Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Elastic Drums 2.0 is here

2»

Comments

• @aaronpc said:

@Carnbot said:
    Sometimes the single press action of velocity or Autom buttons stop working until I restart the app.

I also find it impossible to record automation from hardware controllers because you have to press and hold the screen button to record the automation. It should be a single tap to choose what you want recorded....unless I've missed a trick

That doesn't sound right at all.

There is a workaround, if but you still need to use two hands, one on the screen and one on the controller. If you touch the control on screen to set the automation until it highlights, then pull your finger off to the right and hold it, then you can use a controller with your other hand and record your action...

• I would love to be able to change the length of a pattern for playback in song mode. Within a pattern you can set an instrument track to play four times slower, which is great, but when the pattern plays in song mode you only hear the first four steps of that track.

Unless there is something I missed...

• @Carnbot said:
    If you touch the control on screen to set the automation until it highlights, then pull your finger off to the right and hold it, then you can use a controller with your other hand and record your action...

So if you just tap the knob you want to control, it doesn't stay selected awaiting assignment? Weird. If you haven't done a restart yet, now's the time. Outside of that, I'm flummoxed.

• @AudioGus said:
    I would love to be able to change the length of a pattern for playback in song mode. Within a pattern you can set an instrument track to play four times slower, which is great, but when the pattern plays in song mode you only hear the first four steps of that track.

Unless there is something I missed...

Don't think that's possible. It would be nice if you could set a pattern to repeat in the arrange window, rather than having to copy/paste in certain instances, but even that wouldn't work on the fly.

• A Pitch-Velocity quick tip. I figured this out this morning and have been trying to record and upload a video through out the day but kept getting interrupted.

• @gmslayton said:
    A Pitch-Velocity quick tip. I figured this out this morning and have been trying to record and upload a video through out the day but kept getting interrupted.

Yep. Once you get the hang of the little power gestures and tricks, you can do stacks of stuff very quickly. Function over form in this case.

• Nice to see some IOS coverage in Music Radar. I noticed they have been posting a lot more articles on IOS music production over the last couple of months.

http://www.musicradar.com/news/elastic-drums-for-ios-is-now-ableton-live-export-compatible

• @aaronpc said:

@Carnbot said:
    If you touch the control on screen to set the automation until it highlights, then pull your finger off to the right and hold it, then you can use a controller with your other hand and record your action...

So if you just tap the knob you want to control, it doesn't stay selected awaiting assignment? Weird. If you haven't done a restart yet, now's the time. Outside of that, I'm flummoxed.

Does it remain highlighted when you press it?
    It only becomes highlighted when I move the control with my finger.

• @Carnbot said:

@aaronpc said:

@Carnbot said:

Ok. I think I know what's going on here. Have you used Midi Learn to assign your controllers to the knobs yet? That's a separate function. You have to go to Settings on the Mix screen (iPhone) or press the Option button (iPad) to find Midi Learn there at the bottom of the dialog. Once you've set your knob assignments, go back to the Automation button and start recording actions. Make sure your controller is checked for midi note input in the Settings panel.

• @aaronpc said:

@Carnbot said:

@aaronpc said:

@Carnbot said:

Ok. I think I know what's going on here. Have you used Midi Learn to assign your controllers to the knobs yet? That's a separate function. You have to go to Settings on the Mix screen (iPhone) or press the Option button (iPad) to find Midi Learn there at the bottom of the dialog. Once you've set your knob assignments, go back to the Automation button and start recording actions. Make sure your controller is checked for midi note input in the Settings panel.

Yes I've midi learned the controller and can control the knobs via my BCR2000 but can't record automation via the controller without touching the on screen knob at the same time (as soon as you let go of the on screen knob automation recording stops), just wondered if you'd tried recording automation via a controller. yourself.

Does the same on both my ipads so I guess hopefully this will be looked at,

• @Carnbot said:
    Yes I've midi learned the controller and can control the knobs via my BCR2000 but can't record automation via the controller without touching the on screen knob at the same time (as soon as you let go of the on screen knob automation recording stops), just wondered if you'd tried recording automation via a controller. yourself.

Hmm. Okay then. All out of ideas. Works fine with the Quneo and Kontrol49 on both of my devices. Maybe you can throw a video up to make sure something's just not getting across in words.

• @aaronpc said:

@Carnbot said:

Hmm. Okay then. All out of ideas. Works fine with the Quneo and Kontrol49 on both of my devices. Maybe you can throw a video up to make sure something's just not getting across in words.

Ok thanks, then that's strange. To be clearer when you press autom (flashing, waiting for button selection), then press an on screen knob to record the action, does it stay lit when you release your finger?

Ideally it should stay lit up when you release your finger so that you can then record the actions of a midi controller mapped to that knob. But for me when I release my finger it goes back to the non recording mode.

It's possible to record automation from a controller but awkward because I have to have one hand on the screen and another on my controller and then you easily get a conflict between your finger action and your midi controller action.

Unless there's another technique I've missed...
    Hopefully I've explained better but maybe someone else might be having the same thing. :)

• @Carnbot said:

To be clearer when you press autom (flashing, waiting for button selection), then press an on screen knob to record the action, does it stay lit when you release your finger?

Yep. Should stay lit.

Ideally it should stay lit up when you release your finger so that you can then record the actions of a midi controller mapped to that knob. But for me when I release my finger it goes back to the non recording mode.

The only thing I can think of is that you're getting errant midi messages from a different source taking that assignment before you get a chance. Double check your midi settings, close all other apps and make sure the controller doesn't have to go into special mode before assigning. My Quneo has to be put in MODA mode when sending Learn messages.

• @aaronpc said:

@Carnbot said:

To be clearer when you press autom (flashing, waiting for button selection), then press an on screen knob to record the action, does it stay lit when you release your finger?

Yep. Should stay lit.

The only thing I can think of is that you're getting errant midi messages from a different source taking that assignment before you get a chance. Double check your midi settings, close all other apps and make sure the controller doesn't have to go into special mode before assigning. My Quneo has to be put in MODA mode when sending Learn messages.

ok thanks, yes that sounds like it could be it, some kind of midi interference.
    But if I try it unconnected to any midi it's the same result so not sure what's going on, thought that could be it. :)
    The buttons light up continuously in midi learn mode for me, but not in automation mode....oh well

great app though ;)

• @Carnbot said:
    The buttons light up continuously in midi learn mode for me, but not in automation mode....oh well

It does it without the controller even plugged in?

Send the dev Oliver a note. Maybe he can help.

• @aaronpc said:

@Carnbot said:

It does it without the controller even plugged in?

Send the dev Oliver a note. Maybe he can help.

Yes without the controller, I should ask him about it.

• Dunno if i missed this before, but direct microphone recording samples is the honey producing insects middle leg joint. Fxxx yeah!

• @5pinlink said:
    Had hoped for a friendlier way to do chromatic rather than using automation lanes, a shame considering how ridiculously powerful the synth engine is, piano roll and lunear arranger and this is THE groovebox, mobile or desktop.

If they implement something like Beathawks pitch keyboard wed all be in hog heaven. Still a killer app