Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Advice to ALL that got crackles with your soundcard or iPad...

2»

Comments

• edited February 2017

Well...I retested today, all was very stable with the cheap usb cable but with the latest cck3...
    Then, used on the other iPad, the cck2, with the pricey cable returned "this device is not recognised" but the usb device (a soundcard, so something important...) it worked anyway !!!
    So, yes it improve things.

If I use the old cck + the cheap usb cable, "this device is not recognised" message will appear, AND the usb device is really not working ! Or maybe sometimes, but I have to plug/replug, switch off, 4, 5 times...Maybe more.
    So it does have an impact somehow...

I guess it's more 90% related to the CCK...The pricey cable can be a way to secure things, but it will not increase the quality. (that's what I thought because of the stability on the first time, here there might be a bit of placebo, but it sounded so clean...well...anyway...)

So if you've tested everything about latency etc...And you still have random glitches, parasites on audio (not just micro beak while you switching apps) I would recommend it.

Other lesson learned: a cck even from apple can die slowly and maliciously...Or can become "oldschool" (as cck3 is usb 3, and ipad pro is usb3, cck 2 is usb 2) and this kind of pricey cable secure things, not in a huge manner, but just enough to make things right and stable.(and also you becoming completely exasperate ;) )

• I am curious...what sound card are you using and what latency do you have set on the SC?

• edited February 2017

@soundklinik I'm glad you fucking ask Jean-Pierre ! :D
    Well it's more complicated than that for 3 reasons...(actually 4)

But, atm, on my IconnectAudio4+, I'm at 512, 2 iPads connected thru usb.
    One iPad is my super mixer, with effects.
    The other are for my main synths and some effects.

Then I have a 3rd iPad, connected to a VoiceLiveTouch thru usb (it emulate a sound card, I just use it to have a stereo out + a cool multieffect) then it's connected to a mixer, then here I add some external gears (TB3, soon TR09, a mininova) then I send this premix to the input 1/2 of the ICA4+.
    This one, is dedicated mainly for drums, but also some synths, and it runs at 256.

Then, I got a 4th iPad pro last week, connected thru usb to a VoiceLiveTouch 2, then his 2 out goes to the 3/4 in of the ICA4+. This one runs at 128. He's dedicated to voices (I plug an out from the mininova + a mic in it) and pass the signal of the iPad so there's also additional synths in it...

Running a total of 45 apps(didn't count multiple AUx instances...) , 3 midi controllers (soon 4), 4 instance of Modstep, all in sync...and playing with one button.
    I must say that running Turnado in cascade mode and/or in parallel, which is something I achieved 3 weeks ago, is really fun.

No Audiobus atm cos it's far to limited (sorry) except for poorly synths designed that does not include Program Change but claiming state saving just to be in the list that makes them sell more, (I think I don't post anything without these two words lately PROGRAM F.... CHANGE) but waiting to see if AB3 is a game changer...

So 512, or something.

• @crony said:

Then I have a 3rd iPad, connected to a VoiceLiveTouch thru usb (it emulate a sound card, I just use it to have a stereo out + a cool multieffect) then it's connected to a mixer, then here I add some external gears (TB3, soon TR09, a mininova) then I send this premix to the input 1/2 of the ICA4+.
    This one, is dedicated mainly for drums, but also some synths, and it runs at 256.

Then, I got a 4th iPad pro last week, connected thru usb to a VoiceLiveTouch 2, then his 2 out goes to the 3/4 in of the ICA4+. This one runs at 128. He's dedicated to voices (I plug an out from the mininova + a mic in it) and pass the signal of the iPad so there's also additional synths in it...

Running a total of 45 apps(didn't count multiple AUx instances...) , 3 midi controllers (soon 4), 4 instance of Modstep, all in sync...and playing with one button.
    I must say that running Turnado in cascade mode and/or in parallel, which is something I achieved 3 weeks ago, is really fun.

No Audiobus atm cos it's far to limited (sorry) except for poorly synths designed that does not include Program Change but claiming state saving just to be in the list that makes them sell more, (I think I don't post anything without these two words lately PROGRAM F.... CHANGE) but waiting to see if AB3 is a game changer...

So 512, or something.

i seriously wish i had a setup like that. sounds like it would be super fun :D

• Cable or no cable, with the DAC and the amount of signal overhead from all those devices, I'm surprised you get the amount of signal success you do. That's a hella lot of traffic for a low/medium-spec audio interface.

• @decibelle said:
    Cable or no cable, with the DAC and the amount of signal overhead from all those devices, I'm surprised you get the amount of signal success you do. That's a hella lot of traffic for a low/medium-spec audio interface.

wholeheartedly agree on this point.

• just fyi: 'digital' is in fact about zeroes and ones... at the end of the chain.
    But it's transmitted purely analog in modulated high frequency waves, there's no way to move sigle bits through copper lanes ;)
    Same applies to classic harddisks: while the application context is digital, the content is analog and the controller uses (very) sophisticated signal processing routines.
    So proper cable choice is important, though price is mostly defined by mechanical attributes (and of course marketing).

• @Telefunky thanks for your input.
    That reminds me while I created my talkbox.( because of a great forum giving lots of good advices given by cool dudes, like here :) ) I was happy because I first made the soldering with wires from old electronic stuffs that has to be trashed.
    The multimeter was giving the ok as all "circuit" was correctly connected, but it wasn't working...like at all...
    Then a friend, who happens to be a real electronic pro, knowing how to make soldering, explained to me that wires and soldering MUST be clean, that was it.
    He did a marvelous job, with premium wires, clean soldering, then, it worked marvelously directly...
    I offered him a nice bottle of wine as payment :)

So with "10 billions" more infos running thru usb, it must, has indeed, something to do with the quality of wires...
    I got back to the shop, they don't have any more this usb cable at that price. Too bad, at 10 €, I would have take more...

• Deleted a few posts. Stay on topic, everyone.

• @crony said:

So 512, or something.

So is there anything we can here with this rather impressive set up?

What does all these iPads and apps sound like?

Link to the magic?

• I am just a simple man.

I am confused on something.

With all these devices what would program change be needed for? You can essentially run a difference instance of another app with a different preset on a different device.

You also mentioned all the AU apps used. What would program save and change even matter for them? It is nearly unlimited instances you can run?

You don't use audiobus but use 5 ipads are whatever it is and x amount of this and that with more of something here or there.........................

MAYBE IF YOU ACTUALLY USED AUDIOIBUS YOU WOULD NOT REQUIRE SUCH A MASSIVE CORNUCOPIA OF IOS WIZARDRY AND AUDIO ENGINEERING FEATS.

Why don't you use Audiobus again?

Before you had twelve iPads and 7 midi controllers, how did you make music with just 1 or 2 ipads?

How do you know Audiobus doesn't work for you again?

Audiobus is like music making lube, it makes the whole thing easier.

But since I haven't seen a video or you making music, maybe I am wrong. Maybe you are the new face of electronic music.

Are you? Please do tell.

• @Rustik sure ! Still in rowing, it took long to setup, and still have some midi bugs, but at this point this is what is sound's like:

https://soundcloud.com/rozwell-music

• @crony said:
    @Rustik sure ! Still in rowing, it took long to setup, and still have some midi bugs, but at this point this is what is sound's like:

https://soundcloud.com/rozwell-music

Well, I automatically give you points for the alien awareness.

Secondly, the 2 songs I listened to were cool. My liking actually.

Glitchy Footwork with some ethereal vocals.

• edited February 2017

No problem, I like to share, that's why I'm here :)
    Program Change is very important to me, because like this I wish I could set directly into the midi file, (in my case Modstep), which sound are assigned on what midi channel. (I don't use sample that much, except with Launchpad, but it's quite punctual )
    No matter what if I transfer the midi file to any DAW on any OS, as long as I have this, and my synths connected thru midi, I'm good to go.
    Also, what ever number iPad I've got, (and if I travel, I usually have just one), I can have my sound setup then export then bla bla bla...
    Also, in a live perspective, it's very useful, because actually, with Audiobus and save state, you are loading 1 time, 1 session.
    Problem is, a live, is made with multiple tracks, sometimes different audio and midi routing.
    If you play your tracks one by one, with a break between them, that might be okay, in case of your preset don't crash a synth or anything else...AB itself sometimes. Due to itself, IOS, an other app, the wind that blows too much...
    It's too difficult to handle for all the dev, and it will be forever, so I simplified their tasks, and mine, with going straight to what I need, just with a midi file, which is universal...Normally...

Not sure AUx can't handle PC, I think it's mostly none implemented, but there are some good synths, but I'm still confident that it will be more implemented in the futur.
    Then, like you, I'm just a man :) and I can't stop using some of greats synths I've paid because of this.
    So I try to limit the instances, to save CPU, and headaches...
    Now I don't buy anymore any good sounding app without PC.
    I think everybody should do the same.
    It is like if someone cutted your arm, and then sell you a third leg, that can also fold like your original arm. Great, but you still have toes, and not fingers at the end of your new leg... Don't worry, there will be an upgrade soon, the "thumb upgrade", cool, but you still can't do what you were doing before, so wait for the next update...
    That does not make sense at all.

I don't use AB anymore because it's an additional app, and AUM, brings more to my needs than AB.
    I might use AB again for some projects, but I've been trying to avoid it to first stabilise my set, and make my experience without it.
    Less is more sometimes. Seems ironic as I'm using 4 iPads Pro (and that will be all I think, and actually I haven't done any video with all 4, cos I got the latest 2 weeks ago)
    But they're not here to just add CPU or to launch XXX instances of everything.
    They are all here for really good reasons, believe me...

To be honest, I've produced much more with less ipads, but with real gears.
    A long time ago, I released a record, and their was 3 synths, and an Amiga 500 as a sequencer...
    It's definitely faster, you get to the point directly.
    But as I said, I'm in rowing with this new config.
    I wanted something modular, powerful, light, and stable.
    Now the real fun is about to start, hope I'll get inspiration, which is not always the case I have to admit.

And no, I just wanna have fun, really, I like to learn, and sometimes invest in projects a bit crazy, like this one...

• @RustiK did I answer to your questions ?

• Test it on this:

• Obviously I can't just leave that there without also putting this here:

• For that you get this:

• edited March 2017

Hmm ? Cool tracks but...Don't get it... :D

• It was the crackles

• @u0421793 said:
    It was the crackles

Ok, got it after seing the title of the post...Good one... :)> @kgmessier said:

This will help.

Invasion of trolls of the night... ;)