kind of expected behaviour. So if a midi keyboard is already plugged in when the app starts, automatically connect to it. And when a midi keyboard gets plugged in while app is running, connect to it automatically.

• no, just auto connect if the synth detects that a midi keyboard is connected. virtually every iOS instrument does that so it is a kind of expected behaviour. So if a midi keyboard is already plugged in when the app starts, automatically connect to it. And when a midi keyboard gets plugged in while app is running, connect to it automatically.

Should this happen only for hardware MIDI interfaces or also the Network ones?

• @Fritz said:

no, just auto connect if the synth detects that a midi keyboard is connected. virtually every iOS instrument does that so it is a kind of expected behaviour. So if a midi keyboard is already plugged in when the app starts, automatically connect to it. And when a midi keyboard gets plugged in while app is running, connect to it automatically.

Should this happen only for hardware MIDI interfaces or also the Network ones?

For virtual connections, I don't know exactly how it works technically, if the synth would actively connect to a virtual midi controller or rather give a message to the controller that it is there and then the midi app does the connection,
    But from a user perspective, SoundPrism pro for example sends out notes and the instrument apps simply receive it, generally speaking. It is then in the SPP settings, in this example, that user can filter who receives the midi and who doesn't.