Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Trying to fit in.

Comments

• Do your own thing, I say. Unless you're trying to write a hit / 'in the style of', in which case, you've got your work cut out for you.
    Conforming to a style / structure is not something I would spend my time trying to do, better to succeed (or fail) on your own terms !

• I have departed from more mainstream electronic music in pursuit of more lofi, footwork, or downtempo industrial crossover type things.

I know it will never be a Grammy winner, but, I know it leaves me excited on the inside.

• Make what you want, when you want, & how you want, so long as your having a fabulous time in creating it. Whether it's your own stuff, or a cover, or a Remix, or a copy of some else'swork. Have fun doing it............ as Robert Nesta Marley wrote in one of his songs, "One good thing about Music, is that you feel no pain......... So Hit me with music........ So Brutelize Me with music....... " etc. That's fine, but until you hear my Grandmother whistling to one of her Ink Spots songs on her CD's.............. So, that's not quite true Mr Marley. There is some pain. Lol :D

• I think the elephant in the room here is the fact that, if your like me, you want to share the music you've put so much of yourself into with a greater audience.
    Being true to yourself as an artist and crafting a tune that people will listen to is a fine line to walk.

• The TRex in the corner for me now is that there isn't much point in putting in a lot of work to make my stuff presentable to the few others out there who may 'like' it (thumbs up, whoopeedoo). The audience / rewards are too small to bother sharing now. Maybe when I retire I will enjoy fostering a tiny audience.

• Some interesting views here.....I think what I take from this is just carry on doing what I'm doing and don't think about it :)
    And that if I did want to consciously try and make money from music then make music specifically for that purpose and largely forget about the art.

• Vanity of vanities; all is vanity.
    Ecclesiastes 1:2

Just do it.
    Nike

• edited February 2017

@AndyPlankton said:
    Some interesting views here.....I think what I take from this is just carry on doing what I'm doing and don't think about it :)
    And that if I did want to consciously try and make money from music then make music specifically for that purpose and largely forget about the art.

I'm def not saying if you want to make money do only for that purpose and forget about the art, didn't mean to give that impression if I did. My main two points were try not to serve somebody else something that you wouldn't want to pay for yourself, and secondly really qualify whom you're going to sell your art to.... Often artist of all kinds feel like people should appreciate what they do just because they are artist and created something, like the act of the creation itself is enough on their part to garner appreciation and imho that's fine in a bubble but I try not to just force my art on ears that weren't primed for it... It's kind of like inviting friends and family to your show every week, it becomes an obligatory exercise and very close to selling legal shield insurance. This really is just my opinion for my music personally so to each their own for sure. I only want people to suffer through it if it's what they're looking for, this allows me to not have to compromise artistically, also gives me an indefinite break from having to carry around the burden of how good or not good my music is outside of that internal bar which I set for myself, which in turn makes it allot more enjoyable for me to make. It just makes sense to me that knowing your audience makes sharing your music a more enjoyable experience.

• I don't recall who said it, but I always liked this philosophy: "I make the kind of music I want to hear."

To me, it's like there are little holes in the universe waiting to be filled in with songs it's up to you to write. If you wait too long, someone else will fill it in, and you'll have to find yourself a new hole. The nice thing is there are many such holes to be found.

• Another thing to consider is that long term success in the music business is an anomaly. The vast majority of music artists that have had sustainable careers are still capitalizing on the success of their heyday. I can't think of too many artists that have consistently produced new, successful material over a long period of time.

• @telecharge said:
    Another thing to consider is that long term success in the music business is an anomaly. The vast majority of music artists that have had sustainable careers are still capitalizing on the success of their heyday. I can't think of too many artists that have consistently produced new, successful material over a long period of time.

I think most people ('artists' is a slippery semantic slope) who have had sustainable careers in music do work for hire.

• @AudioGus said:
    I think most people ('artists' is a slippery semantic slope) who have had sustainable careers in music do work for hire.

Yeah, I'm not interested in semantics. Music is commonly accepted as an art form. Whether one appreciates it as such, is another matter.

• @telecharge said:

@AudioGus said:

Yeah, I'm not interested in semantics. Music is commonly accepted as an art form. Whether one appreciates it as such, is another matter.

Right, I just mean the jobs within the industry may or may not qualify one as an 'artist'.

• @AudioGus said:
    Right, I just mean the jobs within the industry may or may not qualify one as an 'artist'.

I get where you're coming from, but Andy's question is about making music. That's why I specifically referred to artists. I'm sure there are many in the music industry that have had successful careers without actually creating any music.

• @telecharge said:

@AudioGus said:

I get where you're coming from, but Andy's question is about making music. That's why I specifically referred to artists. I'm sure there are many in the music industry that have had successful careers without actually creating any music.

yah I was referring to making music.

• @MonzoPro said:
    So despite my reputation of being a half-mad avant gardist, I can play a tune if I have to, but it really depends on the target audience. For me the non-conformist stuff is important - it's how I learn, in secret, to do new things that might one day find a home in front of an audience.

Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.

• edited February 2017

@Moderndaycompiler said:

@MonzoPro said:
    So despite my reputation of being a half-mad avant gardist, I can play a tune if I have to, but it really depends on the target audience. For me the non-conformist stuff is important - it's how I learn, in secret, to do new things that might one day find a home in front of an audience.

That's the thing - I grew up listening to Zappa, Beefheart, Residents, Faust etc. and I currently work along to day-long playlists of Nurse With Wound and Coil. Experimental music is the norm here, I have to really knuckle down and concentrate to play 'normal' stuff, and listening to radio-friendly pop makes my teeth itch.

• @MonzoPro said:

@Moderndaycompiler said:

@MonzoPro said:

That's the thing - I grew up listening to Zappa, Beefheart, Residents, Faust etc. and I currently work along to day-long playlists of Nurse With Wound and Coil. Experimental music is the norm here, I have to really knuckle down and concentrate to play 'normal' stuff, and listening to radio-friendly pop makes my teeth itch.

Lucky the man who still has his teeth
    Instead of the holes that were once underneath
    Lucky the man who eats kidney and more
    Instead of we fools who must drink through the straw

• Being an art form/work and being a commodity bought/sold are not mutually exclusive.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Moderndaycompiler said:

@MonzoPro said:

Have you been talking to my dentist?

• @MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Moderndaycompiler said:

@MonzoPro said:

Hang on. You ARE the dentist, and I can see you've booked me in for a double appointment at your clinic tomorrow down at the Club. Like the last visit, I don't want any anaesthetic thank you. I prefer to feel every ounce of pain in those nerve endings. Love it. ;)

• @Bluepunk said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Moderndaycompiler said:

@MonzoPro said:

Hang on. You ARE the dentist, and I can see you've booked me in for a double appointment at your clinic tomorrow down at the Club. Like the last visit, I don't want any anaesthetic thank you. I prefer to feel every ounce of pain in those nerve endings. Love it. ;)

Who needs a drill when you've got an iVCS3 and a 100 watt Orange bass combo?

• @RulesOfBlazon said:
    Vanity of vanities; all is vanity.

Just do it.
    Nike

My favorite bit of scripture
    The Ecclesiastes, not the Nike

• @MonzoPro said:

@Moderndaycompiler said:

@MonzoPro said:

Mmm Beefheart is my all time fav. It took me quite a while to learn that my favorite albums were pretty much commercial bombs.

• @JeffChasteen said:

@RulesOfBlazon said:

Just do it.
    Nike

Quite the verse, innit? Used to freak me out a little when I was young, but now that I'm an old fart I find it kinda comforting.

To the discussion topic, I think the lousiest music I ever made was when I fussed too much about fitting it into one bucket or another. When I let go and have fun with it, it's less lousy.

And I'm more of an Adidas guy, but I do like that slogan :p

• @RulesOfBlazon said:

@JeffChasteen said:

@RulesOfBlazon said:

Just do it.
    Nike

Quite the verse, innit? Used to freak me out a little when I was young, but now that I'm an old fart I find it kinda comforting.

To the discussion topic, I think the lousiest music I ever made was when I fussed too much about fitting it into one bucket or another. When I let go and have fun with it, it's less lousy.

And I'm more of an Adidas guy, but I do like that slogan :p

The thing you've got to like about vanity is how it's stayed consistent over all these years.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    The thing you've got to like about vanity is how it's stayed consistent over all these years.

I dunno, seems to have gotten worse in America.

Vanity compelled me to post this opinion.

• @telecharge said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

That's what I'm getting at actually. We (read: me) are pretty certain that Helen Handbasket's riding the downhill train now more than ever she has but then you go back and read The Ecc and realize human beings had been in the business of their own fear and fullness for a fair few years before we showed up smoking our heroin tablets on the internet etc.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@telecharge said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

That's what I'm getting at actually. We (read: me) are pretty certain that Helen Handbasket's riding the downhill train now more than ever she has but then you go back and read The Ecc and realize human beings had been in the business of their own fear and fullness for a fair few years before we showed up smoking our heroin tablets on the internet etc.

You're right -- off to flog myself with a selfie stick.

• Some of the most unsatisfying creativity I have ever had was trying to fit. Trying to fit a brief of what is selling music wise to sell some other non music thing. Then tweaking the unsatisfying thing you made at someone else's request to further zero in on what is wanted. If you want any semblance of joy, fit what you make to what you want to hear.